98 hp? doesnt quite feel like it....

Gixxus Christ!

My C14 will wheelie easily for a big long heavy pig, of course the HP/torque is a big factor.:D I would LOVE to have a Triumph 675 in the garage too, that might just be the perfect sub 1000cc sportbike.

Fixed it for ya.. :D and yes i could very well see that being my next bike as i'm quite partial to triumph anyway..

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand where people are riding that a 600 "can't keep up" with liter bikes.

Sure, a liter bike will get to highway speeds a half a second quicker (maybe) than a 600, but the cost to benefit ratio seems small to me.

Maybe I just never went on any super awesome illegal street rides.

2fast, do you know what "the local constabulary" is? I'm thinking you may have missed my point.

Local police if I'm not mistaken. What point were you trying to get across then in your previous post? I'm only making an assumption of your post on how a 600 has little power and you feel need to get a litre ( to each their own). I'm just giving you some foresight on how 600's have improved over the years. I'm mean my first bike was a '94 Katana had only 85hp and when I upgraded to the Cbr600. I noticed a considerable differancen in acceleration and weight. Not sayin I'm the greatest ( which I'm not btw) only been riding for a year and the people of OR have helped with that as well. Just my two cents not trying to dog anyone on here.

I still don't understand where people are riding that a 600 "can't keep up" with liter bikes.

Sure, a liter bike will get to highway speeds a half a second quicker (maybe) than a 600, but the cost to benefit ratio seems small to me.

To be honest, I think the liter bikes are better for people that DON'T want to ride hard. They have the bottom end torque to cruise around in the low midrange all the time.

It's not like many people can actually use the extra grunt of a liter bike on the street at WOT. The 600's are already making well over 100hp these days. The lighter handling will probably allow most people to go faster on a 600.

the '96 FZR probably had 91-98hp at the crank, and when it was brand new.

Unless you've had yours on a dyno, anything you read on the internet is just going to be a rough estimate.

I had a '93 honda CBR 600 F2, and the previous owner showed me a dyno sheet that read 87 or 89hp.

I believe that bike also redlined at around 13,500 RPM. So my '03 has at least 15 more horsepower, an additional 2,000 RPM to play with, weighs considerably less, and is (usually) geared taller.

a 10 year difference in bike technology is definitely noticeable on the butt dyno.

oh, and for the record, I have never power-wheelied my 600RR. I've clutched it up during a race start, and I'm sure power wheelies are quite possible if you're trying to do them, but you're not just going to accidentally lift the front wheel on a 600 by banging a 1-2 shift w/o the clutch. Personally, i've never felt comfortable power shifting through neutral, so I clutch from 1st to 2nd. After that, I don't bother.

well my R6 will bang the front wheel off the ground all the time without the clutch.

you should consider a yamaha. :D

and sorry skullcrusher, no 96 fzr 600 has 98 hp at the rear wheel. you'd be lucky to see 85 I bet.

I bet a FZ6 would smoke it even.

at putnam it takes my buddy 1/2 of the straight to pass me on his 1000.

by time we get to the bottom of the hill. he's finally able to out run me.

1000's are basically a big guys 600 - it takes more power to move more mass.......look what I ride ;) yeeeeaaaah, I'm fat......but it keeps me up with jockeys on liters :D

Big bore bikes are more versatile for us "gravitationally challenged" fella's - and big sportbikes can handle too with proper setup.

Well I'm a big guy and my woman isn't skinny. The two of us on that 600 just kills it, the suspension isn't needy enough. I need to finish my 73 cb750 build, that bike had enough suspension and power before I decided to put another 20 HP into the motor. I know the newer 600's are much faster, I just don't know if I could afford one next spring. I don't finance large purchases, I pay cash. Idk, maybe ill keep the gixxer, maybe ill sell everything I have and get one of those big-bore sport touring bikes...Suzuki makes a nice one, the svt1300 I think? 164 HP and comfy...

Well I'm a big guy and my woman isn't skinny. The two of us on that 600 just kills it, the suspension isn't needy enough. I need to finish my 73 cb750 build, that bike had enough suspension and power before I decided to put another 20 HP into the motor. I know the newer 600's are much faster, I just don't know if I could afford one next spring. I don't finance large purchases, I pay cash. Idk, maybe ill keep the gixxer, maybe ill sell everything I have and get one of those big-bore sport touring bikes...Suzuki makes a nice one, the svt1300 I think? 164 HP and comfy...

