help? clutch engaging harshly, jerky from stop.

magley64

Hey guys,

my clutch is acting awfully strange. As I release to the friction point, it jerks and tugs unevenly... it has gotten gradually worse as time goes on.

I'm thinking the clutch plates are worn unevenly, causing the interfaces between plates to be uneven, and give it that "hit and miss" feeling as I'm rolling from a stop.

Anyone have any experience with this type of behavior that can confirm my diagnosis, or correct me?

just changed the oil with the same mobil 1 I've been running since 11,000 miles(when I got the bike back in '08)

How many miles on the bike' date=' Magz?[/quote']

About 12,500. :lol:

I was having some issues for a short while after I changed my oil last time. After riding for a while, it finally worked it's way out of it. I'm wondering if I had waited too long on the oil change.

As you suggested, my first guess would be a worn clutch. Given the symptoms, it could be as simple as new plates/discs, but depending on how much abuse it's seen, even a new basket and springs.

One thing you might check--and I only say this because SOME bikes are designed this way and I haven't a clue if your Blackbird is one of them--is the clutch actuating rod, which on many bikes runs thru the case on the sprocket side behind the chain cover. If this gets all goo'd up from the chain flinging spooge and grit, it can get sticky and not operate smoothly. As I stated, not a clue if yer bike has this design...but you might check the service manual before you spring for new parts.

Edited by Bubba

I'm thinking clutch pack too.......with the mileage and you saying the problem was gradually worsening, that would be my best guess.......if it's a hydro clutch, may want to flush / fill / bleed that system to ensure it's not a problem either.

Depends on your plans for the bike as to what clutch pack I'd install, but for street use I'd go OEM -- unsure as to Honda's OEM durability, but if you've got 50k out of the 1st one........I'd stick with what works!