98 hp? doesnt quite feel like it....

Gixxus Christ!

I'm not looking to do 160 or anything, I just want to get to 90 or so a lot faster. I live for acceleration, not top speed. I want a bike that feels like its going to shoot out from under me when I pour the coal to her. I'm not a wheelie nut either, just love twisties and going from standstill to blurred vision as fast as possible. I'll try out A few newer 600's next spring, see if that's what I want.

Your still describing a v-twin..maybe look into a super hawk or a sv1k

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to get to 90 or so a lot faster. I live for acceleration, not top speed

maybe I'm a pussy but my 600 with +1/-2 (god damnit I can never remember if it was this or -2/+1. its whatever the common way is) sprocket change got to 90 as fast as I'd ever need :D

Edited by Bad324

maybe I'm a pussy but my 600 with +1/-2 (god damnit I can never remember if it was this or -2/+1. its whatever the common way is) sprocket change got to 90 as fast as I'd ever need :D

how about -1/+2 as I doubt you wanted more top end and really doubt you went down 2 in the front. :p

I am kind of against the "buy a busa and be done with it" mentality.

It's not that I have anything against hayabusas (or ZX14's for that matter), but I feel like you will get used to ANY amount of horsepower.

With that in mind, the differential between your daily driver and yoru bike is more important than anything else. Maybe even having 2 bikes.

Driving my ranger around made my EX500 feel fast as balls! Riding my EX500 during the week made my F2 feel like a rocket. Selling them both and buying my 600RR for track (only) use makes it feel pretty potent every time I ride it, simply because i'm not on it more than a couple times a month.

there's a balance somewhere in that range for everyone. I'd hate to have a turbo 'busa and be bored with it. I'd cry... What else would there be to look forward to?

i appreciate the OP's desire, and that's why i bought my Tuono. Handles nicely and wheelies like a supermoto if you want it to.

quote i read the other day on the aprilia forum... "(the Tuono) will make a slow guy fast. A fast bike will make a slow guy dead."

if you really want the bike to lift the front wheel and dont get into high speeds. Then change the front sprocket to make it lower. I went down a tooth in the front of the bird, and it wont keep the wheel down if you rev it hard in first.

my 125 vino is like 20X6 times moar funner than most street bikes. i just wish it would do more than 30 on any sort of uphill (it will do 60-ish indicated on a minor down hill). and wasn't so horribly ghey.

i still ride it like a dude that really loves another dude.

but yeah, get yourself a v twin if you like some crazy grunt. hell, if you just want low end grunt, get a big displacement motard.

I'm getting pretty happy with my 600 now that I have it tuned up. After my first surprise power wheelie I kinda am re thinking the whole liter bike thing....maybe a 750 next season.

There ya go, don't count 600's out too early. See I said to give her some time to grow on you and she will repay the favor. ;)

Everyone that is talking about 600's being better than liters clearly do not go on any long distance journeys. There is much less shifting to maintain the speeds and you get the low end power, there is no need to constantly down shift to get more power you just open the throttle.

Everyone that is talking about 600's being better than liters clearly do not go on any long distance journeys. There is much less shifting to maintain the speeds and you get the low end power, there is no need to constantly down shift to get more power you just open the throttle.

I don't think you're going to hear anyone argue that torque isn't highly desirable for any form of street riding, but liter sport bikes take outright power to excessive levels.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing; it's just not absolutely essential.

if you're into distance touring, a bigger engine will certainly cruise at highway speeds at lower RPM, and give you more torque without down-shifting ...but I like shifting. It keeps me involved, entertained, and ultimately I have more fun dropping 2 gears and pinning it than simply being lazy and rolling on in 6th.

It's like driving a Honda S2000; the first couple years before they bumped the displacement to 2.2 liters. The more you rev the piss out of that car, the more fun it is. Drive it like you hate it, and you'll love it. I view 600's in the same light. the more you work them, the more you love them.

But a lot depends on if we're talking sport bikes, or sport touring bikes. The FZ6 is the only real 600cc sport touring bike I can think of off-hand, and if you compare it to an R6, it's easy to see that Yamaha cammed the FZ6 for torque rather than top-end horsepower.

an CBR 1000 is no more comfortable to tour on than a CBR 600. The additional torque is a poor substitute for a true sport touring bike. The Ninja 1000 is probably one of the better options out there for a bike that can tour, but looks the part of a full on sport bike.

Who buys a sportbike for long distance rides? I hit twisty roads with mine and MAYBE hit a few different gears. I haven't really found a need for 170hp on the street and there are very few people (uncle punk excluded) that ride through twisty roads on a 1000 that can keep up with a 600. They just rely on the straights to catch back up what they loose in the corners. I just can't see spending the extra money on the bike and insurance to warrent having a bigger bike.