Historical Plates

mike884

Hello, my brother bought my 85 nighthawk off of me and since he needs to get new plates and all that, I was wondering if anyone has any experience using historical plates, which might save him some $ in the long run. The law states:

To qualify, motor vehicles must be at least 25 years old. They are solely collector's items and are used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, etc. They are NOT for general transportation.

This bike will not be a daily commuter, he might ride it to school/work a few times are week when its nice out. Just curious if anyone has used them and had any issues with the LEOs or anything else? any feedback would be great. thanks

I have historical plates on my 1982 GS 850.

No hassles at all. My bike is not my daily transportation. There is always a bike night someplace. Or if it is the day before, there is always the "shake down" test to be sure the bike will make it to said event.

Check insurance regulations with historical plates. I have one car and two bikes with historical plates. If the $60 per year for plates is an issue, maybe purchasing a motorcycle wasn't a good idea.

I have several bikes 2 which qualify for Hist. plates, one I have on it the other I don't.

Had a friend who was spotted (he took off a bit fast) by a cop returning a movie with his Hist. tags and he rung him up for it.

So its probably allot of it is how you ride. Don't attract attention and you probably won't have a issue.

But if your bro rides like I do (I like my throttle) n ya might not want to give them one more reason for a ticket.

Just sayin'

There is nothing historical about that bike and he will be laughed at by everyone he passes with those plates on.......not that it will pass many cars or bikes :rolleyes:

The Nighthawk was the last of the famed CB line and many consider it the last great UJM. ;)

Yeah.. its not that slow.. good grief... he is a bit more mellow of a rider that is for sure, but I am not sure if he would be quick enough on the "going to a bike night officer", if they pull him over somewhere... maybe its best to leave it alone and go with regular plates. just a thought.. :rolleyes:

"They are NOT for general transportation." != "ride it to school/work a few times are week"

For the cost of a tank of gas he can get regular plates and not worry about a cop pulling him over to ask him which bike show he's headed to.

If he was truly going to comply with the plate's restrictions then sure, go for it. But he can't commute on historical plates.

I had historical plates on my '80 CB 750 and was warned sternly by the registrar that they were not for everyday use. I did ride the bike occasionally just to keep it up. Supposedly that is ok. A friend got what he tells me was a $300 ticket for driving his historic car to work and getting busted.

i have em on my 750, and i also have 73 model year plates on there too.

never had problem one with the historicals. i did have one douchebag cop try to write me a ticket saying the model year plate was invalid. even though it isnt :rolleyes:

as long as you are going anywhere bike related you are fine. if you DO get stopped, say you are going to a club meeting (you and your buddy are the club) or going to do some work on the bike, or are returning from doing some work on the bike at your buddies house. or you are going to get an estimate on paint/part etc etc. hell you are going to WASH it even...

For the cost of a tank of gas he can get regular plates and not worry about a cop pulling him over to ask him which bike show he's headed to.

it costs 30 bucks a year for regular plates... the historicals are 50 bucks one time and are valid for the next 50 years.

thats an expensive tank of gas. especially over 4-5-6 years...

Edited by John

it costs 30 bucks a year for regular plates... the historicals are 50 bucks one time and are valid for the next 50 years.

Ah, I didn't know the plate was for 50 years.

Are they $50 in Columbus?? They are $17.50 in Tuscarawas Co. I have them on 7 of my bikes and I've never been stopped while riding any of them.

you know, its been like 4 years since i got them, so that could be incorrect...

i just feel like i paid about 50 when i was at the DMV... although now that i actually think about it, i did get the title transferred too, so that was probably in there too...