Veterans Day lesson

Al Z. Heimer

http://www.coalitionofindependentcitizens.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=429:the-jeopardy-question-no-one-could-answer&catid=78:opinion&Itemid=55 Here are some facts about the Tomb of the Unkown Soldier.Pretty amaizing individuals that choose/selected to perform this duty.Perhaps all the Vets on OR could share their story here.Mine will probably be a little differant than most because of my age.In my time the draft was in full swing and it was a pretty scary time really...That was the only lottery I ever won.My number was one and pretty much knew my fait...a couple months after turning 18 I would probably be in Viet Nam shooting at someone I did not know for a reason that no one could explain. Hell I could not even buy beer or vote.My brother fought in Korea and I beleive had memories of things that haunted him. War is bad he said...I know what he meant.Enlist for 4 years or get drafted for 2? I chose the Navy for 4 years and served my country well. I had good duty...Married my best friend at 18...42 years ago come this March. Sorry for the rant but somtimes I have to....Though I did serve. To this day I feel as though I crapped out by not taking the draft and probably going to Nam. Maybe I could saved another soldiers life. Happy Veterans Day to all the Vets.Thank a Vet... They will appreciate it.... And to those that gave all say a prayer for them.They can no longer enjoy the freedom that they fought for.....Hopefully they are at peace ....In God's Hands--------------------SALUTE

Lots of vets here my friend. And if you are a vet you gravitate to them hoping to stoke that fire of brotherhood we all miss every day. The twing of guilt you fell is shared by us all. Could I have made better decisions? Did I give all I could? Did someone fall because of me?

Though the doubt is there like a splinter in your mind the answer is that Yes, you did do all that you could, you gave all that you could. This I know but yet the thought frequently returns to be questioned. It is another price we pay and that I will gladly suffer knowing I made a difference and did my job.

Enjoy your day, enjoy your freedom and stand tall.

Semper Fi.