I'd have to be nuts not to take this trade I just got offered... Right?

Josh1234

A 2000 Triumph Daytona 955i.

Clean title, 9500 miles.

It's, um, a little shady, what with all the phone tag and e-mail tag, but.... Well, sometimes you have to take a chance to get a deal.

Thoughts? He'll ask me to throw in some cash, but I'm prepared for that.

I AM seeing/riding the bike before we swap... And I have a notary friend who'll handle that part later. I mean, um, he'll be with us to handle the transfer.

I'm meeting the guy on the west side (at a mall, because he didn't want to come more east, and I refuse to go all the way to his house, so that he HAS to at least ride the motorcycle SOMEPLACE before I get on it).

OK, begin the flames and telling me how stupid I am for even wasting my time hoping this isn't a scam.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SHIT! that's one hell of an upgrade from a Blast.. 3x the cylinders and what about 3000x the power...lol I'd definately go over it closely and really make sure it's a clean title and not a salvage. Neutral meeting spot and bringing in a friend helps..

It sounds like your prepared. Just don't get too much chub in case this ends up being a unicorn. Good luck, hope it pans out!

SHIT! that's one hell of an upgrade from a Blast.. 3x the cylinders and what about 3000x the power...lol I'd definately go over it closely and really make sure it's a clean title and not a salvage. Neutral meeting spot and bringing in a friend helps..

It sounds like your prepared. Just don't get too much chub in case this ends up being a unicorn. Good luck, hope it pans out!

Great, wanna come with and help me look it over?

Actually, if ANYONE could make it to Elyria at 6 your help would be appreciated... I'm not real good at "looking bike over." Sorta new to riding :p

I'm not sure how surprised I'll be if he shows up at all... but y'know, some people just don't know what they have.

OOC, where DOES it say on an Ohio title if a bike is salvaged?

I'm looking on my title (which is clean) and I don't see anywhere where it lists title type.

of the vehicles I've registered in and out of Ohio.. Anything like an odometer descrepency, salvage/rebuild is usually marked in all caps with an asterisk. Since Ohio doesn't have state inspections though it's pretty easy to skirt around it and keep the title showing clean.

+1 on the VIN check. Good to know it's history.. 9500 miles isn't bad.. but is that 9500 miles one lap at a time or is that rode it alot at first and then has been sitting in his garage for the last 5 years. Has it been maintained? service records? All good to know kind of things.

Damn it, this is making me want a Sprint ST again..

If its salvaged, it will say right at the top..It usually says "Original" "Duplicate" or "Salvaged"...

A SAL title may even be a diffrent color...

At least go look it over..Wish I was closer, I'd fly up

If its salvaged, it will say right at the top..It usually says "Original" "Duplicate" or "Salvaged"...

Ah, that's it... it says "Original" right below the word "ohio" at the top. thanks.

I'll be in Avon around that time (I think)... but if you're meeting at Midway, that's ghetto. :p

You're nearby? If he calls me at 5 to verify the meeting at 6, wanna be the friend with the bat? :)

If you can change the meetspot Taco Bell at the Rt 90 / Rt 254 interchange I might be able to help you out. (Exit for LCCC)

But, if it's at Midway, I'd miss my dinner reservation at 7:15.

Ohh... and keep in mind I know NOTHING about decade-old Triumphs, and I'll be in semi-dress clothes so I probably won't be able to crawl around and under it.

Edited by JRMMiii

If you can change the meetspot Taco Bell at the Rt 90 / Rt 254 interchange I might be able to help you out. (Exit for LCCC)

But, if it's at Midway, I'd miss my dinner reservation at 7:15.

Ohh... and keep in mind I know NOTHING about decade-old Triumphs, and I'll be in semi-dress clothes so I probably won't be able to crawl around and under it.

That's fine, you still know more than I do.

I'll ask him when he calls at 5, supposedly.... there's a decent chance he won't even call to confirm :p If I wait until then to get back to you about the meeting spot, will you still have time to make it all work out?

I'd just feel WAY better about having someone there, both to look at the bike and to make sure I don't get mugged ;)

if its the one I'm thinking of, its been on craigslist since June. If it all checks out, he is probably just desperate to get rid of it and try to sell something else.

If I didn't have dinner plans I'd roll out with ya and attempt to look at it as much as I know how...which isn't much but better than nothing :lol:

Woot, that makes me feel better. Now, if only my seller/trader wasn't a no-show :(

There's no way I'm riding out west in 90 degree heat during rush hour for an hour there and an hour back when he hasn't called :(

You know what they say....

If it's too good to be true... It usually is. Or isn't. True. Or whatever.

*Goes back to secretly holding out hope*

Bah! So he just called.

I told him my GF was home and she and I were heading out to dinner, so it was too late for tonight.

He suggested tomorrow, and I asked for a time, and he said just give him a call. My GF is counseling against trading... She says if he acts like this and is unreliable in general, then how good could he have taken care of his bike?

Then again, it's a chance to move up from a Buell blast for only a couple-few hundred dollars out of pocket.

Here's what I'm thinking... If Mike/Kevin/anyone else can go with me, or meet us somewhere to help me look over the bike / provide peace of mind that I won't be mugged, raped, and shot, then I'm thinkin' I'll still take a look at it... Might be in great shape, and if not, I can always still walk away....

I have a feeling he just wants to get rid of it and needs money.

Sound good to you guys?