Passing a stopped school bus

Scruit

What is there to discuss? What part of not endangering children do you not understand? I've seen some idiotic things recently but this takes the cake. :nono:
It's not a divided highway, it doesn't matter if there are 4 lanes. Ridiculous
Where a highway has been divided into four or more traffic lanes, a driver of a vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley need not stop for a school bus approaching from the opposite direction which has stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging any school child
An apology might be in order here. Hope you've never issued a ticket for this.

ORC § 4511.75 Stopping for stopped school bus....

© Where a highway has been divided into four or more traffic lanes, a driver of a vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley need not stop for a school bus approaching from the opposite direction which has stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging any school child, persons attending programs offered by community boards of mental health and county boards of mental retardation and developmental disabilities, or children attending programs offered by head start agencies. The driver of any vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley overtaking the school bus shall comply with division (A) of this section.

I am a police officer at the Millersburg PD...

Millersburg PD

330-674-5931

What is there to discuss? What part of not endangering children do you not understand? I've seen some idiotic things recently but this takes the cake. :nono:
It's not a divided highway, it doesn't matter if there are 4 lanes. Ridiculous

***edit: I had something snarky to put in here as a comment to the above, but the thinking side of my brain has decreed that I should stand down with the snarky comments. For now.

I wouldn't have stopped. Most people who do stop would probably rather be safe than sorry. A little extra time taken out of your day is much better than hitting a kid.

^^^ this. What is it, a minute out of your life? No big deal in the grand scheme of things.

That being said, OP did nothing wrong. He even slowed slightly.

It looks like the yellow "caution I'm stopping" lights are on, but the red lights on the stop sign are not as far as I can tell. It looks like the stop sign isn't even out yet.

The school buses down here have the yellow and the red. Just like traffic lights. The yellow typically mean they are preparing to stop, the red mean they have stopped and are burpping out kids.

But always up for an education.

Should have said amber instead of yellow.

Thought I'd put that out there before the morality cops/ know it all's pointed it out.

The tone of this thread would have been better if the question was "Did I screw up?" vs. "FU I'm a lawless child endangerer" :)

He asked an opinion and boy did he get some.

I enlarged the picture and it shows the light also flashing red on the stop sign just as he looked at it in passing (judgement call by the observing officer).

But the road is still divided into for lanes, does not specify the road must be divided by a median strip.

It still going to be a judgement call. Brotherlaw is an LT at the OHP academy (I know most everyone hates on those guys here). I can let him view it and give another opinion, but that's just what it would be.

Why so upset? It is a 4 lane. A public school bus CANNOT in the state of Ohio (or any other state) make kids cross a 4 lane highway!

I do it all the time. If you were heading the other way it would be a different story. But, no you do not have to stop in this situation. I get F'in irritated by those that do.

I enlarged the picture and it shows the light also flashing red on the stop sign just as he looked at it in passing (judgement call by the observing officer).

But the road is still divided into for lanes, does not specify the road must be divided by a median strip.

It still going to be a judgement call. Brotherlaw is an LT at the OHP academy (I know most everyone hates on those guys here). I can let him view it and give another opinion, but that's just what it would be.

4 lane road. The law says you don't have to stop for a bus traveling in the other direction. There's nothing for your brother-in-law or anyone else to interpret.

Should have said amber instead of yellow.

Oh Black Betty! Amberlamps.

We might be right, but you're still hot, and I'm still an old ugly married loser that hopes to be pulled over by you someday.

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by SpeedTriple44444

1) isn't BB an LEO?

2) if you're not required to stop, please don't. Most 4-lanes are 45 MPH or faster. If you stop and I'm not prepared to, you have caused an accident. Please don't be polite and stop when you don't have to.