First bike off trade, looking for as much possible.

05_R6

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the kind words(and for letting me keep your bike for a bit...) Here are some of the pictures in the garage. Maybe when the weather gets nice we can get a picture in the sunlight.

2011-12-04_21-25-55_23.jpg

2011-12-04_21-26-45_38.jpg

I really need to find a bike now... I sold my fz1 a while ago...time for something new

I think that anyone with a decent head on their shoulders can start out on a 600.

the thing is, a beginner doesnt HAVE a decent head on their shoulders. they dont have any experience. they dont know what they are doing, and they dont know how to listen to the bike, or what the bike is telling them. hell, its common for a noob to drop their bike at a walking pace or standstill, let alone at a street pace or faster.

many of these supersports will not tolerate incompetence. its very easy to get in over your head because the bike is not forgiving, and the new rider doesnt know when the bike is saying "hey you're about to get in over your head".

you can say "oh yeah just be careful" but as a beginner, you really dont even know HOW to be careful, because you dont really know anything at all. thats why you're a beginner. an inexperienced rider can get into just as much trouble on a buell blast as they can on a supersport. one just gets them into trouble a lot faster. one is much less forgiving of mistakes, and more tolerant of incompetence (which a newbie has in spades).

if your kid had never driven before, would you just toss him the keys to your vette and tell him "you've got a good head on your shoulders. just be careful"?

sure, there are people who started on supersports who are fine. there are a bunch that wrecked the bike and never got back on, and there are a bunch that are hobbled for life or dead too.

the fact is that supersports are not beginner bikes period. they are, by design, for experienced riders.

the purpose of your first bike should be to allow you to master riding skills and build confidence. you dont grow into a bike, you develop your skills on it.

im not trying to be buzz killington here, i just dont wanna see someone get in over their heads and get injured or worse.

welcome!

As others have said... gear, gear, gear. Helmet, gloves, jacket are ABSOLUTE minimum.

If you're stubborn and insist on learning on a 600RR, then PLEASE be insanely careful the first few (several; many) times you get on it. You won't have habits formed and reflexes/muscles used to doing what you need them to do to be safe. Go for a few nice long, slow cruises before you try and do ANYTHING. It's a serious bike... Don't kill yourself because you haven't learned to handle it yet. Dropping it will make you feel terrible, btw, so just get used to it.

I took the riding course they teach you everything. You will be fine. Everyone here is very supportive and they are always looking out for your safety. Some will agree with you others won't we all have our opinons its just advise. Nobody here wants you to give up just be safe and have fun, that's why all of us bought bikes. Enjoy your bike it looks really nice!

I guess it's a lost cause. Anyone want to buy a clean low mile 05 R6? Ima just buy a moped.

They are talking back and forth. You'll be fine if you take it slow. Im with BAd though and think it's fine to start on one.

Bike looks nice. Good trade

my first bike was a 600RR. Sure it may have been more difficult than other choices but I learned just fine

5/6 people can play Russian Roulette and say they did just fine too.

That's a way over-the-top analogy, but simply cruising YouTube makes it clear that more people wreck 100+ horsepower bikes than sub 100 horsepower bikes. And that's not even necessarily NEW riders. Horsepower just amplifies the possibility for mistakes to be made. spinning up the rear and/or looping the bike are far less likely to be issues on a buell blast than an R6. It absolutely can be done; it's just not the safest way to learn (although in the US, it's certainly one of the most popular ways).

To the OP - take everyone's ribbing in stride. The previous owner of your bike has obviously exaggerated its rear-wheel output, but that doesn't make your bike any less awesome. As you noted, it's damn fast. Isn't that all that matters?

Headlight upgrades are hugely helpful for street riding, but buy good riding gear first.

enjoy the shit-show that is ORDN.

I took the riding course they teach you everything.

The MSF course is a good start, but no way in hell they teach you everything.

They teach you the basics of operating a motorcycle.

KTM-Brian has probably forgotten more about riding than most of those MSF instructors know, and even Brian will tell you he doesn't know everything!

I'm a pretty solid "advanced" rider and starting to suck less at racing, and every time I go out on the track I encounter someone who makes me feel like a total newb!

very nice r6. i bought my 05 this spring. had a 650 last year as my "beginner bike." i'll say i'm glad i had it. and i'll also say that i miss it. it was a fun little bitch, and didn't break my back as a commuter. the r6 is a blast though, don't get me wrong.

i already dumped it too. wet road, planning to go through a green light, but it changed, and the intersection was on a curve, so the braking and turning was too much. just try to minimize your risks for the first couple thousand miles. yes. THOUSAND. the first one thousand, i thought i was a beast. then i rode with others... lol. i'm still plenty newb.

but i aint giving it up any time soon either. good luck with your beautiful new bike.

btw, go to theretrofitsource.com and get the mini kit. that is my fiance's christmas gift to me this year. verrry stoked.

one more p.s. the guys here are whiny girls. don't let them get to you.

Nice bike. I learned to ride on a 05 Kawi 636. Not going to lie, yeah it scared me, but it was the concept of a motorcycle and learning about it. I took my time and learned everything. The more you ride, the more you are going to learn. Hands on experience always recommended.

As for gear, Buy brand new. Don't buy used (my personal opinion, you never now what actually happened or if anything did to the gear). Invest in a good helmet, jacket and gloves. Then look into boots/shoes then pants.

Nice bike. I like the white. As so many have said take the MSF course and get some good gear.

Every time you get on that bike pray to God that you safely get off it when you're done. They are dangerous little toys that our moms don't want us to ride. Respect it at all times. It is not a question of if, it is a question of when will you dump it...again refer to the first sentence of this paragraph.

Ride safe!

Anyone know the cost for the MSF course?

I understand fast, and def will respect the bike. Ive already moved it around and def understand the power of it. Doesn't take much to get going, lol. The brakes are SUPER strong as well. Bike is solid. Going to go through it with Mike. Check everything out. Replace anything that needs to be. Run some sea foam through it. Put new gas in it. Fixed up some wiring splices that aren't the cleanest and just learn bros. Im just stoked that i finally got a bike I've wanted for a while. Cant wait for spring!

And this place doesn't have nearly the trolls CR does. This aint shit guys. Where the fuck is the real bashing. CUM AT ME BRAH!

The MSF course is a good start, but no way in hell they teach you everything.

They teach you the basics of operating a motorcycle.

KTM-Brian has probably forgotten more about riding than most of those structors know, and even Brian will tell you he doesn't know everything!

I'm a pretty solid "advanced" rider and starting to suck less at racing, and every time I go out on the track I encounter someone who makes me feel like a total newb!

This may all be true. However the course teaches you everything you need to know on how to operate a motorcycle safely for day to day riding (not racing). But they can not give you or teach experience. It is a basic class and they do tell you to start slow, they do suggest taking more classes as your skill increases hope this clears up what I meant and next time I will be sure to make it clear so I don't give anyone incorrect or misleading information.