OSU vs MSU - First time in the shoe, need tips

pittsm

My wife just called me and said her dad got us a couple of tickets to the game that somebody couldn't use.

I've been an avid fan for awhile but have never attended a game. I'm looking for all you guys who go to games regularly to give me some veteran tips.

I'm coming from the south. Best way to avoid traffic? Where to park? What time to arrive? What to expect in general i suppose and anything that will make the event go smoother.

thanks in advance!

get in the shoe area around an hour to hour and a half before game.

watch pre-game, do not miss the band's ramp entrance. gives me goosebumps everytime.

really no way to avoid traffic on gameday. i lived on campus throughout that time so can't say for sure. i remember my folks came a few times and they parked in cannon garage by the med center and walked, or there is also shuttles available from west campus.

if it's a noon game, get there around 8ish and there might be some garage spots.

thanks, game is at 3:30. i think parking is my biggest concern. i'm not familiar with that area at all. are there at least signs pointing you in the right direction? i'd hate to get ticketed or towed. what time does the pregame start and what is that? just the team warming up and what not?

Best place to park is on a side street off High street up North of Lane. If you walk the mile or two to the stadium youll get out ALOT faster. I usually park off Hudson or one of those streets. Get there EARLY! There is a ton of stuff always going on and you wont get bored if you get there 2 or 3 hours before game time.

- You can park in one of the West Campus lots and take a free shuttle bus over to the stadium. Might even get driven by just2slow or gen3...

- As stated earlier, do not miss the ramp entrance of TBDBITL.

- Wear scarlet and gray (duh)

- If you arrive early enough, check out the band's skull session (warm up, run through halftime show, play the usual favorites). Used to be in St. John, but I think it may have moved? 10,000+ is normal attendance.

- If you're there early enough and/or like crowd/mob scenes, wander Lane Avenue, attempt to get in the Varsity Club, visit Hiney Gate (it has a new name now, but it's in front of the former Holiday Inn) - large outdoor drunk fest, co-eds' tops seem to defy gravity and move upward at some point during the festivities... :D

Edited by jblosser
added hiney gate

Dont park illegally or your car will be overturned and burned. Dont sit or lay on any couches if OSU looses because they will be overturned and burned. Dont stop close to any trash cans or dumpsters if MSU wins because they will be overturned and burned. Dont stick around till the riot police show up or you will be cuffed overturned and burned.

• Upvote 3

I would get there 3-4 hours before kickoff and park in the grass lots behind the fawcett center on Olentangy river rd. Walk down Lane Ave and check everything out there. Grab a beer or two at Riverwatch or Varsity Club. Head over to skull session if interested in the band. It starts 2 hours before kickoff but get there earlier than that to get a decent seat. You definitely want to be in the stadium before the band comes in. I think they come in 20 minutes before kickoff. I like to watch the team warmup so I'm usually in about 45-60 minutes before kickoff.

I'd invite you to our tailgate but I have to do some work on saturday so won't be getting down there until around noon so we are doing the lane ave thing. Trust me you can't get there too early. We are usually there around 6am and we are not alone :)

Dont park illegally or your car will be overturned and burned. Dont sit or lay on any couches if OSU looses because they will be overturned and burned. Dont stop close to any trash cans or dumpsters if MSU wins because they will be overturned and burned. Dont stick around till the riot police show up or you will be cuffed overturned and burned.

Tough room! :bow:

I usually get there about two and a half hours early that leaves you an hour to park and walk and time to get to your seats and see the band. Remember its always better to be early than late. Coming from the south I would come up 71 to 315 then get off at akerman its a little father walk but you avoid all tragic on the way in and most of it on the way out. If you guys ride bicycles I suggest taking them, there is bike parking being the stadium its way better than walking

I won't be driving the west campus shuttle but I am picking up the team after the game. I will be parked on the south east corner of the stadium. I live just north of campus and there is usually free parking on the side streets if you get there early enough. You can get off at 71 and Hudson. Left on summit, go south, turn right on Maynard and then left or right on indianola. Indianola just got repaved and most people don't know you can park on it. Any of the side streets in that area are a good choice as well. Do not walk around with an open container they will ticket for it.

haha....i just spit out my coffee. lol

thanks for all the replies guys, i'm pumped and can't wait.

Just get there early. Read the signs when you park, the whole campus area is well marked. I also like parking north of Lane, it has the best traffic flow after the game.

Just make sure to check you're not in front of a driveway or marked no parking spot and you'll be good to go.

Another thing bring money. Not sure what parking cost near the stadium maybe some one else can ring in on that as I have a parking pass. Also food is very expensive I suggest stopping off for food before you get there. do not bring any pop or bottles to the stadium they will check at the gate and make you throw them away. They do not serve alcohol on the stadium either if you want a drink the river watch tower is close to the stadium

6timbb.jpg