Top Tier Gas

imprez55

I have never heard of this until just recently. Apparently certain companies have better additives than others and therefore it is better for high end engines. All I have heard it referenced to is cars but motorcycle engines are quite demanding. With no references to it from motorcycle manufacturers, this whole thing does not seem very believable to me. Another problem is I have never seen the majority of these retailers in any of my NEO travels. What are your thoughts? Ever heard of it, only use it?

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline

There is was a good thread on this topic either in Triumphrat.net or Hyundai-forums.com. After reading that thread and some other research earlier this year, I only use Shell if at all possible. I also immediately stopped using BP.

I'm so not suprised BP isn't on there. They put shit additives that eat engines over time as told by my old man

That info may be dated. Not sure exactly what comes out of the pump now that the Amoco name is on there, but Amoco Ultimate used to be some of the best stuff you could buy. BP definitely seemed to have some issues about a decade ago.

That info may be dated. Not sure exactly what comes out of the pump now that the Amoco name is on there, but Amoco Ultimate used to be some of the best stuff you could buy. BP definitely seemed to have some issues about a decade ago.

I wouldn't doubt that, it was 10 years ago when I started driving and getting the "don't put BP gas in your car" rants from my Dad. I heard rumblings that they changed the additives of what they put in but its just always been ingrained to stay away from BP so its just habit now when possible

Now is about the time of year you start seeing commercials for all the "great" things companies add to their gas "to prevent fuel line freeze-up."

If memory serves, BP "with invigorate" was supposed to clean your fuel system as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that those things hurt performance and/or efficiency.

Now is about the time of year you start seeing commercials for all the "great" things companies add to their gas "to prevent fuel line freeze-up."

If memory serves, BP "with invigorate" was supposed to clean your fuel system as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that those things hurt performance and/or efficiency.

my Dad's beef was that he said over time their additives eat away at the injectors if I recall correctly. Again how true that was or is anymore, I have no clue

I was General Mgr of a large Truckstop back in the mid 80's on into the 90's. Dad had been on OTR driver for 30 some years prior to that so he was focused on quality of the d fuel we sold. At the time Amoco, the brand we sold, was the df with the lowest sulfa content. Much less detrimental for d engines. Plus their gas was top of the line, only rivaled by Sunoco and Shell. Things changed a whole lot in the next 20 years, Amoco is BP now and I have heard the same chorus about the quality of their gas. Things I remember is that Citgo is bad, Mobil is bad. Problem is that we now have so many convenience stores with no flag (product -gas brand- designation) that its near impossible to know what brand of gas they are selling. Plus a station 'supposedly' selling, say BP, might in reality be selling whatever because of trucking issues getting the name brand gas to the station. Retailers are more concerned with 'credit card's accepted' than the brand or quality of gas they are selling. To them as long as no one complains too loud about their gas, that's their bottomline because it meaqns those pumps will keep pumping their liquid gold.

They quit dumping as much water into the tanks...

Third-hand report, but supposedly some water would "occasionally" get dumped into the mix in a small percentage. Imagine 50 gallons of water mixed into a truck carrying 10,000 gallons of gasoline. Very small percentage but every gallon of water would be near 100% profit @ around $3 a gallon right now.

I used to use BP exclusively back in the 90s because they would send me trinkets every so often (coupons, nice coffee cups, etc). When they started phasing out some here (Dayton area), I switched to Marathon, though I don't really remember why. I went from a steady 25 mpg to 28 mpg with no other changes whatsoever.

We continue to use Marathon because of the discounts they give with the credit card (10, 15, and/ or 25 cents per gallon, I think. Depends on how much you spend per month). Never had a problem with it. Seems that most of them are owned/ run by, uhm, "folks for whom English is not their native language", which is funny since their tag line is "Fueling the American spirit".

I think they're tied in with Speedway somehow, too, but not for the discounts.

Wow, almost none of those companies have stations anywhere near where I live. I may make a trip to vermillion one day to see what the difference a tank of pure gas is, supposedly you get like a 15%+ bump in mpg.

Edited by JStump