Don't know what your gal weighs but have you ever looked up the pasenger capacity of your 600...I know me an my wife would over weigh my bike almost 125lbs so I wont even try, thats why she has her own ride...it should be listed on your swing arm where the tire info is, or in your owners man.

Edited by 2talltim

They only think that they cannot keep up. What it really means is that the guy on the 600 has less ability and wants to compensate with a liter bike.

The fact is that a liter bike is MUCH harder to ride faster than a 600. In fact, you can see it first hand at any local club race. 600s in reality are better per CC than the liter bikes.

But, guys think that more power is better than anything and that the more powerful a bike, the better it will be.

Now, at 220 lbs, I would say that a 600 is going to be a tough steed to ride and feel good on. My suggestion if you do look for another bike, look at a 750, but a sport tourer might be a good machine for you also...

The problem is that if a guy uses his head, a 1000 can be a great street bike for the fact that it has more torque and can be used at lower RPMs when needed which is a lot of the time on the street. Not to mention two up, etc...

There are benefits and reasons to ride liter bikes on the street. But, most the time when having these discussions, I always find out it is because they think their 600s are fast enough...:rolleyes:

Well I feel sorry for ya man. Buells are expensive and it sounds like yours is a little anemic for your size, but to each his own. My point is I want some acceleration that I can really feel. I want something scary. I also want it to be controllable tho. No point in having all that power if you can't put it to use.

I had a SuperHawk that I Colin Chapman'd (added lightness). Carbon fiber this and that, aluminum nonsense. Me and the bike together with a tank of fuel weighed about 600 pounds and it would shit and get. Here's what I can tell you about it. At 135, the front end gets squirrelly. Not sure, but to me it felt like the 3/4 fairing's dynamics were causing the front end to try to lift. But from 0 to 80, it was a monster. Here's my deal - I no longer have any interest at all in going 135. Or 105. Or really even 85. And 75 will be saved for passing. So I'm building my 750 cafe based on an early 80s bike with about 50 hp. Fast enough to get me on the road, but slow enough to keep me out of most trouble. What are you looking for?

If you want a bike to enjoy on the streets and with your friends, get a 600. Maybe a 750. And here's Mr. Practical - if your girl riding on the post is a concern, don't get a sportbike. Get a Goldwing or a Road King or some other bike that's really designed to have multiple riders, not just with a credit card sized slap of padding and a couple of pegs thrown on.

If you want a track bike, get a 600. Maybe a 750. I don't want to judge the riding abilities of other members, but I can say I doubt there are many of us who can truely ride a 1000 to it's ability. Not saying we suck as riders, but let's be honest. If we were track riders, we'd be touring with Honda and Yamaha and not posting to OhioRiders at 10 on a Saturday night (man, I'm a loser).

But above all, get what you want. Don't get a SuperHawk because you want the power or speed. Get it because you think it's a sweet bike. I did, but it almost cost me my life. Close calls like that change your priorities and your tastes quite a bit. Right now, my plans for my bike will be to make it one that will draw a crowd at QSL on Wednesdays, and then let that crowd pass me on the way home since I'm doing 45 down Sunbury Road instead of 120 down 71.

Rant over, just my 2 cents. Had a little bit of everything, so I have a few opinions :-)

Is this why you have a 1000 :D

My secret is blown!! Honestly, it is so damn hard to ride the 1000 fast that I have offered guys to try it and see. It rides YOU more than you ride it... It literally wants to kill you as often as it can get a chance. It's like wrestling a bear at times.

I jump on people's 600s and wonder why the hell I ever went to liter bikes. Then I wheelie out of turn 1, keyhole, at the kink, entry to Thunder and out onto the front straight at Mid-Ohio and get reminded. But, it tries and kills me in the same spots!!:D

Wouldn't change a thing. Rode 600s for 10 years and went to the 750 and 1000 after and with my fat ass, they work great.

I'm not looking to do 160 or anything, I just want to get to 90 or so a lot faster. I live for acceleration, not top speed. I want a bike that feels like its going to shoot out from under me when I pour the coal to her. I'm not a wheelie nut either, just love twisties and going from standstill to blurred vision as fast as possible. I'll try out A few newer 600's next spring, see if that's what I want.