X box live ?

Hutch

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start here:

Are any of your PC's or network devices downloading anything big, like movies, music, games, streaming TV, stuff like that? If they are, stop the downloads and try it.

If not, start eliminating other network devices like PC's, sometimes they will pull data in the background depending on how they are set up.

Once you have the network devices off the network, THEN you start eliminating hardware. If the xbox is hardwired to the router, eliminate the router and connect direct to the modem. If it's wireless, hardwire to router if possible, then direct to modem if possible.

Drops can very well be bandwidth related as well as hardware related. If you have a bunch of things on the network sucking up all the available bandwidth, it's very possible that you'll drop traffic destined for the xbox and it will mess with your connection.

I have the dualband N600 and it is excellent. .

+1 I have the same router and it works great for me...but I have a PS3 on it not a 360. I have always had good luck with Netgear...Linksys was nothing but headaches with my last one.

I have the MW3 360 and a PS3 with a Cisco Linksys E1500 router and never get booted off of BF3 (can't say the same for their servers). I also typically have two laptops online, too, along with the 360 and/or PS3.

Maybe I should consider a netgear I have s Linksys now. My issues is occasionally getting signed in, once I'm on I don't get kicked I just have issues with signing sometimes. I don't know if that is a router issue or not.

Maybe I should consider a netgear I have s Linksys now. My issues is occasionally getting signed in, once I'm on I don't get kicked I just have issues with signing sometimes. I don't know if that is a router issue or not.

Oh, thank you for jogging my memory. I've had this happen several times while trying to sign into XBL and I had to reboot my router to solve the problem.

So, in hindsight it is the router and maybe I need to reread the posts about the Netgear's everyone recommends.

nerd explanation ahoy

Some consumer routers have better networking "stacks", or the software that makes all the network data move around, than others. It's highly possible that the router you were using just had a shitty TCP/IP stack that was causing a shitload of dropped data that was kicking you off MW3 just before a 12 year old knifed you in the back of the head.

I prefer Linksys over Netgear, just MO. They seem to have better support from the aftermarket community, i.e. DDRT and Tomato.

But if your router is more than 4 or 5 years old it's probably time to get a new one. The newest batch of high performance routers are very good...Asus Black Diamond, Linksys E4200, Netgear WNDR4500 (N900) just to make a few of the best ones. Again, I went with the E4200 and could not be happier with it.