trade in or private sale

natedogg624

well kids here's the sitch:

many of you know i'm getting a new truck. I was actually 12 hours from signing papers on a truck when the inspection i negotiated into the deal revealed major issues with the cam journals and cam phaser sensor that would be expensive down the road.

anyways, i have a 98 s10 reg cab 2wd approaching 140k. pretty nice condition given the mileage. dealer trade in would be 1500 at all the dealers i spoke to and obviously i could get better money out of a private sale. i never questioned that until now.

my s10 got broken into last night. more of a nuisance than angry. they tore the head unit out along with stress cracking my dash panel (the whole front dash pulls off to work on the stereo). rather than actually take the stereo the left it and took my coin change instead. at first glance everything was there and looked to be an easy repair. however, inspecting it tonight there are wires pulled out of harness pin slots as well as multiple wires cut/stripped with no wire left to work with - your basic stereo theft...

should i still proceed with a private sale without fixing the radio? pony up some bills to install a new radio? trade in as is...?

is this something to even bother my insurance about or will this raise concern about the area i live in and raise my rates?

meeting with the officer in an hour.

Private sale, how bad is the dash jacked? I could be interested...

Yes if you turn this little mishap in it will raise your rates. It is a attempted theft/with damage.

Just my 2cents

i'll take a picture in the morning, ps i'm not in ohio anymore. holland michigan.

So what is the skinny? If you were that close to a sale, where are you now? If found that cam journals are bad I would have to walk away. That is a world of hurt and a new set of heads down the road?

the cam journals and sensor on the f150 i was about to buy are no good so the salesman i've been dealing with (friend of a friend) wouldn't allow the sale to continue knowing what he knew about the engine.

he's gonna keep looking for me, already looking at getting an 08 over for me to look at from a sister dealer.

Who the F steals car stereos these days??

I've had *two* passenger windows shattered in my cage. One time I guess the master thief got scared away. Nothing was missing, and there was a honkin' rock down on the floor. The other time someone snatched my low-end, four-year old, bottom-of-the-barrel GPS. I wasn't always good about putting the thing away. Like $90 brand new at Best Buy. @#$#$%%^& Cleveland. Leave a fiver on the dash and you might get your windshield shattered....

do you already have a buyer?

no. i still need the truck until i actually commit to buying a new one. since i have no real leads anymore i still need the truck.

cam phasers, you buying a 2004-2007 ford f-150 5.4L :lol:

also idk what your quote was i get them done for like $700-800

yup. the cam phasers were long gone and had done work on the camshaft journals and cat converter. was ok for today, but in a year it would've been major major expense. i dont remember exactly what was wrong, but needless to say they didn't want to sell me a truck with a time bomb for an engine.

I'll give ya 1500 for it.

we'll cross that bridge when we get there. might get some restitution from the thief to fix my stereo but i'm not holding my breath.