If I had a vehicle with OnStar, I'd probably be unplugging it.

Casper

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read about this... I even got the OnStar TOS in my e-mail regarding it about a week ago.

I have mixed feelings. I'm a BIG privacy advocate, so the "spying" and selling of data without my consent, I'm not keen on. Data collection is great for companies when it's done and parsed in "anonymous aggregate" - it makes for better products, reflects of actual market use, etc. etc etc. But, it's one thing for GM to use it as a product development tool, it's another for them to sell it to other agencies (including law enforcement and insurance) without your explicit consent. Only because no matter how you slice it, it's hard to take data, especially GPS data, and anonymize it.

And I don't know if Redkow wants to weigh in as the resident pro-bono legal expert, but I have an suspicion that OnStar may be in for some litigation soon regarding this "always on two-way data connection". The way I see it, if you have an active data connection to my vehicle, regardless of my account status, you're taking some liability. I haven't read or researched the situation as thoroughly as usual, but picture this hypothetical situation:

-Man steals my truck

-I haven't paid for OnStar in over a year, but they are contacted and made aware the vehicle is stolen

-Man leads police on chase

-OnStar still has an active data connection to the vehicle, meaning they can track it, and/or are capable of immobilizing it for said chase

-Man crashes into school bus

-Did/Does OnStar have an obligation to immobilize the vehicle since they are maintaining an active data connection with the vehicle at all times regardless of my account status? :dunno:

Big brother is watching.

Be lucky it's just OnStar right now.

When CARB implements OBD3 diagnostics, there's rumors of ALL new vehicles being able to be tracked, wirelessly.

So, for those with uber-paranoia, pretty soon you'll be stuck buying used cars pre model year 201x for the rest of your lives.

Is wireshark a code fork of etherreal?

Simple answer: Wireshark is the renamed Ethereal project.

Read the FAQ at Wireshark if you care to learn more. Too tired after scheduled 1 hour "drink the Kool-Aid" session that went almost 2 hours.

Grrrrr.

Your phone can be tracked for similar info. Even an app you might have installed, may be doing so. Only don't know which vehicle you're in. But would know approximately which bar, gas station, or restaurant you stopped at. Sort of like FaceBook, heh?

I've noticed in Florida, that if you have a phone installed in your car, it can ring and give an advertisement for something nearby, while driving down the road.

I've never subscribed to OnStar. I've had my truck about 8 years. I plugged off the camera in the rearview mirror with a piece of paper (aka spitwad) a long time ago.

I've noticed the system does a self check an awful lot. Like it "sees" the camera to the cabin area is inop and it's trying get it to work again.

I always think someone at OnStar is just going through the motions testing random vehicles and spying on people to entertain themselves till the end of the workday...

Yet another reason why I prefer to ride then drive.. by the time you ping the gps in my dinosaur of a cell phone on monday...its thursday..

I've never subscribed to OnStar. I've had my truck about 8 years. I plugged off the camera in the rearview mirror with a piece of paper (aka spitwad) a long time ago.

I've noticed the system does a self check an awful lot. Like it "sees" the camera to the cabin area is inop and it's trying get it to work again.

I always think someone at OnStar is just going through the motions testing random vehicles and spying on people to entertain themselves till the end of the workday...

Yet another reason why I prefer to ride then drive.. by the time you ping the gps in my dinosaur of a cell phone on monday...its thursday..

camera in rear view mirror?

Yep, my truck has one too.

It's for the people baller enough to have a rearview cam, but not baller enough to get a nav screen where the image would normally be displayed... so you get like a 2" by 1.5" image in the mirror. The camera itself is in the tailgate handle/latch.

mito_50_genk242.jpg

And when the camera's not in use, it looks just like a regular mirror. Kinda like how the sideview mirrors have the turn signals built into them...

thats what i thought of too, but the way he was talking

camera in the rearview mirror

camera to the cabin area

made it sound like he thinks there is a camera inside to watch you drive?

id call that a screen in the mirror, not a camera in the mirror. as you said, the camera is on the back :)