CCW BUG(back up gun)

crb

I agree, but a person with little to no carry experience (me) is probably the most prone to make mistakes.

lord knows the news loves it when some idiot goes to show his barber his new carry weapon, and drops it, shooting the barber.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/10/06/337871/bad-sign-for-ohios-guns-in-bars-law-ohio-barber-shot-in-butt-after-customer-drops-gun/

I WILL NOT be "that guy." A careless CCW holder sets back the cause significantly. I think I'd probably carry with the firearm empty for several weeks before ever loading it. Maybe a lot longer.

Everyone has to go through their own process at their own pace to get comfortable around firearms just like they do when riding motorcycles. Please don't fall into wrong firearm information just like many do with wrong riding information. I do not believe that the gun in your article went off from striking the ground. It is close to impossible for that to happen. It's kind of like people who won't use their front brakes.

I agree, but a person with little to no carry experience (me) is probably the most prone to make mistakes.

lord knows the news loves it when some idiot goes to show his barber his new carry weapon, and drops it, shooting the barber.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/10/06/337871/bad-sign-for-ohios-guns-in-bars-law-ohio-barber-shot-in-butt-after-customer-drops-gun/

I WILL NOT be "that guy." A careless CCW holder sets back the cause significantly. I think I'd probably carry with the firearm empty for several weeks before ever loading it. Maybe a lot longer.

Highly unlikely that this happened

I dropped mine the other day when getting into the car. Not because I was careless, (or maybe i was?) but because it's a loose fitting in my IWB. Cant remember exactly what I was doing, probably sinching my belt up and repositioning holster like I often do to keep it all tight. Gun fell out. I caught it w my foot to try and avoid a heavy impact, but still kinda nerve wracking none the less. Especially w no safety, no lock, one in the chamber, and an LCP that has a history for going off when dropped. Hope that recall really fixed the issue.

That said, I've never worried about it going off accidentally in the holster. How could it? Trigger is covered.

NoBama 2012

No worries I flat out droops mine on the kitchen floor and no bang. I was carrying a few boxes of ammo and a few other boxes of something. I laid it on top of the boxes and stepped on the dogs water dish and tripped. If slid off the box and landed with a thud.

Another good reason to carry a hammerless wheel gun. They don't fire when dropped and have a stiff enough trigger pull to prevent most accidental discharges.

my gun has a hammer and a decock lever...i can hit the decock lever and the hammer drops full strength and no bang.

thats what a firing pin block is for, no need for a hammerless gun (for safety reasons i mean, im sure some people prefer them for whatever other reason)

Everyone has to go through their own process at their own pace to get comfortable around firearms just like they do when riding motorcycles. Please don't fall into wrong firearm information just like many do with wrong riding information. I do not believe that the gun in your article went off from striking the ground. It is close to impossible for that to happen. It's kind of like people who won't use their front brakes.

That is always what I was taught, and what I believed. Perhaps I'm giving the news media too much credit for accurate reporting.

The details in that story do seem to add up though. The victim was sitting, and the bullet passed through his chair before hitting him. So the gun was clearly on or near the ground.

I have been in the room when my cousin dropped his glock 9mm. I don't know the exact model, but his was his LEO issued weapon at the time. no discharge.

I firmly believe that a firearm discharging when dropped is highly unlikely, but if that article is correct, it's not impossible. Maybe something Myth Busters should test so people won't be so afraid of guns...

Edited by redkow97

That is always what I was taught, and what I believed. Perhaps I'm giving the news media too much credit for accurate reporting.

The details in that story do seem to add up though. The victim was sitting, and the bullet passed through his chair before hitting him. So the gun was clearly on or near the ground.

guns have fired from falling and hitting the ground.

its not impossible, just not likely...especially with modern firearms