Just bought a Concours

ShawnR

It's been a year since the crash (deer) and I just bought a replacement bike. 87 Kawasaki Concours - $900.

Fuel petcock leaks, shift shaft seal leaks and has exhaust leaks, but seems to run & ride fine. I will probably fix it up over the winter and may give an attempt at refinishing & painting the plastics. It can't look much worse than it does now. I do have the hard bags, but took them off to strap it to the trailer.

It is looks familiar to anyone and you might know a history, speak up.

concours3.jpg

concours4.jpg

Edited by ShawnR

Good job Shawn, :D

You will find that the Concours is a very easy bike to work on, I'm on my 2nd. and do all my own work. Get the Clymer manual, it is the copy of the Kawi Shop manual, just cheaper.

Any questions. let me know, I'll try anything once.

Ride safe all, and ATGATT please.

Greg

Good buy, but for future reference it is not advised to strap a bike down either with the kick stand down or the center stand since it put a lot of pressure on the frame where it shouldn't be. Should be an easy job to fix it up and have a great ride! :)

Good job Shawn, :D

You will find that the Concours is a very easy bike to work on, I'm on my 2nd. and do all my own work. Get the Clymer manual, it is the copy of the Kawi Shop manual, just cheaper.

Any questions. let me know, I'll try anything once.

Ride safe all, and ATGATT please.

Greg

Only "pussies" ride Concours right Greg? :D

OP. Glad you're riding again!

Most of those Concours's have a ton of miles on them. How many does this one have? For 900$ either way, nice pickup!

49,000 miles. About half as many as my ST1100 had when it got smashed. New tires front & rear as well.

I'll run through it and flush all of the fluids (brake, clutch, rear drive) and then put some effort into making it "pretty". I like doing that kind of stuff and can wheel it into the basement to make it a winter project.

Wondered how long it would be.

I think I'd do compression check, valve adjust, plugs, fluids and brake pads.

Inspect and R&R bits and pieces.

Clean and paint. Looks like a Corbin saddle.

What color/s? Thinking silver and two tone blue.

Good buy.

If you need pointers as you start working on the bike, and don't find the expertise you need here, I can recommend the Concours Owners Group forum. It's a great group of people and you don't have to be a paying member of COG to sign up for the forum to post and ask questions. There are lots of people there who have many years and miles on the original Concours and can answer probably any question.

http://forum.cog-online.org/