Up for discussion: noob track day

undr_psi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jbut, Blue, and APCH8R instruct at every event so yep. And if you're lucky maybe you can grab some of those guys for 1 on 1;s. All the instructors are really good. When I ran the race school I had my own guy that raced an SV and set up right accross from us, it was one of the best learning days I had. He would come over and talk to me directly right after the session and it helped a ton.

Not to mention fridays are awesome for 1 on 1, I had some tows with Blue and it helped a ton. No homo/

Jbut, Blue, and APCH8R instruct at every event so yep. And if you're lucky maybe you can grab some of those guys for 1 on 1;s. All the instructors are really good. When I ran the race school I had my own guy that raced an SV and set up right accross from us, it was one of the best learning days I had. He would come over and talk to me directly right after the session and it helped a ton.

Not to mention fridays are awesome for 1 on 1, I had some tows with Blue and it helped a ton. ALL homo/

Fixed it

I am totally down for this! I was planning on doing a track day this year anyway, but i was a little intimidated by the fact that i'd have no clue how it works. being with a group of people with the same mindset sounds great!

If any of us are there that have done them before are there we would be more than happy to help you out with what you need to be doing to get on track. It is really easy once you go through it. Biggest thing is to check the orgs website to see what bike prep needs done for novice/instructional group. Most are the same and really basic.

Just plan for the first moto series day. Maybe the guys can get the day discounted like last year. Even if it's raining it's a good experience and builds confidence riding in the rain.

Jinu worked with me on. Just talk to one of them and get in there group and at the end of the day get a tow from them. Lot of OR guys at motoseries so I think that's a good place for first track day.

If any of you are going to the IX center this weekend, I will be helping Todd at the motoseries booth on saturday from 9-1. Stop by and I can help give you a shake down of what all goes on and what is needed for your first day. I also know MidO will have a booth also, and they can let you know what to do for one of their days.

ok all noobs that are interested...mark your calendars and save the dates for the April and May Motoseries days and keep those blocked off. One or both of these can be noob days as I plan to make at least one if not both.

Admittedly, I'm a pansy when it comes to weather so I won't know 100% til closer to the date. But I'm just getting everything together now and setting the money aside so I have no excuses other than weather when the time comes :D

I'd definitely be up for this as well. I've got a buddy that offered to take me to my first track day but he wouldn't be in my group, so it would be nice to get to know some people within my same track skills, which, is none. I'll follow this thread and definitely try to meet you guys when the season opens!

That's a lot cheaper than MO states on their website - they've got leather rental marked at $75 for trackdays? Shouldn't matter since I'm working to get back into mine......soon enough anyway:D

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I've gathered about trackday bike prep.....

NOVICE - no need to safety wire anything, but brakes/tires/lines/hoses must be in good shape (60%-70% life left ) all lenses/glass completely taped, and track approved coolant is required?

INTERMEDIATE/ADVANCED - Must safety wire oil filter/drain lug/axle nuts/caliper bolts, all brakes/tires/lines/hoses must be in good shape (60%-70% life left) all lenses/glass completely taped, and track approved coolant is required?

Is this it for bike prep? Obviously other than leathers ( 1-pc, or zip together 2-pc), "track quality" boots, and a DOT lid?

Intermediate isn't really that strict. -Oil Drain Plug, Oil Filter, Oil Filler Cap, Approved Coolant. (Depends on Org) Most of us use Distilled water+water wetter.

Advanced is pretty close to what you listed. Can't say that brake lines/banjo's have to be done, but its always nice to play it safe.

As for gear, add in full gauntlet/over the wrist gloves. And DoT Helmet thats less then 5 years old (Manufacture date). As a general rule, if your running OEM plastics and lights, unplug the lights if possible so nothing catches fire. And tape anything that can crack/break. I always used painters date initially then used black duct tape to make sure nothing came off.

• REMOVE THE ANTI-FREEZE, water or water with Red-Line Water Wetter are the only fluids allowed in your cooling system (Only the Instructional Group is Exempt where Anti-freeze is allowed)
  • Remove or tape your mirrors and turn signals
  • Tape your headlight lens if it is made of glass
  • Tape your brake lights
  • Tape your speedometer (Instructional Group Only)
  • New-er "track day" or High Performance Street compound tires are recommended with no pronounced flat spots or irregular wear.
  • Anything that can be an entanglement or impalement hazard should be removed (non folding rear passenger pegs, stunt cages/bars, spike bar ends)
  • (Possible recommendations, but are not required include: Race bodywork and if possible remove or secure your kickstand and license plate and/or bracket and rear passenger pegs and/or brackets, and safety wire your oil drain plug and cap and filter, radiator cap and drain plug) (Blue masking or Painters tape is recommended; Duct tape is commonly used, but is sometimes difficult to remove)

Advanced Group Additional Requirements

• Oil Drain Plug, Oil Filter, Oil Fill Cap, Radiator Cap, and Coolant Drain Plug must be safety wired or full race tech requirements per our rule book.
  • Removal of all side "kick" or center stands

Motoseries requirements.

I don't see suit rental on the site but here is a link to where you purchase the rental online.

http://www.motoseries.com/checkout/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=132&zenid=e813n57nl21apeh3hvsa6gdug2

Thanx guys,

I found the leather rental price on midohio's website but after looking again, I don't see it - swear it said $75 but not sure where I found that info......here's a copy/paste of the requirements ( but this is under performance track riding on MO's site )

Bike Preparation

• All bikes MUST pass technical inspection prior to admittance to the track. If your bike DOES NOT pass tech inspection, you will NOT receive a refund.
  • Tires and brakes must be in good condition. Tires should be at least 75 percent of new condition. Any tires that are bluing from excessive wear will be disallowed. Slicks are allowed in 85 percent plus condition. We will have on site tire service at each track day, so if your tires don't pass, you will have the opportunity to purchase replacement tires to pass tech.
  • All glass, headlight, turn signals, and plastic lenses must be taped over or removed. Side mirrors must be removed for the advanced group and at least taped over for all other groups.
  • We recommend, but do not require removal of center stands. No bikes with center stands will be allowed in the Advanced/Racer Group due to the ground clearance issue.
  • All machines must have an operational handlebar mounted kill switch/button and self-closing throttle in good working condition.
  • Advanced and Intermediate group riders MUST use water or water wetter or a non-ethyl glycol based anti-freeze/coolant. Approved Poly Glycol brands are: Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, and Engine Ice. NO AUTOMOTIVE ETHYL GLYCOL BASED COOLANTS ARE ALLOWED.
  • It is recommended that Advanced and Intermediate riders safety wire drain plugs and oil fill caps. Minimum requirement is RTV silicone on both. We highly suggest securing the oil filter as well.
  • All valve stems must have caps.
  • Wheel balance weights must be well-secured.
  • License plates must have bolts taped or be removed

I wouldn't worry to much about the weather.

My first Trackday it was like 45 degrees and raining pretty much the whole day.

As crappy as it sounds,it was still a great day and I still had a blast.

Meet several nice ppl and even chatted with "Mr. Smooth" after the day was over.