One of the biggest group

NinjaDoc

Hey mark, was that group ride part of OR or some charity run and stuff. We see them cruiser do it all the time, but never seen sporties

It was the Northcoast 99ers (Meetup.com) group ride... Mostly cruisers, but there are no attitudes in the group... a few sport bikes, but definitely the minority.

Our local stunters do that almost every Thursday night at 8:00PM, mostly sport bikes except sometimes Jinx and I have followed them on scooters. The whole group runs lights, some ride on the sidewalks and when they get on the highway they basically shut it down by blocking all the lanes and slowing it down to about 40MPH. A lot of ridiculous, stupid funny shit takes place including them running into each other. Once you have seen it in person it's not really all that cool of an event.

I have been in a couple 30 plus group rides with varying success and they can be fun but to make them successful they need to be well organized. That is very hard to work out, you will probably need at least six people to volunteer, work and organize such an event.

have been in a couple 30 plus group rides with varying success and they can be fun but to make them successful they need to be well organized. That is very hard to work out, you will probably need at least six people to volunteer, work and organize such an event.

This is true

Our local stunters do that almost every Thursday night at 8:00PM, mostly sport bikes except sometimes Jinx and I have followed them on scooters. The whole group runs lights, some ride on the sidewalks and when they get on the highway they basically shut it down by blocking all the lanes and slowing it down to about 40MPH. A lot of ridiculous, stupid funny shit takes place including them running into each other. Once you have seen it in person it's not really all that cool of an event.

I have been in a couple 30 plus group rides with varying success and they can be fun but to make them successful they need to be well organized. That is very hard to work out, you will probably need at least six people to volunteer, work and organize such an event.

i have been on that thursday thing with you once it was crazy out of control. I stayed way in the back would probrably go again though

Didn't you act as "funeral cop" on one last year? I went, think we had 30+. And only 2 accidents:)

Yes, that one was tame and the funeral cop approach was the only solution I could come up with to help Nick keep that many bikes together, others joined in once we got going as well but we weren't really organized. The group probably should have been broken into three groups but I didn't know a lot of people in that group nor do I think anyone but Nick knew the route. Besides the two accidents we had a separation of the group for a large amount of time as well but overall a fairly successful outing for the number of riders involved. I wouldn't get involved in another group that big without more people helping out.

We tried a group that large again in Coshocton that was broke up into three smaller groups and the first group was the only one that stayed organized. That system has potential but needs to be executed better if there is to be another attempt.

The leader and sweep rider need to know the route, the lead rider needs to wait at all stops for the entire group to arrive before moving on. Groups should only have about a dozen riders in them. The following groups should be doing the same route and the lead riders should be waiting for the all is well signal from the sweep rider before proceeding. The lead rider and the sweep rider from each group should be the most experienced of the group. This all sounds simple but it somehow becomes complicated when trying it. I am only speculating on its chance for success because I haven't witnessed a large group stay organized ever.

May be this is were the bike to bike communicator comes handy,

I guess the easiest way for us to realize this (if at all it happens) is just like what UP said, when we organize the ride itself, organize it under one route but three different sections, like for eg if we meet at uhrichville, there should be a neo, co, and seo groups with their own lead and sweep. Then things become much more easier I guess.

picture.php?albumid=583&pictureid=6013

I went on a big ride in coshocton in 09 I believe there was only 1 accident and I dont believe he is on the forum. It was a great ride and my first with ohio riders. There were alot of guys that helped out but I have not been on a ride that big since it was awesome though

I guess the easiest way for us to realize this (if at all it happens) is just like what UP said, when we organize the ride itself, organize it under one route but three different sections, like for eg if we meet at uhrichville, there should be a neo, co, and seo groups with their own lead and sweep. Then things become much more easier I guess.

Do not organize by regions, organize by skill level. Most people know where they belong and make it to that group. Those who don't belong where they pick can be moved by the sweep rider if they see behavior that isn't safe. This is why it is important to have an experienced sweep rider, someone who is willing to sacrifice their ride to keep things organized and safe.

I went on a big ride in coshocton in 09 I believe there was only 1 accident and I dont believe he is on the forum. It was a great ride and my first with ohio riders. There were alot of guys that helped out but I have not been on a ride that big since it was awesome though

That group was about 25 riders plus or minus two or three and worked out quite well for the most part. It was kind of semi organized plus the guys from Coshocton cooperate well together. There were other group rides about that size that worked out about the same, they were all good times. The success of those rides is what inspired the big group last year. That didn't turn out as well as possibly but at least half of the folks had a good time. We had several things go wrong that we didn't handle well including a guy who showed up with a bike that wasn't in good working order that started a whole snowball effect.

No, go by skill level and it also pays to have someone that knows the roads as the lead guy.

That was a fast awesome ride!

I'm a beginner and I know it... There's no way I want someone riding next to me, sharing my lane, or even a few feet in front or behind :p

I'd happily be in the beginner group, not hot dogging, just bringing up the rear and watching & enjoying... And I'd feel 10x better about it all knowing there was someone with a clue behind me, being the mama duck :)

I've done big car caravans when I helped to run my car club's national gathering a few times, and even with 50% of the cars having a walkie talkie, it's STILL impossible to keep large groups together. Might be easier with bikes, though... but EVERYONE has to be on the same page or it gets FUBAR'd.

Edited by Josh1234
Typos

I'm a beginner and I know it... There's no way I want someone riding next to me, sharing my lane, or even a few feet in front or behind :p

I'd happily be in the beginner group, not hot dogging, just bringing up the rear and watching & enjoying... And I'd feel 10x better about it all knowing there was someone with a clue behind me, being the mama duck :)

I've done big car caravans when I helped to run my car club's national gathering a few times, and even with 50% of the cars having a walkie talkie, it's STILL impossible to keep large groups together. Might be easier with bikes, though... but EVERYONE has to be on the same page or it gets FUBAR'd.

That how we would do it. You got to remember on our big group rides we are running back roads of bfe here in coshocton.

well, skill group wise it is then. I will be just in front of the sweeper of the beginner group :)

i have a feeling many people are really interested to see this happen, some who already has been on some thing like this before and some like me who never experienced such a group ride are both looking forward to make this happen again, (i hope) Why dont we just play around with such an idea and see how many sticks. And i am pretty sure if the riders are from OR regulars then its gonna be neat and easily manageable by the senior riders