Scorpion vs. Shoei

C-bus

You should be able to find the shoei solids for right around 310.00. Call riders discount. Thats what i paid for mine. I've looked at scorpions as a possible track helmet since they are on closeout at STG but i didn't like how cheap the vents look and feel. The quality of a shoei and arai seems much better to me.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only tried the Qwest' date=' so I can't speak for the RF1100. The Qwest was unbearably loud compared to my previous EXO700. I think it had to do with my head shape, because there are tons of reviews that rave about the comfort/quiet of the Qwest. I didn't even get down the street and I hated it. Well, I loved the weight, the shield and the comfort.. but the noise was insane. I sent it back and bought another Scorpion.[/quote']

Good info. I guess that's what's spinning around in my head... am I caught up in "expensive=better"? I'm satisfied with the Scorpion, but am willing to pay more if it is truly better. I do like the idea of that Star shield. Does anyone else make one?

You should be able to find the shoei solids for right around 310.00. Call riders discount. Thats what i paid for mine. I've looked at scorpions as a possible track helmet since they are on closeout at STG but i didn't like how cheap the vents look and feel. The quality of a shoei and arai seems much better to me.

I think I will call riders discount before pulling the trigger. And I agree that the vents are cheap.

I went from a scorpion exo-700 to a Shoei, best choice I have ever made. Comfy, much lighter, more air, holds up better. I bought mine shortly after Bkizz had shown me his Shoei...nuff said.

Which Shoei did you go with?

Guess I'm in the minority here. Picked up a used EXO700, AND a Shoei RF900 from Dubguya few months ago. Both size large. Had been using an EXO400 for years, and was looking forward to "stepping up" to a Shoei for what I assumed would be a quieter helmet, better air flow, comfort, etc. As with my older 400, I can't tell a difference when the vents are open or closed, on either the exo700 or the rf900. The Shoei does not seem quieter. If anything it may actually be noisier. The shield on the rf900 doesn't fit as tight as the exo700. The 700 shield just feels more solid. The Shoei fogs up MISERABLY. No fog on the 700. And finally, and this may just be specific to my head, but the exo700 just seems to fit better than the RF900. (although the liner in the 900 is dry rotting, so I'm sure that's not helping.

Enough about weight, air flow and comfort...I hit a TREE head first while wearing my Shoei RF1000 and it saved my life. Didn't crack, just caved in and the inside is still perfect. There's my reccomendation.

Enough about weight, air flow and comfort...I hit a TREE head first while wearing my Shoei RF1000 and it saved my life. Didn't crack, just caved in and the inside is still perfect. There's my reccomendation.

+1

What better recommendation can there be?

I have highsided at 80mph and landed head first from about 6-8 feet I'm the air (someone got video otherwise I wouldn't remember shit about it). I had a exo-700 on and it never cracked or anything. It did its job and its in my closet as a reminder of what can happen without a helmet. Point being, most helmets do their job as designed its all going to come down to what comfort level you want.

I have highsided at 80mph and landed head first from about 6-8 feet I'm the air (someone got video otherwise I wouldn't remember shit about it). I had a exo-700 on and it never cracked or anything. It did its job and its in my closet as a reminder of what can happen without a helmet. Point being, most helmets do their job as designed its all going to come down to what comfort level you want.

And if you were wearing a shoei you'd probably remember all of it.... not all helmets are created equal

I really liked the feel of the new HJC RPS-10. Dubguy has one and I couldn't try his on because of my big ass noggin so I tried one on at the pony.

Instantly jizzed.

andysambergjizz.jpg

+ 1... I actually have 2 of them now.. I have owned Suomy Vandals, Suomy Extreme specs, shoei x11, bell star, etc etc... My HJC rps-10 is my favorite helmet so far... I can get them for around 260 if you want one.. But try them all on.. Everyone's head is shaped very different... the shoei rf and shoei x11 are two totally different helmets.. You cant compare the 2...

You guys are killing me. More money doesn't mean better protection. If you buy a $20 helmet the yes more money does mean better protection. The scorpion meets the same safety specs as a shoei, your paying for comfort. If you want a really good answer if any helmets will crash better hit up Brian Van from stg, I think he has tried them all out.

Also, its not that I didn't remember what happened but I didn't remember how high I was or what landed first.

I love my exo-700s that I have and the bell vortex is nicer. They have them on discount for $100 through STG. The Shoie's are nice but I can't see spending the extra. My Arai went to shit way quicker than any of my scorpions.

I like the Vortex for the price, and that deal through STG is awesome, but I like the Scorpions better. Just better for my head shape.

But overall, I agree with the "BMW vs. Toyota" analogy.

a well made $100 helmet will protect you just as well as a $400 helmet; the $400 helmet is just going to be lighter, and higher-feature.

Craig and I wear our helmets for 20-40 minutes at a time in most cases, and we're pretty preoccupied with riding during those stints. I believe we also both wear ear-plugs, so wind noise is a non-issue.

So, oddly enough, a more expensive helmet is probably more necessary for street riding and distance touring than it is for the track (where my thrice-worn Vortex became a paperweight very quickly).

The fact that your Shoei performed is great, but that doesn't mean that a less expensive lid wouldn't have provided just as much protection.

I had a Z1R helmet a few years ago it was horrible loud, ventilation was horrible and going do freeway my head was constantly bounced around. I bought a scorpion exo 400 to replace it and it was way better I could feel the air flowing through the top vents and no more of my head bouncing around, no fogging, but the shield didn't seal tight and would let water in if it rained I thought the helmet was great I still have it. I then bought a shark s900 and quickly realized the scorpion was very heavy. The shark doesn't fog, flows a ton more air, is quieter than the scorpion, and the shield seals tight.

• 3 weeks later...
:popcorn: I have the Exo 1100 on my radar as a replacement for my beginner HJC. Maybe one day I'll pull the trigger on a Shoei or Arai but for now I'd rather buy up the ladder & form my opinion than even spend say $60 more on a "top name" & find out later the less expensive helmet suits my preferences better.