Scorpion vs. Shoei

C-bus

I've been pleased with the two Exo 700s that I have now. For the money, they're great helmets. Now that I've dropped each of them several times (I believe the vent on top is made of rice paper), it's time to start considering a new lid. My question.... is the Shoei rf1100 really worth $250 more than the Scorpion? I can get a solid colored exo700 for $139, but can't find a Shoei for less than $396. Can someone make the case for the Shoei? I did try one on and the Shoei was pretty comfy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's like comparing a Ferrari to a Yugo

I was thinking more like a BMW to a Toyota. Both are DOT/SNELL, so they are essentially on an equal playing field with regards to protection. At that point, it boils down to comfort, noise, weight, etc... Unless I'm giving the Scorpion too much credit which is entirely possible.

I've been pleased with the two Exo 700s that I have now. For the money, they're great helmets. Now that I've dropped each of them several times (I believe the vent on top is made of rice paper), it's time to start considering a new lid. My question.... is the Shoei rf1100 really worth $250 more than the Scorpion? I can get a solid colored exo700 for $139, but can't find a Shoei for less than $396. Can someone make the case for the Shoei? I did try one on and the Shoei was pretty comfy.

Check Comp A Closeouts -

http://www.compacc.com/Shoei-RF-1000

http://www.compacc.com/p/Shoei-X-ELEVEN-X-11-Solid-Helmets-Closeout

Quest

http://www.compacc.com/p/Shoei-Quest-Helmets-Solid-Colors-New-for-2011

helmets page

http://www.compacc.com/Helmets

I have a RF-1000, its a fine helmet.

Edited by mello dude

My buddy has rf1100 he said it flows a ton of air so you get a bit of wind noise. I believe the the shoei qwest is supposed to flow a lot of air but be a bit quieter.

Good info. Looks like they're about $70 less than the rf1100.

i went from an exo-400 to a rf-1000 that I paid $300 with an extra smoke shield. Since switching to the Shoei, I've only worn the Scorpion twice and hated it...justifying the extra coin for my Shoei.

Ordered mine from 2 Wheel Toyz on ebay

My buddy has rf1100 he said it flows a ton of air so you get a bit of wind noise. I believe the the shoei qwest is supposed to flow a lot of air but be a bit quieter.

I think Pauly tried the Qwest and said it wasn't nearly as quiet as advertised. My RF-1000 is a bit louder than I thought it would be but I think its also due to the windscreen on the VFR and the more upright seating position. I rode the 636 a few times with it and it was a lot quieter on it

Scorpion helmets are heavy

The thing I noticed most trying on the rf1100 was it just feels so comfy and if you close the visor the store noise gets quieter. My next helmet is either rf1100 or new Bell Star although both are heavier than my shark helmet.

I love my Shoei!! The noise reduction alone is worth the money but as far as comfort, air flow and weight i dont think you really can compare a Shoei to anything else. I think mine was worth the extra coin! When opening the top and back vents i can actually part my hair from the air flow and still have no wind noise.

I've heard good things about the new Bell Stars I want to try one on and see how it feels compared to rf1100 all the bell's I've tried before never felt right but I like the new transition shield bell has

I didn't know that shield existed. That is one of my hangups. I have four scorpion shields. But if I can get one shield that does it all....... hmmmmmmm. Are you seeing good reviews of the Star? Of course at $500+, you're in Arai territory.

This ..in part...boils down to your head shape...but...

I have a Shoei RF-1000 and it's the best helmet I've ever worn. I'm in the market for a new helmet soon, and I will most likely get another Shoei. Air flow...comfort...I love it (except for the fogging).