Mitt's record on guns

kawi kid

I have heard some folks on here refer to Romney's record on guns a pretty unfavorable. I did some digging and found an interesting blog post.

http://www.pagunblog.com/2012/01/15/the-truth-about-mitt-romneys-record-on-guns/

I'm not in anyway supporting him but like the blogger says if he would happen to get the nomination I would pick him over another 4 years of what we have now. I fear more antigun stuff in the second term of Obama. He got his health care now he wants gun legislation.

He would turn the entire us into Illinois if he could. Of you don't know what I mean check out Illinois gun laws.

That might be completely true, but it doesn't address the question at all.

What has the Obama Administration done to try to harm gun ownership rights?

That might be completely true, but it doesn't address the question at all.

http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/barack_obama_gun_control.htm

Obama was being misleading when he denied that his handwriting had been on a document endorsing a state ban on the sale and possession of handguns in Illinois. Obama responded, “No, my writing wasn’t on that particular questionnaire. As I said, I have never favored an all-out ban on handguns.”Actually, Obama’s writing was on the 1996 document, which was filed when Obama was running for the Illinois state Senate. A Chicago nonprofit, Independent Voters of Illinois, had this question, and Obama took hard line:

35. Do you support state legislation to:

a. ban the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns? Yes.

b. ban assault weapons? Yes.

c. mandatory waiting periods and background checks? Yes.

Obama’s campaign said, “Sen. Obama didn’t fill out these state Senate questionnaires--a staffer did--and there are several answers that didn’t reflect his views then or now. He may have jotted some notes on the front page of the questionnaire, but some answers didn’t reflect his views.”

He has a history of anti-gun

Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok

Q: You said recently, “I have no intention of taking away folks’ guns.” But you support the D.C. handgun ban, and you’ve said that it’s constitutional. How do you reconcile those two positions?

A: Because I think we have two conflicting traditions in this country. I think it’s important for us to recognize that we’ve got a tradition of handgun ownership and gun ownership generally. And a lot of law-abiding citizens use it for hunting, for sportsmanship, and for protecting their families. We also have a violence on the streets that is the result of illegal handgun usage. And so I think there is nothing wrong with a community saying we are going to take those illegal handguns off the streets. And cracking down on the various loopholes that exist in terms of background checks for children, the mentally ill. We can have reasonable, thoughtful gun control measure that I think respect the Second Amendment and people’s traditions.

Source: 2008 Politico pre-Potomac Primary interview Feb 11, 2008

Some more facts Edited by TheBrown57

^^^^

More pablum from the mouth of a politico.

Watched the Republican debate last night. Romney was dead last in official polling I did of myself, R. Paul/Santorum tied for 2nd, and Newt won going away.

Hate to say it, but once people hear Dr. Paul speak, even if they tend to agree with his ideas, they won't vote for him. He struggles to string two consecutive, coherent thoughts together.

That might be completely true, but it doesn't address the question at al

It was Obama's state department who started operation fast and furious or now known as the gun runner scandal setting up for tougher gun control laws down the road. That is what Obama has done. He allowed hundreds of Mexican nationals and a handful of atf agents to be killed. After all it started he stood beside the Mexican president at a press conference and condemned all the American guns used to kill the Mexican people. Also the Mexican president gave a speech in front of Congress addressing the same issue.

It was Obama's state department who started operation fast and furious or now known as the gun runner scandal setting up for tougher gun control laws down the road. That is what Obama has done. He allowed hundreds of Mexican nationals and a handful of atf agents to be killed. After all it started he stood beside the Mexican president at a press conference and condemned all the American guns used to kill the Mexican people. Also the Mexican president gave a speech in front of Congress addressing the same issue.

Actually, Project Gunrunner was initiated in 2005 in Laredo, TX., and expanded nationally in 2006 during G.W. Bush's Presidency.

Obama didn't start the program, but he certainly did nothing to stop it.

It was expanded upon by Eric holder... which is why a large amount of congressmen and senators have called for his resignation.

He (Holder) should never have been hired.

You are correct, it was expanded (and covered up as best he could manage) by Holder.

All of Washington needs to go, but that's a whole 'nother can-o-worms.

Operation Fast and Furious started in 2009, but it isn't now known as the gun runner scandal. The scandal predates the Obama Administration by four years.

Perhaps you're right. Perhaps it was a mishandling of an already bad situation that led to the death of Mexican nationals and ATF agents.

But that doesn't address the question, either. What has the Obama Administration done to try to harm gun ownership rights?

I dont think you follow me. Its not a fact of what he has done, its more along the lines of what he would do if all the stars aligned. The stance of mitt Romney and what he would do if given the chance is why I started this thread.

I dont think you follow me. Its not a fact of what he has done, its more along the lines of what he would do if all the stars aligned. The stance of mitt Romney and what he would do if given the chance is why I started this thread.

Right - and the very premise of your first post, the thus this entire thread, is that you'd pick Romney over four more years of what we have now. I'm merely asking what the Obama Administration has done thus far to curtail gun rights.

You're making the comparison - you'd take Romney over four more years of President Obama because you fear anti-gun stuff, so I think the question is fair. In fact, you say "He got his healthcare now he wants gun legislation." I haven't seen any evidence that President Obama has his sights set on gun legislation, no pun intended, so I'm trying to figure out what the Obama Administration has done thus far that would make you believe that they're going after gun rights.

Ignoring that Romney can't win the nomination (he has a religion problem), I'm trying to figure out why he might be a better choice in this respect, comparing what Romney has done as Governor versus what President Obama has done as President thus far.

• 2 weeks later...