VM host going down on a Friday night sucks.....

Casper

Shouldn't HA or FT kick the vmachines over to another host? Throw that host in the dumpster, slap in your stand-by, vicfg-cfgbackup -l C:\<backup.txt> your saved config back into the new host, go home and sleep. lol

Binary logs not flushed to disk before the host kicks the bucket sucks worse.

Your saying something happened to the vCenter database?

Shouldn't HA or FT kick the vmachines over to another host? Throw that host in the dumpster, slap in your stand-by, vicfg-cfgbackup -l C:\<backup.txt> your saved config back into the new host, go home and sleep. lol

Your saying something happened to the vCenter database?

The VMs did come back up on another host, but there was a couple minutes of downtime and the servers reacted as if they'd lost power. With databases, the big problem is what's in cache and hasn't been written to disk yet. That data is lost. That normally isn't too big of an issue as you're talking milliseconds of data. However, I use MySQL master-slave replication. What was in the cache hadn't been written to the binary logs. This can be fixed by a simple reset master/reset slave, but this has to be done before it's brought back online. The HA failover automatically brought the VM and MySQL back online when it rolled it over to the other host. This essentially broke the replication, forcing me to have to start over and rebuild the slave and resync the replication. This isn't the vCenter database. This is our webapps database server.

I get that feeling too. But the alternatives don't give me warm fuzzies either... I'm not going to trust MS to do it. Virtualbox?
I'm just not a fan of the cloud or virtual database servers. I can see where there's huge advantages to VM, but as a whole for databases I'd much rather have a physical cluster.
Hey Casper, Do you know how you guys are configuring your vSwitches? I'm a bit confused on a topic..
I don't know much/anything about the backend of VM. I'm a database junky. Sorry dude.