help with rover..i mean rocky

2talltim

i know there are a lot of dog lovers on here so i thought id give this question a go. A year and a half ago we picked up our 3rd pomeranian rocky, ever since he was a pup he was a little skidish but has warmed up to everyone but me. I dont understand, the kids torture him, my wife punishes him when bad and puts him in his crate at night(witch he hates), and all i do is be nice, give treats, and i let him out of the crate every morning. Yet if i try to pet him or pick him up he runs away or just hugs the floor and pisses himself in fear. What can i do to change this? The other 2 dogs like me and always want attention from me. Ay ideas?

He is not quite 2 yrs old and has been de-nutted

One more thing, every now and then if im sitting in my recliner he will come up and put his front paws on the arm of the chair. This is the only time he will let me pick him up and pet him, but when he's done with that he wigs out and runs away infear??????????????

Dogs are pack animals and are always looking to assert themselves as leader or are always looking to be led. There can be many people in your dogs life but only 1 master.

Aside from treats make sure YOU are the person to feed him and make sure YOU take him for a short walk daily.

Walking is a tried and true way, in a dogs eyes, to form a bond and dogs naturally assosiate food as reward. Try these things for a week or 2 and ill be he warms up to you.

Dogs are pack animals and are always looking to assert themselves as leader or are always looking to be led. There can be many people in your dogs life but only 1 master.

Aside from treats make sure YOU are the person to feed him and make sure YOU take him for a short walk daily.

Walking is a tried and true way, in a dogs eyes, to form a bond and dogs naturally assosiate food as reward. Try these things for a week or 2 and ill be he warms up to you.

you have to stop using that psycho babble from Cesar Milan

he's a self taught nut. none of what he teaches is used by real dog trainers since the early 60's.

there is a reason he's on history channel and not animal planet.

my pit bull knows her place in the family and we didn't have to train her. she just acts like you would want a dog to act. we talk to her, everyone feeds her, everyone walks her, everyone repremands her. And I guess it helps we treat her with dignity and don't put her in a cage. (not joking). that's a terrible thing to have to do to a pet. unless they are there to keep them safe, that's cruelty.

try locking yourself in a cage all day long and see if you like it. that's one major no no to do with a pitbull they say. it will make them mean. so does not taking them for vigorous exercise every day.

so my "NON" professional advise would be to do more with the dog.

even if it's just talking to it.

Edited by serpentracer

we are doing nothing different with him that we didnt do with the other 2 dogs, crated them at night for at least the first year or two after that we just leave the doors open and they go lay down in there crate on their own. only thing i can think of is im never home and if i am im in bed. i work 60-74hrs a week and follow the kids sports when i get home time im in bed so he see me maybe 2 hrs a day tops, and the wife and kids are home a lot, she works 3 days a week and the kids are always home minus school.

here is what he looks like when i walk up to him..like he thinks he in trouble or something

rock.jpg?t=1313252997

and her are the other 2 they are like "what up"..lol

dogs.jpg

SerpentRacer,

Actually I was afraid someone was gonna say that. Wether you believe me or not I don't watch that show. I've had dogs all my life and I find that the one who walks them and feeds them is usually the one they respect the most. We have had poms and have a pekingnese right now, he is sooooooo stubburn. Its my wifes dog but he's become my little buddy because I take care of him. Walks are important.

I respect your opinion more than most here but I humbly believe your wrong here good sir and its important to become his leader.

Pits are smart and if treaded correctly can be among the best dogs. Small dogs usually have a stubborn way and mabe its a size complex but they really do respond to LOVING dicipline

Tim, all I ask is prove me wrong, what will it hurt? A short walk everyday will be good for ya and feeding him takes what,, 5 minutes? In a week or 2 you can atleast say you tried that

Edited by Jamez

Those are punting dogs. You just need to punt him more.

the dark one is the oldest he is 13yrs old...when he was a pup i wanted to drop kick him off the porch many times ...he was stubern little fucker to house break

SerpentRacer,

Actually I was afraid someone was gonna say that. Wether you believe me or not I don't watch that show. I've had dogs all my life and I find that the one who walks them and feeds them is usually the one they respect the most. We have had poms and have a pekingnese right now, he is sooooooo stubburn. Its my wifes dog but he's become my little buddy because I take care of him. Walks are important.

I respect your opinion more than most here but I humbly believe your wrong here good sir and its important to become his leader.

Pits are smart and if treaded correctly can be among the best dogs. Small dogs usually have a stubborn way and mabe its a size complex but they really do respond to LOVING dicipline

real dog trainers say it's more of a friendship you build with the dog, not it's fear of you being it's "leader".

Cesar milan is teaching people bad things that are considered very outdated in the dog training community.

Tim,

My cuz (and neighbor) breeds Poms and it is not unusual for them to be like that with taller and or bigger people.. Try spending more time at "his" level.. Sit or lay down on the floor and let him come to you.... Persuade him with treats if need be..

SerpentRacer,

Tim, all I ask is prove me wrong, what will it hurt? A short walk everyday will be good for ya and feeding him takes what,, 5 minutes? In a week or 2 you can atleast say you tried that

i try letting him out more when im home, we usually dont walk the dogs to do their buisness we go out on deck and let him run on a 20ft retracable lesh(the other 2 have free run of the yard)(we have 3 acres)could try taking him for short walks around the fence line(we counrty folks..LOL)

you have to stop using that psycho babble from Cesar Milan

he's a self taught nut. none of what he teaches is used by real dog trainers since the early 60's.

there is a reason he's on history channel and not animal planet.

my pit bull knows her place in the family and we didn't have to train her. she just acts like you would want a dog to act. we talk to her, everyone feeds her, everyone walks her, everyone repremands her. And I guess it helps we treat her with dignity and don't put her in a cage. (not joking). that's a terrible thing to have to do to a pet. unless they are there to keep them safe, that's cruelty.

try locking yourself in a cage all day long and see if you like it. that's one major no no to do with a pitbull they say. it will make them mean. so does not taking them for vigorous exercise every day.

so my "NON" professional advise would be to do more with the dog.

even if it's just talking to it.

Just to be a dick... Cesar Millan is on National Geographic Channel :D

Its funny a lot of people believe that poms are high strung little yappy dogs, but they are far from it, these dogs are cool as hell and each one has their own personality like you or I. Only time they bark is when there is a knock at the door and i accually like that becuase i never hear it. They are super protective of the kids, and love attention(well from most people)

Tell the dog it looks chubby in its fur, then yell at it for not keeping the house clean enough and tell it the dinner it made for you tastes horrible. Let your dog catch you looking at other dogs and hear how you fantasize about those other dogs.

Lastly, make sure the dog loves you more than you love it.

Once you thoroughly given your dog a selfesteem problem, you become the alpha.

No more muss, fuss, and plenty of sandwiches.