what tire can i get 12k miles out of?

Hoblick

these are the type of questions that i have to read on the harley forum..

seriously? these guys spend $20k on a bike, do 10K in mods, then want to be a cheap ass on tires??

if you got that kind of money, put a new set on every 5k regardless..

dont get me started on the guys running car tires..

these guys must put 20,000 highway miles on a year or something.

im sure every tire they have is flat down the middle.

hdforum.com has some good info on it.. but its mostly a bunch of fucking idiots.

just had to vent a little..

these "harley guys" make me hate the brand, FUCK!

I never understood the darkside guys...you would think that running a car tire on the back would make your bike handle like shit. I can understand guys looking for longer lasting tires, as long as it is a legit question about tire compounds etc.

I never understood the darkside guys...you would think that running a car tire on the back would make your bike handle like shit. I can understand guys looking for longer lasting tires, as long as it is a legit question about tire compounds etc.

when i buy a tire, mileage is at the bottom of my list.

im looking for the best wet/dry traction tire i can get

better stability in the corners

its pretty tough finding a decent tire for a harley

but the avons do very well suprisingly

run a sport touring tire, best wet/dry traction, lean angle, mileage and are generally designed for heavier bikes. You can usually get about 10k out of them unless you're hard on the throttle then it might be closer to 6-8k on the rear.

run a sport touring tire, best wet/dry traction, lean angle, mileage and are generally designed for heavier bikes. You can usually get about 10k out of them unless you're hard on the throttle then it might be closer to 6-8k on the rear.

not on a HD touring you cant..

they dont have the load rating, or id be all over a set of sport touring tires.

also the term "darkside" should be renamed to "retards"

who in there right mind would think a car tire is a good replacement for a motorcycle tire

car tires are not made to handle lean angle

I'm on a Valkyrie forum and there's a group that swears by car tires. They still say the bike handles great. -- Yeah, right. Most of them dont have a clue what good handling is, and have never been on a sport bike leaning hard on the gas with thier knee down. fools --:eek:

For a cruiser type tire, Avon Cobra's seem to be the best bet. Dunno if they come in your Harley size. Dennis Kirk is a good source.

I haven't spent much time on HDForums, but the I do frequent XL Forum, and have been pretty impressed with the number of guys that actually ride their sportsters. The number of threads around suspension setup, usable power, etc... kinda suprised me. I guess that goes along with Sportsters not being "real" Harleys according to all those "Harley guys". It's all good though, they can keep running the prices up on the Dynas, 'Glides, and Fatboys, and I'll keep smokin' 'em in the twisties!

I haven't spent much time on HDForums, but the I do frequent XL Forum, and have been pretty impressed with the number of guys that actually ride their sportsters. The number of threads around suspension setup, usable power, etc... kinda suprised me. I guess that goes along with Sportsters not being "real" Harleys according to all those "Harley guys". It's all good though, they can keep running the prices up on the Dynas, 'Glides, and Fatboys, and I'll keep smokin' 'em in the twisties!

I had a 'loaner' Fatboy for 10 days this summer. That was the least fun I have ever had on 2 wheels. That last HD I rode before that was a Sportster. The Sportster was by far the more rideable/capable of the two.

on the OP, I know some Goldwing guys also use car tires for the extended mileage. There are even some benefits for acceleration and rear braking. However, cornering with a car tire seems downright dangerous, especially transitions from one turn to another like on a switchback.

on the OP, I know some Goldwing guys also use car tires for the extended mileage. There are even some benefits for acceleration and rear braking. However, cornering with a car tire seems downright dangerous, especially transitions from one turn to another like on a switchback.

I doubt its that dangerous when your taking curves at 25mph. Plus that big flat spot makes it easier to keep balance as you bounce bar to bar getting shit faced

Buddy rides a Honda PC and uses the ME880s. They are great tires for both wet and dry sport riding, but I doubt you'll get more than 6-8K out of 'em if you use 'em hard. He doesn't....

Let's face it. Any modern sport bike/sport tourer/cruiser that has more than 40-50 HP and weighs in at 400# or more isn't gonna get much over 5-7K miles out of a good road tire, and that even goes for the dual compound tires.

I'm on a Valkyrie forum and there's a group that swears by car tires. They still say the bike handles great. -- Yeah, right. Most of them dont have a clue what good handling is, and have never been on a sport bike leaning hard on the gas with thier knee down. fools --:eek:

For a cruiser type tire, Avon Cobra's seem to be the best bet. Dunno if they come in your Harley size. Dennis Kirk is a good source.

i run Avon Cobras