WTB:Late 60's, 70's Early 80's Stereo Receiver

psyco1

I've been getting a hankering for an old school receiver from the Japanese audio golden era, from about 68 to about 82. You know those over-built tank heavy receivers with the analog tuning dials and gauges. Names like Aiwa, Fisher, Pioneer, Yamaha, Sansui, Scott, even Realistic(Radio Shack) made good ones back then.

Like these...

http://silverpioneer.netfirms.com/600_series_receivers.htm

man my uncle had a old tube marantz back in like 88 (it was obviously older than 88) but it sounded so damn powerful and rich. most new stuff would have a hard time reproducing music as nice as it did.

and my buddy had a late 70 pioneer. brushed silver face with probably 9 switches on it lol. hooked up to one of the first cd players when they were starting to come out. and it sounded fantastic too. the cd player was a technics and had better dac than anything made today.

Edited by serpentracer

My garage reciever is the Technics that i got for my 14th birthday. Analog dial and sweeper gauges on the front.

14th birthday? They had electricity back then? :lol:

I still have a late 70's Marantz receiver with the horizontal, nicely weighted gyro tuner - serving garage duty these days.

Still got a Pioneer set up. I did get rid of a Fisher tube receiver that I fixed up. It was so old it didn't have a model number or type. All it said on it was "The Fisher". Was sad to let go of it. Tube amps sound nice. But a small tube type add on box can get that sound back anyway.

edit: you want old? My garage rig was a Lazarus Lloyd amp I saved from the alley on campus...

Edited by ReconRat

14th birthday? They had electricity back then? :lol:

I still have a late 70's Marantz receiver with the horizontal, nicely weighted gyro tuner - serving garage duty these days.

:nono: What's even more amazing is that an electronic device was built to last 30 years rather than 30 months.

I bought a vintage Pioneer from someone on eBay. It was about $120 plus $20 to ship. When it came it was in a brand new double thick box and bubble wrapped. It was perfect. He cleans and lubes all the controls and replaces every bulb. Some guys will do a cap job for more money (that's where they change out all the capacitors on the boards).

zklpwj.jpg

:nono: What's even more amazing is that an electronic device was built to last 30 years rather than 30 months.

That's why I want one, when you turn a knob or flip a switch on one of those old amps, it feels like quality equipment, switches made to last as long as mechanically possible and machined aluminum knobs, giant power supply capacitors for the wattage so the amp section doesn't run dry, big ass heat sinks so you don't burn it up. Plus, you can work on these with a soldering iron and a bit of know how and they tend to sound great.

i bought a vintage pioneer from someone on ebay. It was about $120 plus $20 to ship. When it came it was in a brand new double thick box and bubble wrapped. It was perfect. He cleans and lubes all the controls and replaces every bulb. Some guys will do a cap job for more money (that's where they change out all the capacitors on the boards).

zklpwj.jpg

sx-880?

Yes, 880. You know your shit - that's rare.:) Had to get away from the plastic fantastics. will never go back. And I don't need sound bigger than my TV screen. Heavy beasts with massive power supplies and real tuners. I could dig up the name of the guy who I bought from.

I bought a vintage Pioneer from someone on eBay. It was about $120 plus $20 to ship. When it came it was in a brand new double thick box and bubble wrapped. It was perfect. He cleans and lubes all the controls and replaces every bulb. Some guys will do a cap job for more money (that's where they change out all the capacitors on the boards).

zklpwj.jpg

Fap, fap, fap.... That brings back memories.

I think I'm done messing with vinyl. Hell, I grew up with my parents Sears Silvertone Solid State Stereo Console. Yes, vinyl can sound just as good or even better than digital according to some, but it takes a good matching gear (MM or MC/MC amp?)and a lot of setup.

This is getting hooked up to my comp>Fiio E10 DAC and whatever decent bookshelf speakers I can find. On the lookout for some Wharfedales.

There's a lot of good hardware these days that resemble the vintage audio and are built like tanks.

Conrad Johnson

Luxman

Manley

Cayin

I don't think I have enough extra cash for a Manley 300B Tube amp, amazing pieces of gear though. I already have a Carver 200w amp & preamp for my main system, I'm just looking for a quality replacement for this logitech computer speaker system. If I have to clean out the pots and re-cap it, no problem.