Ninja 500 vs Ninja 650r? Thoughts/opinions/comparisons?

Josh1234

I'm leaning toward one of these two bikes right now as a likely next ride... End of the season, there's some cheap deals, and I ride in the cold long enough into the season to still enjoy a new bike before putting it away for the winter.

Both have more HP than my Blast and both have fairly comfortable seating, right?

Just wondering about some opinions and what everything thought about these two models... A 2000+ 500 can be had for less than 2 grand, and a 2007+ 650r can be had for less than 3...

Toss in your $0.02 for me!

Extra credit if you do own/have owned one or the other.

Thanks guys & gals,

-- Josh

We have a 2008 Kawasaki Versys for sale at the store. It's the same engine as the Ninja 650R but geared to have a more torque on the lower end so it's quick in very tight situations. The 650 engine also holds 80MPH very well with minimal vibration and still gives you lots of extra power for passing.

In comparison, the Ninja 500 will do freeways just fine, but you'll feel winded out after 25 miles buzzing at 75MPH. Both bikes are available to look at here if you want to do an actual side-by-side comparison. We also have the Suzuki GS500 as another example.

I bought redkow's 97 500, and after a full season, it has left me wanting more.. great bike and I Have Nothing bad to say about it, but I'm wanting bigger now.. I agree that if you get a 500, you will be craving more in a season or two!

ok the BIG!!!!! difference is going to be that the 500 isn't fuel injected so that alone may make or break your decision. I find that the 500 has enough power and everything for the street (I roll with 600cc+ all the time) but on the highway sometimes Its not as smooth as I'd like and FI would make that happen for me which the 650 has. It's not like a leap up it's like a step up like not a huge one though it's like those pedestals that you need when your a kid to pee in the toilet properly.

I'd sell mine if I didn't damage the upper fairing because I want a sv1k but it was a great bike after 2 seasons, and it held up well to my crash so I can vouch for the durability of them. I'd actually let you test ride also but I can't tighten the chain since i've only got access to one hand till october

Edited by cornbreadxd

A friend of mine just bought a 650R and loves it, he also has a GSXR750 and has a hard time deciding which to ride...He claims the low end of the 650R is great, but he also claims that it runs out of steam fast as you get into the higher gears.

I agree on the FI point mentioned, that would certainly sway my decision to the 650 rather than the 500.

Best of luck with your search!

The 650. Good standard-style bike with farings. But make sure you're not setting yourself up for another switch too soon. If your very proficient, think about the kind of riding you like, the kind of bike that's best suited long-term for that purpose, and go for the end game.

If that bike is more than you're used to, just take it easy for a year until you get comfy.

Thanks very much for the responses, everyone!

I figured most would pick the 650 for me... Only problems are limited color choice, limited budget, limited availability :) They were only made '07 and after, and with a redesign in '09, anything 09 or newer is too expensive. I'm looking at a couple '07's... A blue with a salvage title, and a red with a good title... but those (few) from here who've ridden with me know my jacket/helmet/gloves are blue, haha. I hate red on a bike and I LOVE blue, but I might have to compromise on this next bike.

I know a 500 wouldn't hold me long-term, but it would be a more powerful bike to move up to after a Blast, as well as a smoother riding experience... I don't mind the baby steps before buying the bike of my dreams... It gives me more experience riding and more experience on more types of bikes.

Good feedback, though, from the EX-500 guys... I DO get annoyed when I'm on the highway and don't have the "oomph" to pass people quickly, and I'll admit that 1+ hour on the freeway on an underpowered bike makes me want to ride less (or less far).

Sounds like people are definitely leaning towards the 650r for very solid reasons and now I'm leaning that way also... (But sheesh, you can get an EX-500 for under 1500 and any 650r will be at least 2500+ :()

I love these conundrums :) They're fun!

Edited by Josh1234
typos

Dont pick a bike depending on color. They sell paint every day. Get the right bike, then paint it whatever color you want. Even moar ghey to have gear that matches the bike, it's the anti-baller status ;)

Appearance is important to me... Makes it more fun to ride.

Painting a bike is either a pain in the ass to do it myself (I'm lazy) or expensive to have someone do it for me :p

As for gear matching bike... Yeah, right now blue gear & black bike works fine... I wouldn't want to do blue gear/blue bike. that's TOO much blue.

Go for the 650....actually go for a 750 if you can. I have bought too little bike in the past, if you're bored with the blast, you're gonna get bored with the 500, and you're just never going to get the smoothness of an inline 4 out of a parallel twin. As for looks, I've never picked any vehicle based on color, I've noticed that when on or in it, I don't pay much attention, and I could really give a shit what the people I pass on the street think.