Making Chili

Casper

only saute the meat. then let it cook with the chili. it will taste a 100% better. and who the f puts corn and green beens in chili? that doesn't sound good at all and I come from a chili making family. my grandma made a pot of chili every single day just about.

and who the F uses canned stuff other than beens?

ah son you're doing it all wrong..

Edited by serpentracer

only saute the meat. then let it cook with the chili. it will taste a 100% better.

From a food safety standpoint, the ground beef should be fully cooked before adding it. Especially if you're only simmering the chili.

Now, if you're putting cubes of steak in there, you don't have to cook them all the way through.

Looks about right...minus the green beans. That's a funny ass write up.

I like to use about 3/4 of a jug (64oz...I think) Spicy Hot V8 as the base of my chili followed by 1 can Bush's chili beans, 1 can Red Beans, 1 can black beans, 1 can diced tomatoes, i can tomato sauce, 1/2 can corn, 1/2 Onion, 1 or 2 diced Jalapeno's, 1 pack McCormicks Chili seasoning, 2 lbs lean ground beef, some Garlic Powder & Pepper. I usually cook the ground beef with the peppers and onions which IMO gives it all a better flavor.

Edited by drew95gt

From a food safety standpoint, the ground beef should be fully cooked before adding it. Especially if you're only simmering the chili.

Now, if you're putting cubes of steak in there, you don't have to cook them all the way through.

the meat will boil. just like you would chicken etc. it's still being cooked.

remember, chili isn't made in 10 min. you need to let it simmer for at least an hour to bring out all the spices oils etc.

by browning it all the way first it will taste like hamburger instead of the chili.

O.K. I'll bite... why does the ground beef have to be completely cooked and steak can be raw when it's the same meat?

then it's not chili anymore. you made a stew.
Stew has potatoes... chili has corn...:D

agreed.

while i dont know many who use corn in chili, i would not say that adding corn makes it a "stew"

it just isnt the way YOU make chili

a lot of people dont even use beans, and a lot of chili contests say no beans allowed....doesnt mean people who use them dont make "real" chili, they just make their chili differently than you do

ive never seen stew made with no potatoes and with ground beef instead of cubes of beef

ftr - ive never seen green beans in chili

Edited by Steve Butters

agreed.

while i dont know many who use corn in chili, i would not say that adding corn makes it a "stew"

it just isnt the way YOU make chili

a lot of people dont even use beans, and a lot of chili contests say no beans allowed....doesnt mean people who use them dont make "real" chili, they just make their chili differently than you do

ive never seen stew made with no potatoes and with ground beef instead of cubes of beef

ftr - ive never seen green beans in chili

alright then it's vegetable soup with ground beef.:D

Hell I like chili with or without beans, but either way it needs to be meaty. I've had corn in my chili I swear Arizona puts corn in everything. Some places serve chili over pasta. My moms family put macaroni in chili. I can't see putting green means in chili. I love making chili I cook mine in the slow cooker all day, but its still better the next day reheated. I don't know how some people like my mother in law can call their chili chili when you make it in 30 mins or less. I think I'm going to experiment more with hotter chili this fall.

O.K. I'll bite... why does the ground beef have to be completely cooked and steak can be raw when it's the same meat?

Beef is actually very hard for bacteria to penetrate, so with a piece of meat like steak, you can cook the outside and kill all the bad stuff while still having a raw or little-cooked center.

With ground beef, all that surface bacteria gets ground up and ends up evenly dispersed throughout. this is why burgers that are red in the center aren't recommended.