Carrying in commercial vehicle

idodishez

Just heard something on radio about not being allowed to carry in commercial vehicle. An ODOT rule, not employer rule. Is this true? Does this apply to any commercial vehicle? Or only one where you would have a CDL?

I drive a company owned van/work truck daily, and carry daily. (no CDL ) Am I breaking some law that I wasn't aware of?

I went through my class yesterday 9/25/2011. This is not true from what i learned and after october 1st you do not even need to holster your weapon you can just lay on dash if you want! IMO that is very stupid because if you get in an accident best case you have a flying brick in your car worst case it flies out and is picked up by a kid around the accident. Our instructor even told us that you are allowed to carry in public rest stops now which i would believe are ran by ODOT?!?!?

The law is not an odot law it is a federal law as commercial vehicles fall under federal hiway guidlines and yes it has always been illegal to have a firearm in a commercial vehicle and that falls under federal law just as no radar detectors in a commercial vehicle. Now if there is a way around that Id love to know it and I have a hard time believing a trucking company owner paid for all his drivers to get it and only hires drivers now that have one because that is against federal law. This is clearly stated in the law books and cdl packets. I have not seen a loop hole for chl holders but if there is one post it up.

The law is not an odot law it is a federal law as commercial vehicles fall under federal hiway guidlines and yes it has always been illegal to have a firearm in a commercial vehicle and that falls under federal law just as no radar detectors in a commercial vehicle. Now if there is a way around that Id love to know it and I have a hard time believing a trucking company owner paid for all his drivers to get it and only hires drivers now that have one because that is against federal law. This is clearly stated in the law books and cdl packets. I have not seen a loop hole for chl holders but if there is one post it up.

well ya learn something new everyday. I was unaware of this and technically my truck is a commercial truck so looks like I'm kinda screwed :(

All I'm saying is what he told us he was the instructor that trained them.

If your not permitted to carry in commercial vehicle why are commercial vehicles mentioned in ORC in regards to when you are required to notify?

Our instructor even told us that you are allowed to carry in public rest stops now which i would believe are ran by ODOT?!?!?

I don't know about this, isn't that considered government property since it is run by the state? I would think the blanket rule of no guns in or on government property would still be in effect because when I took mine a few months ago this was a HUGE no no.

All I'm saying is what he told us he was the instructor that trained them.

If your not permitted to carry in commercial vehicle why are commercial vehicles mentioned in ORC in regards to when you are required to notify?

I cant answer that and like I said I hope there is a loop hole I dont know. And doesnt fed law trump state law so orc would not really matter right or wrong?

Yes truckers do but it is illegal..doesnt mean nobody does it. And commercial vehicle is not just one that requires a cdl.

i have commercial plates on my truck even though its my "personal" truck so I'm led to believe I would fall in this category, correct?

Next question would be, both my parents cars are company owned but they do not have commercial plates. Would they fall in this category as well? (they both are licensed and carry on occasion)

i have commercial plates on my truck even though its my "personal" truck so I'm led to believe I would fall in this category, correct?

Next question would be, both my parents cars are company owned but they do not have commercial plates. Would they fall in this category as well? (they both are licensed and carry on occasion)

:dunno:

Thats the problem all those answers seem to be speculation and opinion. In the cdl books and fed reg books it says no. Ohio books not really clear and every officer you ask has a different answer. So again Id love for someone to find a solid legal in writing answer.

I am a CDL driver, and I have not been able to find any loopholes as well. This law is certainly true.

So, would an armored truck be a "commercial vehicle"? Those guys are carrying weapons.

According to my brief Interwebz search at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Rules and Regs site, it looks like there's nothing prohibiting you from carrying a firearm, provided the state you're in at the time has reciprocity with Ohio (assuming you're licensed in Ohio, and the state you're in requires licensing).

As stated twice already, I'd consult an attorney who's well-versed in this area of the law.

According to Ohio's regs, you're required to notify the Motor Carrier guys if they stop you.

Edited by jblosser
"area", not "are" of the law...