Sponsorship question for the racers

candybluzx6

LOL good luck charging on stuff...have you even raced yet? I would worry about getting results first before asking for money for your bike....main thing is going to be what you can do for the company to make them sponsoring you worth their money.

Unless your on the podium consistently, what ROI is the sponsoring company going to get from you? Look at the contigencies offered from different companies with different race orgs if you are serious. Even then, you have to be pretty much on the podium to get anything at all.

You wont be charging, they'll tell you what you'll get. Take it or leave it till you've made yourself a household name. Starting out it will be parts discounts and contingency money. Free tires if you are very lucky.

You will not get free tires, hell not even people at the pro level get that. You can get contingency money to purchase tires with, but you will have to finish on the box consistently for that.

don't 100% piss on the guy's cheerios...

How many people in this thread have actually approached a company about being sponsored?

I'm betting it's zero, and you're all just assuming it won't happen.

Yes, most "sponsorship" at the club level happens on a contingency basis (i.e. you use Michelin tires, put their sticker on your bike, and they send you a debit card for more Michelin product if you place high enough). Nearly every parts manufacturer has a contingency program. Those are the standard sponsors that everyone has on their bike (unless they're like me and pretty much plan on not finishing high enough for it to matter).

But less traditional sponsorship opportunities are out there. I probably won't be racing next year, but when I make it back to the track, I plan on approaching the local automotive accessories place. They do a lot of window tinting and other low-level customization. I don't know if they have any interest in doing motorcycle paint, but if they do, I think I can make them a compelling pitch.

- they professionally paint my bike in any color scheme they want (that does not interfere with the number plate regulations, or contingency-based sponsors).

- my bike is on display in their shop, or out in front of their shop to draw people in during the week, and on non-race weekends.

- they buy me x sets of tires, or contribute $x toward entry fees.

In return, I hang their banner in my pit setup, distribute their business cards, and participate in x rounds a year, at an agreed-upon list of tracks.

In their case, a local business doesn't care about gaining exposure at BeaveRun, Mid-Ohio, Putnam, Grattan, etc. Frankly, the hardest part of the pitch is going to be convincing them that Nelson Ledges is close enough for it to be worth their money.

If that's the case, then maybe I can still get a free paint-job and a few bucks out of it, and they get to use my bike as a show-piece to draw people into their storefront.

The bottom line is not to go in ASKING people for sponsorship money, go in SELLING what you can provide them with for $X or discounted service.

How many people in this thread have actually approached a company about being sponsored?

Yes, most "sponsorship" at the club level happens on a contingency basis (i.e. you use Michelin tires, put their sticker on your bike, and they send you a debit card for more Michelin product if you place high enough). Nearly every parts manufacturer has a contingency program. Those are the standard sponsors that everyone has on their bike (unless they're like me and pretty much plan on not finishing high enough for it to matter).

But less traditional sponsorship opportunities are out there. I probably won't be racing next year, but when I make it back to the track, I plan on approaching the local automotive accessories place. They do a lot of window tinting and other low-level customization. I don't know if they have any interest in doing motorcycle paint, but if they do, I think I can make them a compelling pitch.

- they professionally paint my bike in any color scheme they want (that does not interfere with the number plate regulations, or contingency-based sponsors).

- my bike is on display in their shop, or out in front of their shop to draw people in during the week, and on non-race weekends.

In return, I hang their banner in my pit setup, distribute their business cards, and participate in x rounds a year, at an agreed-upon list of tracks.

In their case, a local business doesn't care about gaining exposure at BeaveRun, Mid-Ohio, Putnam, Grattan, etc. Frankly, the hardest part of the pitch is going to be convincing them that Nelson Ledges is close enough for it to be worth their money.

If that's the case, then maybe I can still get a free paint-job and a few bucks out of it, and they get to use my bike as a show-piece to draw people into their storefront.

The bottom line is not to go in ASKING people for sponsorship money, go in SELLING what you can provide them with for $X or discounted service.

You may wanna check our Apch8R's sig... he already has some...... Just saying.

But yes, I agree you will be selling yourself and ability etc. not asking for what they can give you.

My car before I sold it was sponsored by several Cougar specific dealers when they were around and I was showing all the time. Just had to win shows to keep them happy and get their name out. And no I did not have any decals etc. it was only on the entry and the display plate.

The Witchkraft racing crew is a great example of a club level race team that has done a good job of marketing theirselves and letting their results speak for them as they have moved up through the ranks. They have a good standing with a lot of high level sponsorships.

Like others have say you aren't going to get money, at most you are going to be lucky to get discount on parts from majority of the companies in the industry. In return you will have to push their product and help promote it to your various population that you will be present with. The better you can sell the benefits of the situation to them the better off you will be.

