Suing a realtor

Carwhore

I made a thread not to long ago about dealing with a realtor. He's arrogant and didn't look out for my best interest. He wanted a quick closing the entire time and because of that I had an appraisal done on the property.

The appraisal was completed after the inspection. The inspection turned up that the roof was SHOT! I wanted to renegotiate the contract and have them (fannie mae) fix the roof, basically adjust the price. Well i told him not to let the appraiser go to the property and called my bank. Well some how he made it there. I've been in contract with this house for 29 days, and it's been 16 days since the inspection was completed. I still have yet to hear back if they are going to fix the roof.

Basically I'm walking away from the house. I feel as the realtor pressed me into getting the appraisal done asap, without taking the inspection into consideration. I've talked to a lot of people since (realtors as well) and everyone is telling me he should of not had me order the appraisal until we know if they will accept our terms to get the roof fixed.

Can I take him to small claims court and get the money back? The appraisal was $350.

Edited by Carwhore

Dunno specifics of your situation, but there's magic phase that should have been in your contract --

- its - "subject to" --- Its for putting conditions that you demand to before you will perform a successful transaction.

-- So the whole deal may come down to what it says in your contract. You may have the right to sue the realtor or... the realtor or owners of the house may have the right to sue you for breach. (not that they will)

(I take it you were trying to buy the house, not sell it?)

Oh yeah, ---- realtors by contract with the owner of the property, has the primary duty to look out for the owners interest, not any buyer interest at all.... It's sort of like a lawyer/client situation.

Edited by mello dude

Oh yeah, ---- realtors by contract with the owner of the property, has the primary duty to look out for the owners interest, not any buyer interest at all.... It's sort of like a lawyer/client situation.

Unless the Realtor that he's talking about is representing him as a buyer's agent...

Fannie Mae isn't going to fix anything for you.

The bank that's negotiating for Fannie may take a while to get back to you on your bid.

IF you're getting the house at a great discount to market price, and the only thing it needs is a roof, why drop the whole deal? Even adding in the cost of the roof, it's still a great deal, is it not?

I wouldn't waste my time suing the Realtor.

My $0.022 worth, it's your money, and you have to feel comfortable.

Fire your Realtor due to negligence. If he is ignoring you, you have every right to fire them and go with someone else.

I don't think small claims court will be worth it in the long run BUT a few phone calls to BBB, and some licensing agencies having to do with Realtor's sure as shit will get a response. They have to be in good standing to keep their licensing.

We fired the first realtor we had last time we bought a house. She definitely wasn't 100% on our side. She wanted us to just pay more than we wanted to. The second realtor was awesome! She was on our side the entire time, even went the extra step. We tried to buy a home that was a short sale, what a nightmare, the banks are a PITA! We really wanted the house even waited beyond contract offer time to hear yes or no. A good realtor makes the process much better. I bet we looked at almost 40 houses, she was very patient.

Fire your realtor and find one that will work for you.

I highly doubt they will adjust the price if its below market.