Verizon or AT&T

Monstrosity

I'm kinda at a rock and a hard place. I like Verizon and have had them for years but I'm offered an 8% discount through AT&T and if I bundled my other services I'd save more money...

So my question is who has AT&T and are you happy with them? I work in Tallmadge and live in Kent. I cant use my phone at work but I know AT&T users can (tower 400 yards from our building).

Personally, I hate AT&T. I live in the Westerville/Lewis Center area and I constantly drop calls or when I try to dial out, it says, "Call failed." I can't speak for your area but I'm assuming Verizon would be the better option. The 8% discount wouldn't be enough for me to switch....you get what you pay for. I get a 20% discount and I'd rather pay more money for service that actually works.

Personally, I hate AT&T. I live in the Westerville/Lewis Center area and I constantly drop calls or when I try to dial out, it says, "Call failed." I can't speak for your area but I'm assuming Verizon would be the better option. The 8% discount wouldn't be enough for me to switch....you get what you pay for. I get a 20% discount and I'd rather pay more money for service that actually works.

I had the same problem with Verizon. One of the reasons I switched.

^^ No kidding? I've talked with several people that have Verizon and they never have a problem with their service. The only complaints I've ever heard about against Verizon is their customer service. I just haven't jumped ship yet since Apple didn't come out with a totally redesigned iPhone. Plus, I barely ever actually talk on the phone....almost all of my communication is via text.

^^ No kidding? I've talked with several people that have Verizon and they never have a problem with their service. The only complaints I've ever heard about against Verizon is their customer service. I just haven't jumped ship yet since Apple didn't come out with a totally redesigned iPhone. Plus, I barely ever actually talk on the phone....almost all of my communication is via text.

When we first switched, I was so worried about dropped calls because that's all everyone ever talks about. Honestly, I notice no more or less drop calls on AT&T than I did on Verizon. The only thing that makes me sometimes miss Verizon is you can get 1 bar of signal on Verizon in Hocking Hills. AT&T, nada. However, if this T-Mobile deal goes through, we'll have stellar signal throughout down there, much better than Verizon. It'll also all but eliminate drop calls with the additional bandwidth.

Hears some food for thought

The towers in Indiana send out Verizon signals on the same frequency as the towers in Ohio send out AT&T

I have had AT&T for over 3 years and I love it have never really lost service except in areas it normally happens (valleys, basements ect) I have a friend that works for Alltell (I think that's what its called or something close) he gets contracted out to install AT&T, Verizon and other phone company's Tower Cells.

But as someone said if you have unlimited data on Verizon and you plan to browse a decent amount stay there I had unlimited with AT&T but dropped my iPhone in water didnt have the money to buy another one so had to down grade and lost the unlimited :(

I had AT&T then switched to Verizon. I hated AT&T because I worked in downtown Columbus and dropped every call at the intersection of Spring n High. The nail in the coffin was going to Old Man's cave and having everyone in my family have service except me.

I had AT&T then switched to Verizon. I hated AT&T because I worked in downtown Columbus and dropped every call at the intersection of Spring n High. The nail in the coffin was going to Old Man's cave and having everyone in my family have service except me.

Really? I work downtown, and that's where I get the best signal on AT&T. :lol:

Speaking of, with Verizon I often lost signal in buildings downtown and in basements of buildings (where most datacenters happen to be :( ). Not so on AT&T. And Nextel was so bad, CSCC had to install repeaters on campus just so the employees could use their work phones. FYI.

Interesting since I also live in that area and have never had an issue with AT&T :confused:

A lot of the signal and drop call issues are the phone sometimes. I've had ATT, Cingular, sprint, Sprint/Nextel, and Verizon so far I've had the best signal, internet speed, and customer service from Verizon, although ATT didn't set the bar very high for Verizon to make happy. I had ATT drop me I kept calling and complaining about dropped calls to the same lady almost everyday for 2 months, and she canceled my service and contract with no warning! I'm bot even sure I could get ATT service now lol. I have 1.5 years on this contract, and I'm contemplating straight talk or something similar next.

I have AT&T and travel all over Ohio and Indiana. I can tell you exactly where you'll lose service and where you'll have it. I've had AT&T since 1999 (became Cingular and then became AT&T again). It's gotten better over the years, but so has Verizon. One of the disadvantages to any digital phone system is you either have a signal or not, no weak signal - I have a feeling this is part of the reason why we drop calls. I know when AT&T first went digital, I'd always drop calls on 71 right around 161 - I think this is where the towers change.

I get great service anywhere in Columbus as long as I'm not in the bowels of a building. I get great service in the Toledo area, and all the way to Indianapolis. I don't have any signal at all around Willard (south of Sandusky), but this is an admitted dead zone for AT&T - although if I stay on the second floor of the hotel in a room that faces south, I get one or two bars. I've been to Cinci and Cleveland and have gotten good service there too.

There was a time when I was looking at Verizon, since a lot of the railroaders have Verizon. I went in and basically said "I'll switch, but you need to buy out my contract." About $100. They wouldn't deal - maybe that left a bad taste in my mouth?

AT&T has always taken care of me - we had an issue with a rebate we never got, which I kind of forgot about. Called them last week (we got out phones last December) and they gave me a credit on my account for the amount of the rebate, no questions asked.

Just my two cents, hope this helps? For what it's worth, I hate change when it comes to things like this, so I'll put up with some b.s. for a while instead of changing plans.

We have Verizon landline and wireless. On our trip out west, through Ia, Neb, SD, WY. Mont, Id, Ut, Co, Ka, Mo, Ind, Ill, never lost service until we got up in the higher elevations in the Rockies. No dropped calls. Used to have Nextel before moving here, but there is slim to no coverage down Circleville way with them so we switched. Been happy since.

I think a lot of has to do with the kind of phone u have because I've had 3 different phones with Verizon and the signal strength and stuff were diff on all of them. Had at&t and Sprint before, I thought sprint sucked and dropped all kinds of calls but at&t was good tho. I currently have Verizon and never really dropped many calls.

Really? I work downtown, and that's where I get the best signal on AT&T. :lol:

Speaking of, with Verizon I often lost signal in buildings downtown and in basements of buildings (where most datacenters happen to be :( ). Not so on AT&T. And Nextel was so bad, CSCC had to install repeaters on campus just so the employees could use their work phones. FYI.

I left that area in July '10, and i understand they put a tower up (somewhere) just before. Their reception may have changed since then. It always drove me nuts though!

Just another thought, 8% isn't that big of a discount, on a $200 bill it saves you a whole $16. ( I know, Hard math right there) Cell companies really don't want you to leave. If your happy with Verizon's service, call them and tell them you get a discount if you switch to AT&T, they will most likely give you a better discount.

I did something similar about a year ago. They gave me a great rate on full everything for 2 phones and hooked me up with 2 Droid 2's for 75 bucks each.

Just a thought.