anyone play scratch off lottery?

oldschoolsdime92

I did them for a while but found that like all gambling the odds are not in your favor and the bank will win. Now the only time i play is when I get them as Christmas or birthday gifts.

I get the "you can't win if you don't play" mentality, but spending any more than a few dollars a month on tickets is just giving your moeny away.

I used to work at a grocery store where we sold a lot of lottery tickets. One employee won $500 once from a scratch-off she bought on her break. I hated Gail, so I did the math and added up how much she had (probably) spent on lotto over the 2 years I worked there.

She averaged 1 scratch-off ticket a day. So $730 for those 2 years. You bet your ass she was less excited about her $500 winner then. I followed it up with, "statistically, you're never going to win more than $20 ever again now."

I doubt she stopped playing, but if she did, that was probably the nicest mean thing I've ever done for someone.

i work with a guy who wins a ton of money on those things.....but he spends so much that i bet he actually loses....in the past year hes hit a $3000 scratch off, and a $500 scratch off being his two biggest ones...but he plays 10 and 20 dollar tickets, daily

hes not too smart either....one day he had 3 tickets, $20 each....first was a dud, second he won $40, third he won $10.....he says "wow, two winners in a row, i just won $50"....i didnt want to burst his bubble and tell him he actually lost $10 and didnt win anything....whatever floats his boat i guess

Edited by Steve Butters

The lottery wouldn't be able to stay "in business" if they weren't selling a lot more losers than winners.

Your friend is a higher-priced "Gail." She was giving away $4-$6 a week rather than $10 a day, but the result is the same.

I only buy scratch-offs when i'm drunk. I figure i'm already making bad decisions with my money, so it's just going to a different place.

I routinely refer to the lottery as the "idiot's 401k."

i love scratch offs so much that I got one in a christmas card and its still sitting in a gift bag unscratched off. Do these things expire?

Yes they do...

I stopped buying the $1 ones and am now graduated to the $20. The new one from the state, cant think of the name. I know its a black card with diamonds on it. It is actually marked 75% payback.

I have one 200.00 on one ticket and all together probably/truthfully put 160.00 into them and got back some where around 700.00

But have only one something nice on a $1 ticket once. Won 500.00 on one. But the majority have been losers.