Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops

max power

Only dumb cops can be hired in NY! :lol:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95836

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

“This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class,” Jordan said today from his Waterford home. “I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else.”

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action.

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

Jordan alleged his rejection from the police force was discrimination. He sued the city, saying his civil rights were violated because he was denied equal protection under the law.

But the U.S. District Court found that New London had “shown a rational basis for the policy.” In a ruling dated Aug. 23, the 2nd Circuit agreed. The court said the policy might be unwise but was a rational way to reduce job turnover.

Jordan has worked as a prison guard since he took the test.

The judge may as well admit he's also dumber than the plaintiff then, because that was one stupid judgement call on his part - I hope this guy keeps pursuing this - denying someone a position due to overqualification is one thing, but veto hiring him because there's "possibility" he'll grow bored with it? How idiotic that sounds.......ANYONE can quit a job later by deciding their bored with it, doesnt take a fuckin' Tesla mentality to bring that idea on. :nono:

I'm not making a judgement, but how many people out there are extremely book smart but they lack common sense as far as street smarts. Maybe that plays a role in this? Just a thought....

You could be right, but I thought they included some sort of common sense questioning in their personality profile section of the test? Had a work buddy that took it this year and he said there was some really weird shit on parts of it, he figured it was to help grade/determine snap-judgement scenarios....:dunno:

The judge may as well admit he's also dumber than the plaintiff then, because that was one stupid judgement call on his part - I hope this guy keeps pursuing this - denying someone a position due to overqualification is one thing, but veto hiring him because there's "possibility" he'll grow bored with it? How idiotic that sounds.......ANYONE can quit a job later by deciding their bored with it, doesnt take a fuckin' Tesla mentality to bring that idea on. :nono:

I was denied a position at ADT because they were afraid I would get "bored".

Well, and because i wasn't a "yes man". Apparently showing too much confidence is not what they want.

NoBama 2012

Agree but disagree on this one. Sucks to dump a bunch of money into training someone. This says about 60K (rounded up). However, I think it's a dumb policy. IQ has little to do with interest in career decisions and likeliness to stay in a job IMO.

There are tons of highly intelligent people that stay in dead end jobs, and or have a passion for what they do.

IQ has little to do with interest in career decisions and likeliness to stay in a job IMO.

There are tons of highly intelligent people that stay in dead end jobs, and or have a passion for what they do.

Exactly, some folks really just dig what they do, no matter how arbitrary; but then have hobbies where they exercise their exceptional brainpower...... I can understand if there's better candidates in line for the same job but this guy placed above the avg IQ, which one would think "should" give the applicant leverage.......I guess some companies probably just have bad decision makers with too much power doing the hiring. Sounds typical of city/county/state/gov.......so ultimately, good luck fighting the system at their own game?

Well, and because i wasn't a "yes man". Apparently showing too much confidence is not what they want.

NoBama 2012

That some shit, you were good enough to interview and consider for the job......yet they're scared to invest in you just in case you aren't happy later? I dont get it.......I'd rather be told initially that 'You're over qualified, but we would like to interview you anyway' so at least I'd have an understanding beforehand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ak5Lr3qkW0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mfbUhs2PVY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA0gjyXG5O0&feature=player_embedded

Too many incorrect assumptions being made here.

The military doesn't do this.

Compensation can be a way to maintain higher I.Q. employees but unions won't allow that.

Disagree with the assessment. Studies have show that typically high IQs will be productive at any job. And that those jobs are scattered all over the spectrum. Most noticeably, half will pursue high end technical stuff, and the other half will pursue artistic endeavors (i.e. work with their hands). And I would guess that that is typically normal for any IQ.

And I suppose that is why people with high IQs go through life "playing dumb" to fit in.

Would a high IQ get bored with that job? Maybe, maybe not. To assign that as a cause and effect is arbitrarily discriminatory. Data to the contrary be damned.

NoBama 2012

I have both received and been denied jobs due to confidence, when I went to work for Lowe's I flat out asked the store manager in the interview, how much a store manager made. He just smiled, and explained it would take about 2 years with the company to go through all the training. I was hired :) I was denied several jobs for similar questions.

I was told not even apply at one place because I was over qualified. They wanted someone to specifically do things in their order, they didn't want you to be capable of thought.

The only NYC well actually Long Island, NY cop I have dealt with was very polite, intelligent speaking, and professional.

Sooo, a really smart person might get bored being a police officer?

Maybe (s)he would go to night school, get a degree, then maybe go to night school again and get a law degree, and they'd be SOOOO bored that they would take (and pass) Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Commander, etc. exams and move up in the ranks?

Yup, sure don't want anyone smart carrying a gun on the streets, charged with protecting the citizens.

Nope, I want an army of mouth breathers doing that.

The ones I've met, with one exception - the CPD idiot that gave me a ticket for speeding when there was no way he could have clocked me - have been well-spoken, polite, and professional.