Freaking out!

Sapphy

So I have heard of it happening, but I never expected it to happen. Today I had a driver deliberately try to run me off the road/ hit me. IT happened on my drive to work today. I was coming down 23 on the north side of c-bus. between the last light and 270 I changed lanes to get into the right lane to get on 270, and continue onto 315. When I turned on my turn signal there where 3 car lengths opening and traffic was going about 30mph. I proceed to change lanes and the large dump truck behind me lays on the horn and runs up on my ass. As we round the corner onto the ramp he runs into the berm on my left and starts to pass me on the berm, then he comes over and tries to hit me or run me off the road. I grabbed the brake, let him get buy, he sees this and also hits his breaks. As we get onto 270 he changes lanes, and I stay in the lane I am in. Every time I get close to passing him he dodges part way into my lane so I back off. Once we round the turn onto 315 I was able to put a car between us and was able to pass and get the hell out of there, or I though. He keep coming and because of traffic I could not get away. By the time we get to the hospital curve, I decide that instead of trying to out run this idiot, I would just slow down. Well he keeps slowing down, so I keep slowing down and get off at the next exit. I really think this guy was trying to kill me. what they hell is wrong with people. I now am arguing with myself if riding is even worth it anymore. I Know it has risk, but damn.

Any chance you got a plate, or a company name on the truck?

Glad you came out of this unscathed!

the plate on the back was dirty and almost hidden up under the dump part. SomthingHJ 8995 I think, it was a primer white Freightliner with a black dump bucket. I did not see any signage on the truck at all

Well first off I'm glad this story has an alive ending. Don't quit riding, quit riding on the hell hole streets of downtown cbus. The more time I spend on the roads there in my truck, the more I agree with Pauly and his cbus stance

Once in a while you get complete idiots on that part of 23 in the morning. I have had that commute route for over 10 years now and even in my truck it sometimes gets scary and I see a lot of the stuff you described, although usually once you get to 315 they let it go. When I ride the motorcycle to work in Hilliard, I have been cutting across Powell or Home road to take either 315 or Riverside drive south. The traffic is usually lighter and thus far, I have not run into the wierd road rage I sometimes see on 23. Glad you are OK. He probably thought he was wronged by you in some way and then knowing he was in a dump truck decided to have a little red neck fun scaring you. Stupid, stupid, stupid. That kind of attitude will get someone killed and that guy needs to be off the road from driving commercial vehicles.

Sorry to hear that man. Glad you're okay though. I had this happen a couple weeks ago. Some idiot on 270 in a truck was doing 65 so I get in the left lane, pass him, get in front of him doing 70-72 (which, I allowed myself plenty of room to get in front of him) and he speeds up. I start to get all the way over to the right to get in the exit lane for Gahanna and he follows me. I speed up to 75 and he literally gets so close to my ass that I bet if I reached one of my legs out behind me, I could have kicked his bumper. I take a left at the light and he takes a right and flicks me off as he's turning. Some people are so effing stupid around here.

Glad I don't drive that often in Cbus anymore. Sounds like he was being a total ass, can't say I would have blamed you to have just pulled off the side of 315 and wait till he left. Diffusing a situation like that is not easy and even harder to get away from on a busy road or highway. Glad you recognized the threat and took steps to avoid it.

That's unfortunate that you had to deal with an ignorant jerk like that. I encourage you not to quit riding because of drivers like that. From what you did to escape the problem, it sounds like it was the best solution for that moment. The roads really do get better and more motorcycle-friendly when you leave Columbus, or Ohio for that matter.

There is a very obvious hostility toward motorcycles here in Ohio that I have never seen anywhere else in United States. Coming from a state that actually acknowledges the existence of motorcycles on the road, I've learned to change my riding style when dealing with morning traffic and really creating a space bubble around me and assuming that everyone on the road on four wheels is an asshole. I've been honked and yelled at when I would ride on a fully open lane that has signs that it will close in two miles for those entire two miles until cones reduce it to half a lane where the motorcycle still fits. I still don't understand the reasoning behind all the anger, except for the fact that I understand the concept of proper merging.

I am still trying to get over the hit-and-run taxi driver that destroyed my husband's BMW motorcycle last October. It is amazing what people choose to do when faced with injuring a human being and trying to keep their job. :nono:

The roads really do get better and more motorcycle-friendly when you leave Columbus, or Ohio for that matter.

yep...columbus is just horrible...first time riding down in southern ohio i was amazed that drivers seemd to acknowledge bikers...hell, they even scooted to the right when we were passing just to give us a little more room....columbus sucks...i imagine a lot of cities are like that though...people got too much on their minds and are too impatient, etc... once you get out of the cities its so much better

pics of the dead bear, or gtfo

i love you. no homo.

Thanks for the support, I have calmed down a little now, work and meetings have helped. I have had people road rage in me before, but I have always been on 4 wheels, and for the last many years a Jeep Wrangler, so I don't worry about it too much in it. This is the first time it has really happened to me on the bike. What really freaks me out about it, is a friend of mine's girlfriend lost her leg a few years back by a car that went road rage on her, then left.

A co-worker says I should file a report, but I don't know. I look at it as:

1. He said/she said

2. I didn't get the full plate.

3. what could they even charge him with given we never touched?

i wouldnt bother

for all 3 reasons you listed.... number 3, if there was witnessed and stuff etc then maybe they could get him with some little BS charge...but for the most part, i would say just let it go and move on....glad you're ok...shit happens sometimes, next time dont cut in front of me while im driving my dump truck to work and we wont have a problem, ok? :D

did swing'r start driving a dump truck?

Good lord. Makes me wonder how many threads I don't read that I'm mentioned in :o

Sapphy, sounds like you just rubbed someone wrong that was have a bad

morning, it takes very little to set people off on the roads, I see it all the time,

hence the remark made above.

Also sounds like you're ready for a faster bike :D, a faster bike helps lose

assholes like that ;)

Also sounds like you're ready for a faster bike :D' date=' a faster bike helps lose

assholes like that ;)[/quote']

Maybe, but a faster bike would not have really helped me today, traffic was the big thing that was keeping me from getting away.

I was not going to split the lane. First it is illegal, second, I was already shaken, so I was not going to push it.

illegal yes. But I'd rather catch a ticket than a dump truck up my ass :dunno:

either way you got away from him though and thats all that matters currently