Honest opinion guys

Siacono

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at the 2012 CBR 1ltr but I am not sure on the fly-by-wire thing

DAMN TECHNOLOGY - YOU SCARY!

Motoseries will probably make you replace the "fly-by-wire thing" with cables to race. :D

Just playin'.

My serious opinion - if you want a quality-time, get-your-hands-dirty "resto-mod" type project, do your thing with the F2. I can understand the satisfaction in something like that. However, if your goal is actually performance for your dollar, you can go buy yourself over a decade of large-corporation research and development for less than the "rebuild" you listed.

I know a guy that had an rc51, he said it was only good for acceleration, braking and turning. At a constant speed it was pretty much worthless in terms of ridability. As far as the rebuild you want to do on the f2 that it doesn't really need, take it from someone who is halfway through a motor rebuild project that I'm already into for $500+, its time and money and lots of both, neither of which you will ever recoup. I'm boring and camming my old cb 750 just because I never have done that on an inline 4 and want to be able to say "i built the motor myself" to every Harley rider I smoke on it, but its never going to perform like a modern bike. F2 was awesome for its day but the market has made huge advances in motor, frame and especially suspension technology since then. If you have the cash, get something new-ish, its going to respond and perform better than that f2 no matter what you do to it. If you're going to drop a shit ton of dough, get something exotic like ktm or aprilia...I almost never see those on the road.

Seems to me like you've researched the crap outta the F2 build - you didn't just pull those upgrades off the top of your head.

I'm guessing your mind's already made up (rebuild), so go for it.

I, personally, wouldn't drop that much coin into an almost 19 year old bike, but that's just me.

If I had budgeted $15 large and just <had> to spend it, maybe use $2.5 of it to restore the F2 (rebuild engine, paint, plastics), $10K to an untitled one or two model year old bike, and $2.5K into savings for a rainy day fund.

Is say buy new, ton of left overs out there and the closer to the end of the year the better the deals. I'm sure ull b able to find at cbr1k left over new for ten or less, I've seen brand new zx14going for $9999 earlier this month. Check out powersports360.com and Honda east in Toledo. They seem to always hv good deals on left overs.

i'm in the buy a new/newer bike group. if you do it right, you can spend less buying a whole bike with new tech for less than all the parts you'd want to put into the F2. I understand the whole nostalgia thing, so just keep the F2 for the times you want to run memory lane. But I'm betting once you go new, the F2 will no longer matter

I agree 100% with Pauly's earlier post. New bikes are a ripoff. Especially if you have cash in hand.

I've owned a '93 F2, and I currently own an '03 600RR (which is almost identical to the '05 era Pauly suggested).

The 10 year difference in technology is HUGE. You'er talking 15 more horsepower, in a package that's 40 lbs lighter. Combine that with a vastly improved chassis, fuel injection, and much better brakes, and it's a different world.

Any 600 is going to need to be revved to get power, but you should be used to that from the F2. The only difference will be that a more modern 600 won't stumble (FI) when you down-shift and twist the loud handle.

I get that you like your F2, but sinking that much money into it is a losing proposition. That's money you'll never get back. Keep the F2 and enjoy it for what it is. I'd do a "light" version of the total overhaul you were looking at. Have the suspension rebuilt, powder-coat the frame, and get the engine tuned back up to stock. Repair and repaint the stock plastics. Then you save yourself the cost of the engine work and new fairings (probably $1,000 or more?), and you've still got a bike you can enjoy.

Then use the other $13,000 you've got left over to pick up something more modern. You can't beat the extra torque of the '05 636. If you want something less aggressive, the FZ6 is a fantastic street bike. put $1,000 into the suspension, and it's an AMAZING all around bike. Oh, and you'll have $6k left over still...

I agree 100% with Pauly's earlier post. New bikes are a ripoff. Especially if you have cash in hand.

absolutely this! I'll let some other sucker take the hit on depreciation and find a deal on a newish low mileage bike. I hate losing money

absolutely this! I'll let some other sucker take the hit on depreciation and find a deal on a newish low mileage bike. I hate losing money

I agree, as well. Go with newER. Less maintenance costs + better technology = more time to just ride and enjoy.

Well, looks lke the vote is NEWISH... Guess I will get new and just RESTORE the F2 to stock minus suspension.. Runs great and doesn't really need anything besides a valve adjustment maybe clutch and TT guides.. Then will just go ahead and spend the money on paint...

I want a beast... lol I could just roll it up on my gsxr and that is the kinda power I want.... My XX scared the hell outta me but that was also almost 15yrs ago I have gained alot more riding skills since then....

^ look at the Z750 for sale for $3500 here.

Then you'll have PLENTY left over to really go nuts with the F2 if you want, but also have a fantastic street bike to ride while you're working on it.

the difference between a 1997 GSXR 750 and a 2005(?) Z750 is... well, let's just say that if you liked the power on the old suzuki, the newer Kawasaki will be a revelation.

A buddy of mine was arguing with me about this, and I flatly asked, "what else would you EVER buy that depreciates as quickly as a new car?"

it's just simple economics. The exception would be if there's a ridiculous warranty on the new vehicle, but bikes typically don't get ridden enough for that to really be a good deal.

Well, I am kinda looking at the bike I have ALWAYS wanted

http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Model/20441/RSV+1000+R/Overview.aspx

Just hesitant because it is a V-Twin

I just traded my '08 Tuono in. The reason I did was I want something for long distance comfort and something my wife would be comfortable being on the back of.

With that being said... If you own a V-Twin Rotax powered Aprilia you will not want to go back to an in-line. I loved the characteristics of that engine. It made it so fun to ride. Torque down low still with a decent redline.

Coming from an F2 you might appreciate a Kawasaki N1K, a good engine with similar power to a "V", not the same, but similar.

Easy to ride, and not to bad on comfort either.

Keeping the CBR, you might even want to consider a "naked bike", Tuono, Z1000, Street/Speed Triple, Super Duke (awesome bike by the way)etc., and obviously being a Honda fan, the CB1000R would certainly be a great choice.

Of course just my opinion, best of luck with your search.