Opinion on vehicles

Gump

Gmc Terrain or Subaru Outback  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Gmc Terrain or Subaru Outback

• GMC Terrain
    • Subaru Outback
    • Hookers and blow

Want to stay in the 29mpg zone but need to be able to tow light stuff and be 4wd or awd.

So it comes down to a Subaru outback or a gmc terrain.

Outback 4 banger has a 1000# rating and the v6 has a 1000# rating

Terrain has a 1000# rating or the v-6 has a 3000# rating.

They both drop to around 23mpg with the v-6's.

I like the terrains looks better.

Any ideas's? Other vehicles out there?

Want to stay in a $28,000 range.

Gump.. I don't know where you got your towing numbers' date=' but they're incorrect.. where the Outback is concerned. The H-6 is rated for 3,000 lbs. The H-4 is rated for 2700 lbs. (based off 2011 models)

The H-6 has ~250 lb/ft of torque and ~250 hp. It'll pull whatever that GMC will pull.[/quote']

Huh. Dealer and some website. Maybe you're #'s are with trailer brakes numbers?

I just texted him he said his compass gets between 26&29 highway and about 23 city max tow is 2000lb

I had a Patriot.. same car as compass for a company car.. blew the transmission because of towing.. those cars are absolute SHIT! I wouldn't take another free one.. HORRIBLE

I just texted him he said his compass gets between 26&29 highway and about 23 city max tow is 2000lb

Thanks. Not a Chrysler fan but thought maybe they changed but since the last post it re-confirms opinion about chryslers reliability. Looks kinda small also.

I'll check out this diesel idea.

My numbers are from Subaru's website. The owner manuals state to use trailer brakes for any load greater than 1' date='000 lbs. You and I know that is ridiculous. I've hauled 2 motorcycles to/from Deal's Gap in a trailer with my Subaru. I don't have an upgraded transmission cooler or trailer brakes. I use my Outback as a truck all the time... and it's just the 4 cylinder model.

Just sayin'.... :)[/quote']

Yep. Did u get a factory hitch or did it come with it?

Why not buy a pre-07 diesel?

Like a duramax. Get efi live and get 26mpg and be able to tow 15k lbs.

I've got a 08 f-250 right now lifted on 37" that gets 26

Do not believe anything this bubby say concerning MPG of any vehicle. Of the choices presented, go Subaru

What about a Ford Edge or you could even get a loaded edge around that price. Both offer awd and around 30mpg. Edge might bump you over the 28k price once you go awd and options but an escape wouldn't

Whats the average mpg? 26 or is that highway only? Entertaining this idea but what motor is better? What's EFI live? Some adjustable electronic gadget? I'm a diesel newb. Parents have a older Dogde Cummins dually that gets 20 highway but way to friggin noisy and stiff.

Is this a good deal?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=310810153&dealer_id=65949301&car_year=2004&doors=&systime=&listingCounter=0&adModel=&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&scarid=313770770&highlightFirstMakeModel=&rdm=1326055876609&drive=4+wheel+drive&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&make3=CHEV&make2=GMC&certified=&engine=&adBodyStyle=TRUCKS,TRADERNA&dma=CLEVELAND_SE&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&useBIRF=true&sort_type=priceDESC&adClassSeries=&max_price=&make=FORD&useImpressions=true&model=&body_style=TRUCKS&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&search_type=both&distance=100&min_price=&fuel=Diesel&listingPriority=30&flip=a&end_year=2008&showZipError=n&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&body_code=32&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&model3=&address=44615&color=&model2=&adMake=FORD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=66&ref=srl

Don't buy a 03-04 6.0l power stroke. If you buy a 05-07 you really need to do the upgraded head studs and a egr delete.

Cummins trucks are pretty expensive right now. Again I would tell you a pre-07. 2007 6.7L and newer have to run a egr and dpf. Which is all emission bullshit. I had a 06 mega can Todd and jagr rode in. It got 25mpg

Honestly I would vote a LBZ duramax personally. They are 2006-early 2007 (pre-emissions). Efi live is a program that basically makes your factory Ecuador a standalone. Meaning you can adjust any parameter.

The ford I have is a 08 which is a 6.4 twin turbo diesel. They are nice trucks. But come with a dpf and egr. Ours has all the deletes and tuner/exhaust/intake and gets 26mpg on the highway. Honestly in town you probably get 20-26 with that truck. Depending on how much stop and go traffic you see.

Do not believe anything this bubby say concerning MPG of any vehicle. Of the choices presented, go Subaru

You bought the only suburban that gets the worst mileage ever lol. Should bought one with 3.55 or 3.73 gears lol

Check out the Mitsubishi Outlander. I got one for the wife and love it. They recommend not towing with the sport model. They one I got is loaded with everything but a backup camera. If your interested pm me i'll answer whatever questions you have and can get you in touch with a greats sales guy. The GT V6 model is rated to 3500lbs.

I had a Patriot.. same car as compass for a company car.. blew the transmission because of towing.. those cars are absolute SHIT! I wouldn't take another free one.. HORRIBLE

Chrysler transmissions are awful, I would never advise anyone that would even do a decent amount of towing to get one if its not a Dodge truck. And even then I'm not the biggest fan

I used to a GM guy and all but 1 of the cars I've bought has been a GM vehicle but other than a Corvette or Firehawk, don't think I could ever spend the $ on them anymore. I do like the looks over the Subaru but as far as reliability goes I'd lean away from GM with all their nickel and dime bullshit problems

I'm either way out of the loop on SUV's getting in the mid 20's for mpg, or you guys aren't taking into account the smaller tires that I've seen installed to try to make you think you are getting the mpg that you've calculated. I've never gotten mid 20's out of a 4x4.

I'm either way out of the loop on SUV's getting in the mid 20's for mpg, or you guys aren't taking into account the smaller tires that I've seen installed to try to make you think you are getting the mpg that you've calculated. I've never gotten mid 20's out of a 4x4.

Our Equinox AWD will get mid 20s mpg outside the city. However Ive never gotten close to 29+mpg. The FWD model may though.

I my opinion the Terrain is about the ugliest car currently sold. The Equinox looks much better. We definitely like the Equinox but have not towed with it. The Subaru is a nice vehicle but seems smaller inside than the Equinox.

Between the 2 you suggested I'd go Outback. However if it was the Equinox instead of the Terrain I go Chevy.

Craig

MPG is a little lower, but you also might look at the dodge Nitro

I got a 4x4 nitro because they are capable and inexpensive on the used market. It's based on truck tech though so I get 17mpg avg on the stoplight filled backroads to and from work.