Home security peeps? Suggestions, ideas...

Moto-Brian

What about Alarm Force? I like the wireless idea as we are considering going full cell phone only...

You listen to Fox news dont you?:)

All panel manufactures and monitoring companies do cell backup. Highly recommended even if u DO have a landline

Alarm Force is a joke in the industry. You can have live 2 way on any system, but its a waste in my opinion.

An outdoor siren gets neighbors attention and therefore, much better results.

Get this - they don't have installers so, they'd send me the stuff to install and it should only take an hour! HUH???

I don't think they are very good to have a system that installs in an hour! If it is that easy, I'll just use a car alarm system and install it in the house!

There's a local company here that seems to be well thought of and are cheap.

Get this - they don't have installers so, they'd send me the stuff to install and it should only take an hour! HUH???

I don't think they are very good to have a system that installs in an hour! If it is that easy, I'll just use a car alarm system and install it in the house!

There's a local company here that seems to be well thought of and are cheap.

Wow. Nice. Probably a Simon. POS. You want to hardwire as much of the system as you can. Wireless is only for placed you cant get a wire to and good wireless is expensive.

• 1 year later...
Only go with ADT if you want a system that you can only use with ADT and if you want to be locked into a minimum 2 year contract. Their customer service is among the worst.

I've had my ADT system since 2008 for over 4yrs now. Well I had cable phone and internet through WOW, since around 2001. Recently mid 2012 we switched to Insight, because of there room to room dvr and larger storage space on dvr. Well there internet speeds were terrible, like a dozen trips to the house later. They tell us there 15meg wont play a 720p video w/out buffering. So we cancel and switch back to WOW. When wow comes back out they notice the alarm wasn't hooked up right. Only 2 wires into main control panel. And from what I've been told you need 2 in and 2 out to achieve what is called line seizure. So for over 4 years my alarm was not working right. If someone broke in and took phone off the hook, adt would never get a signal! So they come out today and act like they cant run the line, when I told him to leave then, were just going with Alarm Force. He wants another look at basement and decides he can run the line. Beetches!!! I will probably still cancel I like the door bell camera Alarm Force has!

If you're in the sticks and response time is poor, you somehow want to be able to identify the perp with video or a strategically placed trail cam is cheap. Shawn's good people if you go that route.

Edited by Gump

Chillicothe Fire and Security already had installed a system in our house when we bought it. So we kept the subscription and it seems to work great although we've never had a break in. Response time tho is slow around here. Neighbor has had his alarm go off randomly a few times and it takes about 20 minutes for the sheriff's to get here. But the alarm horn is loud as neck so sneaking in wouldn't work very well....and doing it at night, we'll they'd have a couple surprises in store for them....hehehe

Shawn's good people if you go that route.

I replied to a PM from him, not sure if it sent cause nothing shows in my sent box? So if you didn't get reply Shawn let me know, and I will try it again lol... I guess my forum skills are just as lacking as this ADT tech they sent to my home. The line siezure stuff has him ruined.

I replied to a PM from him, not sure if it sent cause nothing shows in my sent box? So if you didn't get reply Shawn let me know, and I will try it again lol... I guess my forum skills are just as lacking as this ADT tech they sent to my home. The line siezure stuff has him ruined.

Line seizure is simple. It's a 4 conductor. 2 in and 2 out. The panel just has to be first in line.

Line seizure is simple. It's a 4 conductor. 2 in and 2 out. The panel just has to be first in line.

Simple for you and me, but you'd be surprised how many alarm and phone

techs just can't seem to grasp the concept :nono:

My original installer just ran 2 phone wires to the panel. The Wow tech knew to check it while here, and he said he could fix it but my panel required a jack that they didn't have. He said it look's like a rj-11 but it's not and just one they didn't have. And to just call ADT, to have them fix it. If we wouldn't of switched back and forth with the cable company I would of never knew it was hooked up wrong. When I periodically called in to have system checked, they would always ask me to call on another line, cause they said it would disconnect the call. I guess we never knew or thought twice about checking that theory out!

My original installer just ran 2 phone wires to the panel. The Wow tech knew to check it while here, and he said he could fix it but my panel required a jack that they didn't have. He said it look's like a rj-11 but it's not and just one they didn't have. And to just call ADT, to have them fix it. If we wouldn't of switched back and forth with the cable company I would of never knew it was hooked up wrong. When I periodically called in to have system checked, they would always ask me to call on another line, cause they said it would disconnect the call. I guess we never knew or thought twice about checking that theory out!

The jack is a RJ31X but it's not actually "required" to work. The alarm panel has two IN terminals and two OUT terminals

for the phone line connections, sometimes called LINE and HOUSE with line being the in and house being the out.

The RJ31X jack just serves as a quick disconnect so that you can quickly and easily disconnect the alarm panel

from the phone lines in case for some reason it decided to lock up and seize the phone line and tie it up.

But, like I said, not required to work correctly.