Ruger 10/22 jam problems

TheBrown57

I have a 10/22 that my grandpa gave me and I recently got it out for some target practice. Here's the problem it shoots fine but it seems to keep jamming when its trying to put a round in the chamber. I usually have to tilt the gun and pull the bolt back and let it go a few times and it will eject the round and attempt to load another but it sometime will jam 3 or more times in a row. Ive tried 2 different types of ammo (Remington and Federal) they both jam. I have noticed that the jam more often with my Promag 32 round clip vs the stock 10 round clip. I checked the serial number and it was produced in 1977, a friend told me that the newer 10/22's (or at some point) made the back of the barrel with a grove so that the round can slide in easier but mine is flat.

Any ideas?

thanks

Also it was thoroughly cleaned after a few rounds and I realized it was extremely dirty but still jams

The 22 my buddy has is VERY tempermental towards what ammo he uses. He typically has to use better ammo or it jams often.

Not sure as most guys probably have better education on this, but my real world experience is that a buddy had the same issue with his 22 and it seemed to be ammo related...

i had a similar problem right up til i picked up some new magazines. im chalking it up to weak springs. no problems since.

this was my first thought as well. a newer 10 round Ruger mag would be my first try at a fix. They run like $15-$19, so not a big deal.

the larger magazines are notorious for failing to chamber, etc. I was searching for youtube reviews of several brands, and some guys literally bought the banana mags, and then shot AT them the same day because they were such junk.

My 10/22 has been fine with Federal and Remington ammo. Going to try the $15 Blazer rounds next, to see just how much of a cheap-ass I can be.

using the factory mags, I've never had one fail to chamber, and only a handful of failures to eject. I chalk that up to the cheap ammo.

your factory magazine is fully serviceable btw, so a $.90 spring and a good cleaning might be all you really need to buy.

they make couplers for the factory magazines as well. It's not a 30 round mag, but three 10-round mags that actually work are better than one 30-round that doesn't...

This is rare. I'm gonna say tear the while thing apart and clean everything. Being that old it prob deserves it. I have a few thousand rounds thru mine and its still running and cycling smoothly.

this^^ i would take completely apart and clean very well and see if it makes a differance. .22's are very dirty and create a lot of "gunk". that is my technical term!! ;)

• Upvote 1

ProMag

i found the problem

i dont know anybody that has a ProMag in anything that actually works....online reviews are shit, forum reviews are shit, etc....the ProMag springs are too weak and cause all kinds of havoc

use clean factory mags and i bet you will be good to go

Edited by Steve Butters

I had one for years and shot it all the time, then one day started having problems. Turned out the extractor had warn out, I bought a hardened extractor & it shot like new. If switching/cleaning mags does not solve your problems this might be the cause, you will know by looking if it needs replaced. Midway has them, only $12:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=363360&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Gun%20Parts%20-%20Rifle%20-%20%28Aftermarket%29-_-PriceCompListing-_-363360

Thanks for all the advise I need to check out the links when Im not at work, Damn web filtering, Ill be shooting it this weekend and try and get some pic's of it if it jams. I figured it was due to the aftermarket mag but its done it a few times with the OEM but I think I need to tear it down and clean it, bought a new OEM mag yesterday at wally world $14.

Thanks again!