So you think Ford stands for Found on Road Dead

DTM Brian

The shortblock has never been apart. The cam, crank, rods, pistons, bearings have been out of the block.

I would hope that grandam would still be together at 174k miles. Try adding 3 times the horsepower to the motor and see how long it lasts.

this is true.. i cant complain thou that many miles (and counting and i only paid $7K for it when it had 42K miles on it..ive gotten my moneys worth

I can't say anything about Ford. I drive a GM. Garbage Motors.

I owned a '99 GrandAm, and it was the biggest POS I've ever had. The list of repairs I did is too long to bother with on here. When the steering rack started to go, I ditched it. It had well under 100K miles.

mine is a 98 with the 3.1L..i heard that when they started putting the 3.4L in them in 99 they were junk

i got burnt on fords we had a 2000 explorer that we bougt brand new...under warenty the tranny was replaced 3 times and unconveniently enough 5000 miles after the warenty went out i had to put a engine in it, bought a brand new crate motor from ford cost me $4800 with install..then 60,000 miles later it was going again( in the bottom end)...i always change my oil and maintain my stuff so this really burnt my ass...we traded it in for our current 07 impala i wasnt going through that again thay gave me a whole $800 for it.

The shortblock has never been apart.

The cam, crank, rods, pistons, bearings have been out of the block.

WTF??

then it does NOT have 100,000+ miles on it

unless you missed the word NEVER between ( bearings have _____ been out)

I worked there in HS also. Dad grew up with the Ricart boys and I know them well. Good times when it was only the one building and all Ford.

When I was there it was the beginning of the plantation! Used lot kept getting bigger and bigger.

I do not think Mitsubishi had come in yet? It's been a while.

my older cars were the most reliable as well as easy to work on. The fords and toyotas have been the most reliable. I worked on th 77 transam the most and my celica the least.

Edited by snot

Ford an Jeep have let me down.

I had a '95 Taurus that fell apart from stupid stuff like the power window track broke a weld inside the door, the fan switch melted internally, the speedo failed 3x and lots of other stupid stuff that I could fix myself but would have been expensive to pay a shop to do. And the car was only 3 years old.

Then we had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokke that was 5 years old and had a window track that broke and the evaporator core started to leak. The window was quoted at $700 and the evaporator was quoted at $1700 (to remove the dash to get at it)

We also had a grand prix that puked a transmission at 125k but I fixed it myself and that car is still going strong. Also my '89 Park Avenue has a solid engine/trans even at 199k, although it's just had a new a/c compressor and little things like EGR and power steering hoses etc.

Had a '96 Maxima for 7 years that needed new calipers at the rear, and a bearing in the trans. Total cost of $40, rest was routine stuff.

My current car (once my ankle heals again) is an '05 Subaru. I bought it after my wife's '01 outback wound up being such a good car. Mine has needed a clutch and nothing else (had it for 4 years, 40k miles) My wife's outback has 160k on it (60k of those are hers) and has only ever needed a CV boot and a tensioner pulley.

For me, it's Subaru all the way with Nissan as a close second. These cars don't break, and I've tracked mine. If I was goign to buy Domestic I've had best luck with GM cars. But my Ford Bronco is solid too (but I'm doign a frame-up resto on that, so it's going to be all new running gear when it's done so can't compare)

Edited by Scruit

tauruses are pieces of shit.

no wonder it let you down lol.

i wouldnt buy a ford "family" or "economy" car made before 2008....their trucks are tanks, and the mustangs are too much fun to care if they break down lol

my mustang with the original motor in it (before i did the bbf swap) broke down and left me stranded more times than anything else ive owned, and ive owned some pieces of shit.....but it was still my favorite car to drive, so i didnt mind lol...and when i drove it, i drove the shit out of it...so i wasnt surprised when it did break

honestly though - i think my old mustang hated my gf....it never let me down until i started dating her, and then the car got jealous....one time the fuel pump went out and i towed it home and once she was gone, the car started right up and i drove it to hilliard and back all day, completely forgetting the fuel pump was bad.....another time she was with me when i was making a pass at national trails, she was sitting in the car with me (first pass of the day, so a passenger was ok - told them it ran 15s)...spider gears snapped and i had to tow it home....there was 3 times total it had to be towed, and she was with me on all 3 occasions (and she only rode in the thing like 15 times)

Edited by Steve Butters

honestly though - i think my old mustang hated my gf....it never let me down until i started dating her, and then the car got jealous....one time the fuel pump went out and i towed it home and once she was gone, the car started right up and i drove it to hilliard and back all day, completely forgetting the fuel pump was bad.....another time she was with me when i was making a pass at national trails, she was sitting in the car with me (first pass of the day, so a passenger was ok - told them it ran 15s)...spider gears snapped and i had to tow it home....there was 3 times total it had to be towed, and she was with me on all 3 occasions (and she only rode in the thing like 15 times)

Christine_ZL72139-719543.jpg