98 hp? doesnt quite feel like it....

Gixxus Christ!

Hi ya'll, I just got my first true sport bike last week and I'm not sure if it has as much power as it should. The 96 fzr600r has between 91 and 98 bhp depending on what review you read and mine is in good shape, no valves clacking, clean carbs, not blowing smoke etc... But it just doesn't feel like a 100 HP bike. I've ridden my cousins 07 gsxr600 and that bike is redonkulous. My fizzer is fast but i was expecting it to pick up the front tire with a red line power shift from first to second. It definitely has power, does 75 mph in 2nd gear, but Idk, not as powerful as I think it should be...or maybe I should just let my inner child buy a liter bike next spring...thoughts?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to get a liter bike just get a newer 600. My has 100hp and that's plenty for me right now. Plent of getty up and go. If I'm correct mine weighs around 450 I think and feels light aluminum and alloy metals help the weight stay down. As far a gearing and speed mine does 70 in first almost redline ( don't recommend doing that often)

i was expecting it to pick up the front tire with a red line power shift from first to second

Get a v twin for that..lol

Mine has around 120ish HP and im a big dude...I have trouble keeping the front grounded..what's your bike tach out at? Newer bikes I believe go 16 to 17 K maybe that's the difference

the '96 FZR probably had 91-98hp at the crank, and when it was brand new.

Unless you've had yours on a dyno, anything you read on the internet is just going to be a rough estimate.

I had a '93 honda CBR 600 F2, and the previous owner showed me a dyno sheet that read 87 or 89hp.

I believe that bike also redlined at around 13,500 RPM. So my '03 has at least 15 more horsepower, an additional 2,000 RPM to play with, weighs considerably less, and is (usually) geared taller.

a 10 year difference in bike technology is definitely noticeable on the butt dyno.

oh, and for the record, I have never power-wheelied my 600RR. I've clutched it up during a race start, and I'm sure power wheelies are quite possible if you're trying to do them, but you're not just going to accidentally lift the front wheel on a 600 by banging a 1-2 shift w/o the clutch. Personally, i've never felt comfortable power shifting through neutral, so I clutch from 1st to 2nd. After that, I don't bother.

Edited by redkow97

My 93 F2 will shitngit but will not pickup the front unless I clutch it or bounce it..

But I kinda like it that way because I can give her all she's got and not worry about the front picking up when I don't want it too.... Although getting on it hard she will come up about an inch sometimes when shifting

the '96 FZR probably had 91-98hp at the crank, and when it was brand new.

This, the rear wheel power is probably high 80's. The only way my buddies 97 YZF600R would wheelie when shifting is rolling of then pin it to get a huge weight transfer.

Also, 40-50lbs is a huge deal and can be made woses pending where the extra weight is.

Will the bike wheelie, Yes

Will you look like the guy I saw last friday and yesterday trying like hell to do a standup down the highway and it either does nothing or maybe and inch off the ground, Yes

Chances are the bike is fine, you just have to run the piss out of it to get any power.

HP ≠ torque <this

also:

Crank HP ≠ Wheel HP

I can power wheelie my speed triple in first, but not in second, and it's a bike known for wheelies. There's no way you're going to do it on that bike. Then again, I'm big and fat... not the typical magazine-variety 150lb. rider.

I'm too much of a coward to clutch it up. I figure keeping the front wheel on the ground most of the time is probably a good thing for handling and my license.

I can power wheelie my speed triple in first, but not in second, and it's a bike known for wheelies. There's no way you're going to do it on that bike. Then again, I'm big and fat... not the typical magazine-variety 150lb. rider.

Get a street triple R, my buddy can't keep the front end down in the first 3 gears.

I'm not really looking to wheelie, just using that as an example. I'm also no magazine jockey, I tip the scales at 220. I think ill always need more power but my next purchase will be a Honda superhawk. Assloads of power and torque in a comfortable, slick looking bike? Don't mind if I do.

oh, and for the record, I have never power-wheelied my 600RR. I've clutched it up during a race start, and I'm sure power wheelies are quite possible if you're trying to do them, but you're not just going to accidentally lift the front wheel on a 600 by banging a 1-2 shift w/o the clutch. Personally, i've never felt comfortable power shifting through neutral, so I clutch from 1st to 2nd. After that, I don't bother.

Really? Mine would power wheelie with stock gearing and now Im +2 rear and it will come up even easier. Ive only ever wheelied on accident/power so not like I am an expert. Im too scared of dropping my bike.

Really? Mine would power wheelie with stock gearing and now Im +2 rear and it will come up even easier. Ive only ever wheelied on accident/power so not like I am an expert. Im too scared of dropping my bike.

I've only ever ridden it on the track, so smooth throttle application is the name of the game.

Plus 90% of the time I'm accelerating in a low gear, I'm also seriously leaned over exiting a turn.

I've spun the rear many times, but no power wheelies. Never tried to do one on purpose.

Then again, who knows - maybe my clutch has been shot for the last 2 years and I just dont' know any better :p

A liter bike would give me more opportunities to have brief yet meaningful conversations with the local constabulary....

No, need to follow the crowd by buying a litre. Ride for yourself and no one else. I thought about buying a litre for my first sport bike then got my 600rr and I love this bike. This bikes got plenty to offer and well its yellow so it gets noticed. Give your bike some time to grow on you and you'll be glad you kept it. I'm keeping mine till it can't run anymore and plan on buying a new one in a year or two a 1000rr for sure and still have my 600rr.

ive got 96 katana 750 and dont get me wrong, its fast and can keep up with most guy if i push it but like ur bike, its a lil heavier then the newer bikes also the gearing is different.. my katana is the same way, i struggle sumtime to pull the tire up shifting into 2nd...sometimes its from tire spin and other times is form the wieght/torque ratio....just same ur money and get a new 600...i rode many and they keep up with the 1000's with a few mods....not to mention way cheaper ins.