dent, dings, scratches, pissed.

buxnut

After an unfortunate encounter with a gas powered weed-eater falling from its hook where its hung for five F-ing years with no issue, I now have two small indentations and one dent, along with three scratches in my tank right in front of the seat.:mad: Has anyone tried the dry ice method or one of the paintless dent removal companies to remove small dents and dings from their gas tanks? I called a few and they were all kind of iffy and "had to get back to me after they talk to some of their techs". These dents are nothing major and I am sure I can get the scratches to buff out, just pissed about the whole situation.

Interesting fact. Did you know that a gas powered weed-eater can be thrown like a javelin out of a garage for about 50 feet with the right motivation?

The dent in the picture looks like it creased the metal, if it did, that's probably best to leave it alone, maybe fill over it with fiberglass and smooth it out.

The scratches look like they just need a decent buffing, and they'll disappear.

You could also try filling the tank with water and freezing it. I don't know all the details, but I know guys have used it for headers, and I've heard of guys doing it for gas tanks.

Heres a little trick for that dent in the pipe. Fill that area with water. Wrap a towel around the dented area only and sit the whole thing outside in freezing weather, or in the freezer if you have one big enough. Ensure the dent is right in the middle of the water slug. In the morning the dent will be gone. I did this on a relatively thick steel Jardine header for my '79 Yamaha and it worked like a charm!

Thanks for the tip, but I don't fully understand the process you described. When water freezes it expands about 10%. Don't i need to seal the ends of the pipe? When the water freezes on the ends it will plug them enough to hold hundreds or even thousands of pounds of pressure. What does wrapping the towel do? The ends should freeze first but the towel is wrapped around the dented area first to insulate it and ensure that part freezes last. Once the ends freeze the water in the middle will be compressed and pressure will rise enough to push the dent out. If the dent is small enough it should push out all the way on the first try. How much water do I fill the pipes? You have to fill the pipe so there is enough water to build pressure - I'd say at least a foot on each side of the dent. Too much and you *could* possibly split the pipe, so don't go all out the first try. Guys do this on 2 stroke expansion chambers all the time. via Superhawk Forum

I'm just worried about that larger dent being a crease, and possibly cracking or tearing when you try to pull it out.

just ride the damn thing.

dings and dents give it character.

+1

I've added a few scuffs and scratches to my bike already. Ofcourse trying to take a pig of a road bike down a muddy rutted hill will do that for you. :D

Craig