1968 Oldsmobile 442

magley64

I thought 442 stood for 4 barrel 4 speed 2 exhaust?
400 Cu in, 4 barrel, dual exhaust.

Both of you are correct.

In 1964 (first year for the 442 option package), "442" stood for 4bbl, 4 speed, dual exhaust. The car had a 330 cubic inch engine.

In 1965, "442" stood for 400 cu. in. engine, 4bbl, and duals.

The 400 cu. in. engine stayed on through 1969, when it was joined by an optional 350 cubic inch engine (the "W-31" option).

In 1970 the 455 cu. in. engine became standard, with the 350 still an option in either the W-31 or Rallye packages.

From 1968 - 71, the 442 was a separate model instead of an option package. It became an option again in 1972.

More information than anyone wanted, but thought I'd help out.

Many thanks to my bud Steve Hunkins, Past President, Central Ohio Chapter of the Olds Club of America, and owner/restorer of many fine Oldsmobiles and other GM muscle cars.

*** free bump ***

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

What does 442 mean?

"This is a very common question that most people don't know the answer to. It all started in 1964. To compete with Pontiac's GTO, Oldsmobile launched their own high performance option on the intermediate-size F85's and Cutlasses. It stood for four-barrel carburetor, four-speed transmission, and dual exhaust.........In 1990, it stood for 4 cylinders, 4 valves and 2 camshafts."

http://home.comcast.net/~1972olds442/what_does_442_mean.htm

Doesn't matter what it means anymore, unless you're planning on buying it to restore it to factory (would be a LOT of work to do that)...

So far as I understand it, blosser hit the nail on the head, the company made it mean different things as it suited them. MOST people I've talked to from that era seem to believe (incorrectly) that the "four fourty two" was an engine.

in fact, the "four four two" was an option, then it was a model designation.

Up to the buyer, but I'd suggest buying a hydraulic clutch kit, a pressure plate and a clutch plate, drop in the Muncie that comes with it, and have fun with an old runner with a lot of character.

take it to cruise-ins or just putts around town scaring small children....

dammitall, got me to looking and found one in upstate NY that I want. i h8 the intarwebz.

it's only money, right?

anyone have a car trailer in case i go stupid and decide to venture up/over there? :lol:

only semi-joking, I hope.