Electric Vest

Howabusa

Anybody use or have used an electric vest, when riding? I'm wondering how much I could extent my riding season with one. Aerostitch has 1 that would cost $200 with shipping. It is a heated vest, no sleeves. :confused:

I've got Warm n Safe Jacket liner, Gerbings heated gloves and a dual HeatTroller. Even in 37° weather I don't need the jacket liner - a good windproof/waterproof jacket with thermal liner and a sweatshirt is enough unless it's a long ride. You can always leave it off and it connects to the gloves, too so you don't have to run lines out to the hands. The hands are key, though. You'll want heat at 55°.

2¢ proffered.;)

I have the Tourmaster Synergy heated vest with collar. Works awesome. I have had it for around 4 years now and it really does extend the riding season. Also helps for those spring or fall days when you don't want a full liner, but need something to help the chill.

I like the Tourmaster as it comes with a controller, is built really well, puts out some serious heat and was only $125 (I bought it the week they came out). I use it only on low and cycle it, as it get too warm. The only time I used hot was coming back from Georgia at the end of march. I reached Ohio at midnight. Once I hit Columbus it was 25F outside.

I have a few friends with the Gerbing stuff. It's great, but expensive. I have never seen anyone with the Aerostich stuff, but here it's good. I just didn't want to spend that type of coin.

I would recommend, if you get a vest, get one with a collar. Also, some people like the full sleeve liner, to keep their arms warm. My jacket does a fine job, so it's not a worry for me.

As long as your heart is pumping warm blood, you're good to go.

I'm thinking about heated grips, and would like to have something for my feet. Other than that, my only issue is the little bit of air coming through the zipper of my jacket is enough to be a slight issue. We'll see how it works out when it really gets cold! I plan to stop riding as much when the salt flies.

Amazon.com: Alpinestars Winter Touring Balaclava , Color: Black, Size: OSFM 47580910: Automotive

This is the single best piece of gear i ever bought... I rode from indianapolis to akron last thanksgiving in temps that dipped down into the teens. No heated gear. Couldn't have done it without this.

I have a balaclava & a neck gaiter. They make a big difference.

I've had others before that one, The alpinestars one is ridiculously warm, and puts every other one to shame. Its got one fleece layer that goes under the jacket, and another layer that goes over the jacket collar that is rain and wind proof, with a draw string to pull it air tight. Well worth the money. I can't recommend it enough.

When it gets below zero i tuck a carhart neck gaiter between the layers of the balaclava for added warmth. Keeping your head and neck warm is key to staying warm when its that cold out. This year i'll probably break down and get some electric gear, but i'm not sure if my charging system can handle it. I've made it 3 full winters without electrics, but at about 15 degrees or below i can only ride for about a half hour before i can't go any further.

Edited by mgbgt89