Another .22LR semi-auto pistol opinion thread

scottb

Winter is approaching, so I am looking for a .22LR semi-auto pistol for use at the indoor range. My budget is about $350.

I am considering the Browning Buckmark Camper, the GSG-1911, and the ISSC Glocking looking pistol.

I have shot the Buckmark, so at least I know what to expect. I am interested in the style and price of the GSG-1911, but don't know anyone that has fired one. The ISSC pistol looks interesting too, but don't know where to get one.

If anyone has fired the GSG or the ISSC, let me know your thoughts.

Browning Buckmark:

Buck-Mark-Camper-MID-051379-m.jpg

GSG1911:

f1atgsg1911a.jpg

ISSC

M22.jpg

I have probably about 5000 rounds threw my ISSC. Doesn't like Federal or Winchester ammo very well. The good thing is that it absolutely loves the even cheaper Blazer ammo. Couple buddy have had the same experience. I had to barely sand down my Serpa holster for my Glock 23 and it fits wonderfully.

Have you seen the new S&W MP pistol??

If you liked the buckmark you will love the Ruger MK3. Everyone loves the ruger. So, my vote is for the Ruger MKIII One of the ones below unless you want to spend a bit more on one of the longer barrel models.

This one

10101.jpg

or this one

10103.jpg

Edited by flounder

I have probably about 5000 rounds threw my ISSC. Doesn't like Federal or Winchester ammo very well. The good thing is that it absolutely loves the even cheaper Blazer ammo. Couple buddy have had the same experience. I had to barely sand down my Serpa holster for my Glock 23 and it fits wonderfully.

Have you seen the new S&W MP pistol??

So I take it you like the ISSC? Does it have the Glock style U shape sights? I assume cleaning / take down just like a Glock?

ISSC's website is kinda lacking information.

Thanks Speedy!! I just watched a Youtube video, the GSG requires an allen wrench for take down and feild strip, probably not a deal breaker. It is a 1911 style, but has that dang grip safety. So, the ISSC is looking better, but have not held one. The Ruger MK3 looks neat, but well over $400

So you know the buck mark requires a allen key to remove the slide also. And i think the ruger mark 3 requires a small tool box or something. (just kidding) Have you looked at the sig or the p22 yet?

Edit pm sent to ya with what you need to go buy LOL!

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/76085

Edited by speedytriple

The Ruger (at least the Mark II) is a bitch to break down for cleaning.

Rock solid otherwise and a buddy and all his friends (mostly me) put thousands of rounds through it before it needed broke down to clean, but was a major undertaking. Something to consider.

So I take it you like the ISSC? Does it have the Glock style U shape sights? I assume cleaning / take down just like a Glock?

ISSC's website is kinda lacking information.

Kinda. You have to lift the back of the slide up instead of just letting it slide forward like on a glock. The barrel stays in place like on a walther (I think its the Walther) Clean the slide, barrel and trigger and your done.

The discussion at the shop last night was, we were all buying the .22 AR's which one would you get. I had to stay with the Colt, since it was a metal gun...

Everyone else said the S&W M&P since it was the most purchase and widely used...

I said that to say this... I do not trust any plastic/polymer mag that does not have a steel feed lip... Over time the bolt/slide will chew it up and ruin it resulting in more money spent on a new mag...

the GSG is nice, are the mags metal? does anyone know...

The buckmarks and rugers are solid platforms.

I myself would look at a conversion for my current 1911. Sure I would love to have one dedicated but the Chiappa plastic mags dont cut it for me.

I had some issues with my Ruger MIII 22/45 just after I purchased it last July. The loaded chamber indicator didn't work and it would drop mags out of the grip occasionally. I had watched some u-tube videos of the surgical procedure for cleaning it and I thought that the little nub behind the rear sight would take a beating if one was not extremely careful when cleaning it. Well it went back to the factory and when I got it back I got a note from the Ruger technician stating what he had replaced and that he gave it a good cleaning. Sure enough, the little nub took a beating. It is only cosmetic but still....

As far as shooting performance I love this gun. It seems very well balanced and I find the trigger pull to be smooth and predictable. The sights are very accurate out of the box although my old eyes can't see them all that well. My previous pistol was the 45 I carried as a Navy Corpsman back in.....well the ships had just converted to steam.

Two of my friends have shot it and were impressed enough that one has already purchased one and the other has it on his Christmas list.

Thanks Speedy!! I just watched a Youtube video, the GSG requires an allen wrench for take down and feild strip, probably not a deal breaker. It is a 1911 style, but has that dang grip safety. So, the ISSC is looking better, but have not held one. The Ruger MK3 looks neat, but well over $400

not for the blued target version: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/12754-55.html

A large proportion of people who shoot in the rimfire pistol club I have been to shoot the mkiii, very accurate pistols.

the GSG is nice, are the mags metal? does anyone know...

The buckmarks and rugers are solid platforms.

I myself would look at a conversion for my current 1911. Sure I would love to have one dedicated but the Chiappa plastic mags dont cut it for me.

I have a GSG 1911 as a suppressor host. Yes, the mags are metal (plastic baseplates). It runs pretty good, but it certainly doesn't have ruger like reliability (adding the can doesn't necessarily help either). It's overall a pretty decent piece, most 1911 parts fit. I swapped out the mainspring housing for a flat checkered Ed Brown deal with a magwell when I first got it. The major downsides are the slide is fairly soft metal and the finish on the slide is rather thing. I've been told the Sig branded ones have a better finish on them, otherwise they are identical.

For a target .22 you can't go wrong with the Ruger, Buckmark or S&W 22 A/S. The Beretta U22 and Walther SP series also look to be good, but I don't know enough about them to have an opinion.

I've had a Ruger and currently own a S&W 22S. Both are silly accurate. Ruger was slightly more solidly built and there is a ton of aftermarket support. I like the standard scope mount on the S&W. I have somewhere around 10-15k rounds through the S&W. It doesn't show any wear and it's still a tack driver.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqUuY9OHcDVNdp3EQ620Mdq3Gk2r2gvbba2nGIEs95yyMCvgAl

I've shot a few thousand rounds through my Ruger 22/45 this year and it has been great. Pain in the ass to strip down, but honestly you can just lube and go for thousands of rounds. Has been reliable with all the crappy ammo I can find, is very comfy to shoot, and I'd recommend one. They are way too expensive for what they are, the mags are expensive, and the bolt can bite you if you don't know what you're doing.

I love the river mark series, absolutely wonderful gun. I tried out one of those walther mosquitoes, it was junk. Using 3 different types of ammo (thunderbolt, golden bullet and federal copper plated HP) I had every type of failure that can happen; failure to feed, extract, eject, stovepipe, double-feed... It was acurate as Hell when it didn't jam tho.

I love the river mark series, absolutely wonderful gun. I tried out one of those walther mosquitoes, it was junk. Using 3 different types of ammo (thunderbolt, golden bullet and federal copper plated HP) I had every type of failure that can happen; failure to feed, extract, eject, stovepipe, double-feed... It was acurate as Hell when it didn't jam tho.

Is that so? Did your Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito breed to produce the Walther Mosquito?

Which one are you actually talking about or are you not sure? And WTH is a river mark series? I assume Ruger Mark is what you meant.

Edited by flounder