Plug or Patch/

wideopen0827

So I just replaced my rear tire about 300 miles ago. Today I open my garage and find the bike sitting on a flat. After the slure of F bombs and every other word I looked it over and found that something put a very small puncter in it not in the tread line but in the meat in the center. I'm not going to replace so late in the season I probably will wait until spring,but for now I am wondering what other's have used and had no problems (hopefully) plug or patch :mad:

A quality, properly installed string plug will outlast the tire...every time. And, even in the worst case? It's not going to explode it's going to leak very slowly if it fails so if you monitor your pressures (you should anyway), it will be a non issue in that part of the tire.

I've run 10k on a plugged tire and not thought twice about it. Tech brand are the best, the Slime brand string plugs are supposedly very good too.

• 2 weeks later...

Plugs work good but can let go in extreme heat or speed. My cousin threw a plug at 145 while running from the cops, ended up getting caught. I've had a plug in the back tire of my seca since memorial day weekend and had it up to 110 in 90 degree heat no problem. I have heard of string plugs simply oozing/popping out of the tire at a stand still on really hot days tho.

plug it no prob I have had lots of tires with plugs in them and they have lasted the whole life of the tires I think shops say not to plug them because they want to sell you the tires

It's probably more of a liability thing, if there is a problem the shop could get sued by a creative attorney.

I had a nail go sideways into my rear tread with 800 miles.. Sucked ass as I was 700 miles from home.. I was faced with the proposition, plug/patch in Deals Gap, 2 up, in late July.. Or replace the tire and ask for a bottle of KY when he hands me the bill. I replaced the tire.

However, if it were me this time of year and with my normal riding style.. I'd say combo kit or bust.

Yay for my second screw in a new rear tire! Why can't it ever happen to old tires? Well, gonna plug it tonight or tomorrow. I still have plugs in my slime kit.

what pisses me off us that I know the screw came from the hill jack maintenance guy fixing up the apartment next door. But my complex says I can't prove it...

• 6 months later...

So This happened today to my tire with less than 200 miles on it!!

454548ef.jpg

Is the general consensus that plugging an MC tire is ok? Because I really don't want to drop another $200 on a new tire. Its almost dead in the middle of the tread which I would think is the best case scenario for a puncture.

454548ef.jpg

Is the general consensus that plugging an MC tire is ok? Because I really don't want to drop another $200 on a new tire. Its almost dead in the middle of the tread which I would think is the best case scenario for a puncture.

damn dude did you get my bad luck?

damn dude did you get my bad luck?

Actually I think I did, my brother dropped my brand new helmet this morning on the concrete! I hope these 2 things plus the bike getting knocked over are my 3 bad things. Hopefully this shit will stop happening now.

The good news however is that I scrubbed off the chicken strips on them today :D

454548ef.jpg

I would definitely replace that tire, that's just not safe. I'll give you $50 for it.

I would definitely replace that tire, that's just not safe. I'll give you $50 for it.

Lol, already plugged. We will see how it goes.

And this apparently happened on my ride home from getting it mounted because my dad noticed it was low this morning before I even left my apartment. So less than 20 miles and I picked up a screw.