CCW Issue

Jst2fst

Does it say concealed firearms specifically? If not, walk out with it in plain sight, then conceal it. Open carry is legal in Ohio.

Thats my thought.. Open carry is legal. Nothing they can do about it and if they try, sue their ass off and sit back and enjoy the extra income. What they are trying to do is no different they when employers originally said that employees could not have a firearm anywhere on the property including the parking lots. Well the courts told them to eff off because that effectively kept the individual from being able to protect themselves on their way to and from work. Now you can have it in your car in a lot, you just cant bring it into the structure.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

section ©(3) (b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after the effective date of this amendment enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant’s guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.

Sounds pretty promising to me.

That being said, I am not a lawyer, and only they can tell you exactly how the law applies in your situation.

Good find.. There you have it. Go about your day carrying and the first time they say something, print this out and give it to them and tell them if they hassle you again, you will call your lawyer and file a suit for prejudice behavior, unlawful eviction, etc, etc, or something of the likes.

Thats my thought.. Open carry is legal. Nothing they can do about it and if they try, sue their ass off and sit back and enjoy the extra income. What they are trying to do is no different they when employers originally said that employees could not have a firearm anywhere on the property including the parking lots. Well the courts told them to eff off because that effectively kept the individual from being able to protect themselves on their way to and from work. Now you can have it in your car in a lot, you just cant bring it into the structure.

Exactly, I used to do collections and repo's out of college, no carry in my office BUT always carried in my truck etc. I was originally told I could not leave it in my truck at work, I was like uh no, its MY truck. That was the end of that, they agreed.

But What Flouder said about hte open carry is exactly right. If it specifically says CONCEALED then screw them, open carry, like right accross the chest style. And yell out, Money Ain't a Thing.

• Upvote 1

That changed in many states, but I'm not aware it change in Ohio. Can you cite the relevant section of ORC? :confused:

Sounds like they are doing it to scare people to not do it to protect their residents, but like everyone has stated, it's concealed, no one knows unless you tell them. It's 10 ft, or whatever you mentioned! I'm glad you want to obey the rules, but your apartment complex has to obey the law too.

That changed in many states, but I'm not aware it change in Ohio. Can you cite the relevant section of ORC? :confused:

i heard it did change in ohio...there was a thread about it here...still interested to see the ORC though, we have signs up at our property at work saying we cant have them on premises, but i know of several people who have them in their cars

i heard it did change in ohio...there was a thread about it here...still interested to see the ORC though, we have signs up at our property at work saying we cant have them on premises, but i know of several people who have them in their cars

That was part of House Bill 571 but from searching ORC it doesn't appear that it passed.

Thanks for all the input guys as well with no carry zones aren't private businesses suppose to post up signage if they don't allow ccw because if so mine has none posted anywhere.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

section ©(3) (b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after the effective date of this amendment enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant’s guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.

Sounds pretty promising to me.

That being said, I am not a lawyer, and only they can tell you exactly how the law applies in your situation.

Thanks for the find man I owe you one. ;)

Print this off and tell them they are violating the law and your rights.

You have contacted NRA, BFA and they must comply or you will have your lease torn up.

I will if I need to I was just like I don't see how they can try and force that on any ccw holder that lives here.

I wouldn't print anything or say anything more about it to anyone by doing that your just going to draw unnecessary attention to yourself and cause them to watch your every move. The terms of the lease are illegal so if they ever tried to evict you then you just fight it but unless that happens concealed means concealed and leave it at that.

That's why I asked here first don't need any attention on me at home.

Not something I would waste thought cycles on. I certainly wouldn't kick up a stink lest you be evicted anyway (or get put on double-secret-probation where they will evict you for the slightest infraction of the lease, such as a noise complaint or parking with one tire on the line)

They could write "You must ride a bison down the corridor to and from your apartment every day" if they want, and you coudl sign it, but I seriously doubt a court would enforce it.

So comply with the orders that are lawful and reasonable (office, laundry room) but *MY OPINION* is that barring the corridors is overreaching, unreasonable and unenforceable.

That's what I'm doing for the time being and yes a bit over reaching.

Keep looking for a better apartment. When you find one, use the referenced above code to "break" the lease. Continue to carry as the law permits.

This is true as well.

Whoa Whoa. Let's back up a bit.

This is about carrying a weapon.

J2F doesn't carry a weapon. He carries a HiPoint.

Noboby would ever confuse the two as being the same. :cool:

Damn, you beat me to it. I just realized this, what are the chances of it actually firing anyway? :lol:

J/K and all...

Seriously. He should carry a Bersa. It fires all the damn time, whether you want to or not.*

* = Not actually true. Please don't sue me Bersa.

All bersa's come possessed with the trigger happy ghost of John Browning standard from the factory.

• Upvote 1

I thought it changed but maybe I was wrong. Either way, the below ORC basically says all they can give you is a civil trespassing citation since its a parking lot.

(3) (a) Except as provided in division ©(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

Also, you better be able to prove beyond a doubt that I "knowingly" violated the posted sign.

If the mag is loaded and the gun and mag are within reach then the gun is "loaded" WRT transport laws. Mag must be unloaded, technically.

Beat me to it

I had to go through this all week on my vacation. Was in NJ, NY, MD. None of which honor Ohio CCW. Had to unload each mag and store ammo separately

NoBama 2012

You need to buy a house, I hear there are plenty out there for real cheap!;)

There are some right in your area that would probably have a lower payment (at least not much more) than you have for rent right now! A co-worker lives in that neighborhood, and was telling about some of the deals.

true, but i dont think the XD will fire either if you cant get it out of the holster :confused:

My first time using that holster. I should have been perfect with it right off. :rolleyes:

I now have that holster for it, so I had better get it figured out ASAP! :lol:"

Whoa Whoa. Let's back up a bit.

This is about carrying a weapon.

J2F doesn't carry a weapon. He carries a HiPoint.

Noboby would ever confuse the two as being the same. :cool:

Hopefully next week I'll have my sub compact and the HiPoint for home defense

Damn, you beat me to it. I just realized this, what are the chances of it actually firing anyway? :lol:

J/K and all...

It works and then its got it wtf moments at the range

• Upvote 1