Edited by APCh8r

the only time i was "sponsored" was when I did my Nationwide Children's Hospital kids bike.

I didn't even race but they liked my presentation enough to be on board. Granted I didn't get stuff free, but it was a steep discount on some things.

This year though HookIt is a huuuuuuge step in the right direction. So many opportunities there for sponsorship. Don't expect anything free or massive discounts off the bat, but continue with the same company (ie GoPro) and your discounts will grow.

For real sponsorship though, get a year under your belt and develop some results. Results aren't the only thing though, results don't get their company noticed (persay) be prepared to explain what YOU can do for THEM other than ride a bike in a circle. Don't be afraid to start the HookIt deal now - even trackday riders have the opportunity for some discounts.

My sponsors below are a result of knowing people and representing their product (35Motorsports, GPtech) and HookIt. The RetroFit source was a neighbor of mine in college and gave me a free HID install on my streetbike as long as I rock their stickers on the streetbike as well as "nascar style" headlights on the track bike.

Edited by natedogg624

You may wanna check our Apch8R's sig... he already has some...... Just saying.

If they're paying him, or providing free/discounted services, I'm impressed.

I assumed that 614 Paintworx and 35 Motorsports are just vendors he feels good promoting. Just like ORDN doesn't give me any money, but I will put the sticker on my bike IF BEN EVER RETURNS MY GODDAMN SASE :p

If they're paying him, or providing free/discounted services, I'm impressed.

I assumed that 614 Paintworx and 35 Motorsports are just vendors he feels good promoting. Just like ORDN doesn't give me any money, but I will put the sticker on my bike IF BEN EVER RETURNS MY GODDAMN SASE :p

Carie probably veto that decision since you have the browns paint scheme and they are steelers fan:D

In regards to people getting paid....the only person getting paid around here for stuff is Healea by KTM...thats b/c it is his job:bow:

As far as the companies I have listed, I am happy with the agreements I have with them and will leave it at that.

Thanks for all the input guys. The main reson for asking is I have friends that owne there own shops that would do it just didnt realy know how to go about it. They cant give parts since one is a game store and one is a exhaust shop. And I dont plane on get getting big sponsors for awhile if at all just alittle somthin to help and agian thank you all

OK... As usual, a lot of mis-information getting out. Many people have got money as sponsorship. We did when racing with Kawasaki and even up until I stopped racing full time. The point is that it was there and still is.

Now, that being said, it was a LOT different then than now. Money is tight. Budgets are tight. Race budgets are part of marketing and marketing is tight.

Point is that money is tough to almost impossible. BUT, there are ways to get "money" or get "paid" in today's racing. If you have buddies, that isn't getting sponsored. They are not approached, given a resume of accomplishments and deciding that you are worthy of cash. That's luck and purely a friendly investment.

What you can do is approach sponsors to pay for tires, entry fees, travel costs, mechanical parts, etc. Paying for those is like getting a wad of cash to help offset costs.

We still get a number of free stuff. It's usually product and it is usually in testing some things, proposals to promote and sell the product, etc. As mentioned before, it is a ROI that is looked at and trust me, there's a lot of freebies floating around. However, the ROI has to be high.

The thing to remember, is that you need to market yourself. Marketing yourself can result in a big return if done well. However, if you only saw the resumes I get for race support... Wow.

The thing is that this sport is uber expensive. So much so, most racers do not last as long as in years past. Racers that ran years and making 6 figures racing as privateers and chasing contingency are LOOOOOOONG gone. Ask Reuben about the good ol' days. Robbie Jensen, Tray Batey, Reuben, etc were bounty hunters that could make STOOOPID cash at races if they won or did well. Think about now. You are lucky to get $1k a race weekend. They used to make 10 times that in some cases...

But, you also have to be good. Young pups like Jake Lewis, Gerloff, etc are the sticks by which you'd be measured. Good luck with that. Hell, even in the AMA, there are single digit number of racers that get PAID to race in the series. Most are actually PAYING to ride on teams. It's crazy right now...

But, at the end of the day, the best bet for you since you are a novice and (don't take this wrong) most likely not going to be the next Ben Spies, sign up for XTRM or similar and get deals from sponsors. Usually, you get a % discount on parts. The more you buy and the more you communicate and the MORE YOU SUCCEED, the more you will get.

Again, I wish you the best. It's a tough racket, but it is possible to get free stuff and money.

Mostly great info in here and a great example of how to approach things. Getting things paid for is a HIGE step. You then establish a ROI and it can grow. I've seen as of recent, guys getting enough things paid for that they barely have any out of pocket...

The last sentence says it all. Good job, Red!