Ninja 500 vs Ninja 650r? Thoughts/opinions/comparisons?

Josh1234

I remember 4 years ago when I was told I would get bored of the little 650. How they were wrong.

Only you will know what you truly want.

Imo, since I haven't ridden either of the two bikes in question and never really considered them for myself, I would go with the 650 because it looks and sounds like a better touring bike than the 500. I could be wrong... But I see longer 500+ mile day on the 650 vs. the 500.

good luck on your search for the perfect bike.

I've owned and ridden two EX-500's for about 3 years total. It's a fine bike but if you're out on the open freeway and the wind starts blowing (regular summertime wind gusts - not a hurricane that just happens to be coming through) be ready for a really crappy ride. And I mean pucker factor 10 - you couldn't have gotten a guitar string up my ass on those rides.

The bike is just too small/light and seems to catch the wind way bad. Even with my big ass riding it (220 + gear) the wheels felt like they were going to blow out from under me when I'd ride from C-bus to Delaware on the daily commute via 70/270/33.

Ninja 750 ('99 I think) - no problem. It was a pig of a bike though - very heavy. Made me drunk with power and I wrecked it but I never got blown around by the wind.

I'm never going to deal with the wind in normal everyday riding situations again. 1100+ for me in the spring after I get some $$$ together. With a big comfy seat to boot :)

The EX500 was a great bike to work on and for short commuting and I'm sure there's plenty of people that have used them as a semi-sport tourer but I had to deal with the wind thing a few too many times. I'd never buy one again.

was replying on my phone before. allow me to elaborate.

There is nothing "wrong" with the EX500. Despite what someone said about its highway manners, it will do 80mph all day long. It's a parallel twin, so it gets a little "buzzy," but coming from a thumper, you'd never notice.

As far as passing power, I would encourage you to test ride one and decide for yourself. If I was traveling at anywhere near legal speeds (75 or under), I would drop into 4th for serious passes. Above that, 5th is probably enough, but the acceleration up to 80 is much stronger than beyond 80.

The 650r is better in absolutely every way than the EX500. Fuel injection, balance, stiffer chassis, better brakes, better looks, and better ergonomics. Kawasaki's marketing literature for the 650r bragged a lot about how it was "built around the rider," and they weren't bull-shitting. I haven't ridden one for any extended period of time (really just sat on them at shows and dealerships), but everything definitely feels like it's just in the right place.

If you can afford one, they are fantastic street bikes.

If you can't, and really don't mind carburetors (you suggested the EX500...), a first generation SV650 is a great compromise. You'll get the same ~70 horsepower that the 650r puts out, and vastly improved brakes and chassis compared to the EX. The only ingredient missing is the fuel injection.

the naked model has a very nice upright riding position too. I doubt it's quite as comfortable as the 650R, but it's still a very pleasant place to be. What's better is that you can find them for $2200 in pretty decent shape.

i had a 650 for my first year, and only recently got the r6. i'd probably reverse it now. loved that bike. it was MUCH comfier, i could still tuck, and lean and shit that i thought i'd be doing on the r6. (still haven't gone on a good ride yet...)

and it got much less gripe from bitches, which i find myself riding frequently.

Thanks guys, good stuff in here.

I think I'd probably snap up an SV650 if I saw a good deal..... And I'm def leaning torwards the 650... the only real advantage, other than price, of an ex-500, is more experience riding different kind of bikes. That's part of the fun for me, and as a developing rider, experience trying out different rides is worthwhile. Granted, it might be an expensive lesson :)

Unless I sell my blast soon, It's looking like I won't be acquiring a new bike this fall... I tend to just pucker up when I think about taking money out of the bank. If I sell my blast, then I'll be in top gear mode to buy a new bike, and have the cash sitting in a pile. As it is now, I have $800 in cash under my matress + a bank account with plenty in it... Just hurts to think about withdrawing it, so I'd much rather sell the blast.

The important thing is that I'm not desperate, and if I can make myself be patient enough, I can wait for the winter to get a good deal, and take it, and then sell the blast in the spring. I add $400/month to my cash-pile for a new bike.

Course, it's tough to test-ride and ride it home in the winter, unless you guys just mean cold temps, (not snow) and cold temps don't bother me AT ALL for riding.

As it is now, I have $800 in cash under my matress + a bank account with plenty in it... Just hurts to think about withdrawing it, so I'd much rather sell the blast.

The important thing is that I'm not desperate, and if I can make myself be patient enough, I can wait for the winter to get a good deal, and take it, and then sell the blast in the spring. I add $400/month to my cash-pile for a new bike.

Ok...So you have $800 currently saved for a bike. You can add $400 a month to that each month you wait if I understand you correctly. You also have the Buell to sell. I would save up for 3-5 months and sell the Buell in the spring when new riders are looking for a bike. This way you have 4-5k to play with and can get a hell of a bike.

$800 under his mattress. That's just bug-out money. I took his post to mean that he had plenty in the bank; just not necessarily earmarked for a bike, the way the $800 is.

Josh - there are enough OR members with trailers (myself included) that you shouldn't have any issues getting a bike home this winter if you find a decent deal.

that actually looks really good, but anyone willing to admit that they maxed out their credit cards is either a moron, or has a damn low credit limit.

I have 2 actual "credit" cards, and I think the limit on the lower of the two is $12,000

I could live fucking BALLER if I had no disregard for debt.

You'll get a better selection on tires on the 650. The 500 came with a 130 on the rear, a 150 will fit, but that's pretty much the max.

Plus rain has a tendency to make the 500 sputter, I'm not sure if it's water collecting in the plug wells or rain and spray getting on the coil packs through the vents under the turn signals.

Thanks guys!

As for the Bad's link... I've been e-mailing him... The salvage title scares me, especially since he gave me a B.S. story about it having it because it was Repo'd.

I spent 5 minutes on google to learn a repo title is issued and when paid off, a normal title is then re-issued :p

I have someone coming to look at the blast, though, tomorrow morning, so here's hoping............. :D

The game will change if my $800 turns into 2800.

Amazing bike.

I'm a huge fan of the FZ6/FZ1/Z750 style bikes.

They are all the "sport" you could ever hope to use on the street, and will keep you smiling all day long at a trackday.

But they're also damn comfortable, and can accommodate luggage, a touring wind-screen, and usually have lower insurance than supersports.

You will get left by a GSXR 750 in a straight line, but you'll have more useable torque, and your back won't be sore when you get wherever you're going.

I wish these were more popular in the US. real SPORT-tourers. And they're generally pretty cheap.