If I had a vehicle with OnStar, I'd probably be unplugging it.

Casper

Interior cameras ARE coming...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/05/ces-2011-gm-shows-off-onstar-equipped-with-4g-skype-video-mon/#continued

But until someone show me a pic of what is being the spitball I'm going to assume you covered up something innocuous, likethe microphone.

Oh, and all the video stuff in this prototye car is the same as the stuff I have had in my car for years. Cameras that are activated by impact detection, interior intrusion, trunk/hood opening etc. Wirlessly downloads to my PC when I want to review and incident or I can use the 7" in-dash screen I custom installed.

I'm wondering when they will make dashcams mandatory.

even my dumbass knows the difference between the microphone and a sensor/camera looking thing

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

either i'm wrong or the silverado forum consensus is wrong. There is 2 spots that look like a sensor and the one of the backside of the mirror, facing towards the windshield is definitely the light sensor. The one on the front i suppose to be a cam camera. I have no way of confirming thats exactly what it is, but i also have no reason to not believe it

There is a light sensor to detect hi-beams behind you and dim the mirror.

You can confirm if it is a camera by reading this post: http://www.ohioriders.net/showpost.php?p=727594&postcount=35

Both CCD and CMOS cameras will reflect a tiny dot of white/purple light. Test this on you camera phone, webcam, regular camera etc to see what it looks like.

There is a light sensor to detect hi-beams behind you and dim the mirror.

You can confirm if it is a camera by reading this post: http://www.ohioriders.net/showpost.php?p=727594&postcount=35

Both CCD and CMOS cameras will reflect a tiny dot of white/purple light. Test this on you camera phone, webcam, regular camera etc to see what it looks like.

interesting, might have to try this then. I don't think I woulda ever noticed due to the fact my windows are tinted pretty dark so the mirror never dimmed at night from cars behind me, at least to my recollection. I guess i just bought into the silverado forum paranoia :lol:

Edited by Bad324

even my dumbass knows the difference between the microphone and a sensor/camera looking thing

Not with a spitball crammed in there. If you can tell the difference between a camera and a sensor then pull the spitball off and tell me what it is. Is is translucent? Transparent? White/Purple dot?

A camera is a CCD or CMOS sensor with a transparent lens. Easy to tell when you stare right in to it

Edited by Scruit

Onstar released a statement

New Terms & Conditions

The following statement can be attributed to Joanne Finnorn, Vice President, Subscriber Services

"OnStar has and always will give our customers the choice in how we use their data. We've also been very open with our customers about changes in services and privacy terms.

"Under our new Terms and Conditions, when a customer cancels service, we have informed customers that OnStar will maintain a two-way connection to their vehicle unless they ask us not to do so. In the future, this connection may provide us with the capability to alert vehicle occupants about severe weather conditions such as tornado warnings or mandatory evacuations. Another benefit for keeping this connection "open" could be to provide vehicle owners with any updated warranty data or recall issues.

"Of course, if the customer requests us to turn off the two-way connection, we will do as we have always done, and that is honor customers' requests.

"Our guiding practices regarding sharing our subscribers' personal information have not changed. We are always very specific about with whom we share customers' personal information, and how they will use it. We have never sold any personally identifiable information to any third party.

"Keeping the two-way connection open will also allow OnStar to capture general vehicle information that could be used in future product development.

"We apologize for creating any confusion about our Terms and Conditions. We want to make sure we are as clear with our customers as possible, but it's apparent that we have failed to do this. As always, we are listening to our subscribers' feedback and we will continue to be open to their suggestions and concerns."

Onstar released a statement I amended it with my interpretation, from online sources, of what I think a more honest statement would be.

New Terms & Conditions

The following statement can be attributed to Joanne Finnorn, Vice President, Subscriber Services, as amended in a satirical and lawsuit-safe work of opinion by me.

"OnStar has and always will give our customers the choice in how we use their data although whether we clearly inform our customers THAT the choice HASto be made before defaulting to "using the data" is another matter. We've also been very open with our customers about changes in services and privacy terms by placing an extra sentence in the middle of the 15 page adhesion contract that, and lets be honest here, nobody actually reads.

"Under our new Terms and Conditions, when a customer cancels service, we have informed the customers via 2-point fine print that OnStar will maintain a two-way connection (proving your service fees are over-inflated because we can can run thousands of links for free) to their vehicle unless they ask us not to do so although unless you ACTIVELY ask us not to then we will assume you privacy means nothing to you. In the future, this connection may provide us with the capability to alert vehicle occupants about severe weather conditions such as tornado warnings or mandatory evacuations. Another benefit for keeping this connection "open" could be to provide vehicle owners with any updated warranty data or recall issues. Of course we're hoping you don't ask about other potential uses such as notifying police when you speed, sell your driving pattern infromation to your insurance company or maybe even selling your driving history to a Private Investigator that your ex-wife hired to spy on you. Please understand that in the event you lock your 2-year old child in your car we have a complaint history that indicates we will probably NOT help you if you have cancelled your service already. So, if you unsubscribe then we will watch you like a hawk, but not help you, even if your child's life is in danger*. We would rather refer you to the yellow pages as your child pleads to be let out of the freezing car while you wait for a tow truck to drive an hour to your location and open the door... than just simply press a damn button on our computer.

"Of course, if the customer requests us to turn off the two-way connection, we will do as we have always done, and that is honor customers' requests. We know nobody ready the fine print in the contract anyway so we know they won't think to ask. Suckers.

"Our guiding practices regarding sharing our subscribers' personal information have not changed. We are always very specific about with whom we share customers' personal information, and how they will use it. We have never sold any personally identifiable information to any third party. Did you notice we didn't way it will NEVER change, and that we will NEVER sell that data. Shhh. :-D Hey, it's a tough economy, gotta make a buck somehow. Check for our new website www.whoisthatchubbygirlinthesuburban_iwanttowearherskinlikeagirlcostume.com coming soon.

"Keeping the two-way connection open will also allow OnStar to capture general vehicle information that could be used in future product development. Welcome to paying us to be a beta tester. Future GM products may include a place to wipe your boogers. Yup, we saw you. Don't deny it.

"We apologize for creating any confusion about our Terms and Conditions. We want to make sure we are as clear with our customers as possible, but it's apparent that we have failed to do this. As always, we are listening to our subscribers' feedback and we will continue to be open to their suggestions and concerns. Just don't suggest we go out of our way to help you."

* Hey! Scruit! OnStar would NEVER jeapordize the life of a child locked in a freezing car in 25F temps by refusing to use the unlock feature simply because service was cancelled? Would they? Go to http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/onstar.html and Search for "Tim of Stratford"

Edited by Scruit

What's next? Will they get ex-subscribers to agree to turn on their data collection by sending out a letter that says; "

Fill out and return to renew your subscription!!

BTW, we're hoping you'd give us permission to turn your data connection back on. To make this easier we'll assume you're ok with it - if not then just send us a letter and we'll keep it off