thinking about a SHTF gun....ak or ar?

Steve Butters

was looking for a new shtf gun - 800 or under preferably and i dont mind used...was looking at the sig 556r that was posted, but im reading reviews on them and they dont seem too great, and its $1000...probably be better off with a cheaper AK that works lol

my main goals are SHTF - occasional coyote blasting - and target shooting 100-200yds

i like the accuracy and range of the ar - but i like the punch of the ak

ar10 would be ideal, but its out of my budget

im leaning towards an AK - what would be a good one? i want a synthetic one if i get one

i see a ton of ARs on armslist in my budget - but i know nothing about them, they seem ridiculously complicated

something like this looks nice

http://www.armslist.com/posts/241387/columbus-ohio-rifles-for-sale-trade--zastava-pap-ak-47-with-nice-extras----like-new-

but i think its single stack...what company makes a decent double stack in my price range?

something like this better?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1056.aspx

Edited by Steve Butters

i want something with a more common caliber

although that gun looks very nice and very tempting...i will keep it in mind perhaps

maybe an S&W MP15 in 300blk....but then im looking at harder to find ammo in a shtf situation, as well as still knowing nothing about ARs lol

are replacement parts hard to find for one?

i like this one (minus the camo)

http://grabagun.com/smith-wesson-m-p15-300blk-16-10rd-rltr-6pos.html

^ only comes in camo though....do you have one to suggest? i like the info on that caliber, worth researching more

Edited by Steve Butters

i sent dale a PM asking for some more info on that 300BLK round, and asked him to take a look at this thread

when im ready to make a purchase it will be through dale

first two are 5.45 and third one is single stack i think...i think im going to look for a double stack if i go for an AK - i dont want to do a conversion or modify it to take standard ak mags

Edited by Steve Butters

having trouble finding saiga anything under $700-800....got a link? prices went up on them a lot last time i was at buckeye looking

Jacob and I each ordered a.saiga 7.62. I wanna say they were 315ish. But saiga sells them as sporting rifles not "ak-47's". You'll have to convert them. Carolina shooter supply sells kits for all saiga weapons.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=353&page=1

I got an Arsenal Saiga SGL-21 from K-Var when they were on sale a couple years ago. Done.

AK would definitely be my tool of choice if there were actual mayhem afoot.

i like that too!

so many choices out there...ill be buying in about a month i think, so ive got a lot to research lol

No stamp.needed for 16 in.

cool thanks - not sure why i was thinking 18.5 and under

im really liking the ones in that link - and dale being a dealer might be able to cut me a good price...the ammo doesnt look too expensive either, and i can always pick up a 5.56 upper later on and have both calibers available

i guess from here ill just talk to dale

im leaning towards the cmmg ar in 300blk....its double the price of an AK, but the accuracy and size are very appealing

i asked dale for info on the ak he has for sale, and for a quote on the cmmg ar...just have to wait for a response