carry opinions

It'sMyRR

I currently own a cz 9mm but think its too heavy for my taste to carry. I was comparing the Kimber ultra carry 45 with the s&w revolver 380 featherweight. I liked both because of the light weight but was kinda sceptical on the hammerless s&w revolver. I would get an ankle holster or case to carry in my purse/coat pocket. Does anyone have any opinions or advice on either or know of anything else that would be good and light to carry?

• Upvote 1

Ankle carry is useless. A perp can unload an entire mag into you or beat the hell out of you in the time it would take you to get your weapon. Second if weight is your concern why are you considering a 45

I've just always favored the 45. The Kimber ultra carry is 7 shooter, so I wouldn't imagine it would be much heavier loaded.

I carry the Smith 340pd Airweight. It's a nice gun and you forget it's there very quickly due to the very light weight. I chose to go for the Scandium framed .357 version for the extra flexibility of being able to shoot 38, 38+p or the .357mag. As a side note I would not recommend the .357 magnum cartridge in this gun to anybody without shooting it first. With 38 special the recoil is the same as a full framed .40 or .45, when loaded with .357mag that little handgun will almost break your wrist. I rented one up at NASR before buying it to make sure I knew what I was getting into for the extra cost.

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5460.jpg

The Crimson trace laser grips with the rear overmold make a big improvement in felt recoil over the factory mini grips. The last picture was more for fun but it is awesome with such a short barrel that you can see the bullet when looking down the barrel.

IMG_5464.jpg

(And quit your bitchin, I reload so the one in the chamber for the photo is a dummy:rolleyes:)

I carry the Smith 340pd Airweight. It's a nice gun and you forget it's there very quickly due to the very light weight. I chose to go for the Scandium framed .357 version for the extra flexibility of being able to shoot 38, 38+p or the .357mag. As a side note I would not recommend the .357 magnum cartridge in this gun to anybody without shooting it first. With 38 special the recoil is the same as a full framed .40 or .45, when loaded with .357mag that little handgun will almost break your wrist. I rented one up at NASR before buying it to make sure I knew what I was getting into for the extra cost.

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5460.jpg

The Crimson trace laser grips with the rear overmold make a big improvement in felt recoil over the factory mini grips. The last picture was more for fun but it is awesome with such a short barrel that you can see the bullet when looking down the barrel.

IMG_5464.jpg

(And quit your bitchin, I reload so the one in the chamber for the photo is a dummy:rolleyes:)

I'm pretty sure that was the same model I was looking at. It was indeed very comfortable and light. The crimson trace grips did make a big improvement in the handling.

Smith makes it in several option levels depending on what you are looking for. A plain jane 38 special is the least expensive with mine going for around $1000 msrp (I paid around 800) plus another $300 for the grips. If you wanted to stay with the 38 special you can look at the 442/642 models that are roughly half the price of the 340pd.

Ruger LCR .357, $389.99

Smith 360 Scandium .357, $589.99

Smith Bodyguard .38 w/laser, $399.99

Smith 442/642 two-tone .38, $399.99

All prices from CDNN

I've shot the Smith 442 and the Ruger .357. IMHO, the Ruger has a much better trigger and less felt recoil than the Smith, shooting .38

***edit: The 360 Scandium referenced above has a spur hammer, OP (I think) is looking for an internal/shrouded hammer).

Only people who need to carry a 45 are men with small penises. Take some classes and do some defensive drills and such with a 45 and a 9 and see if you still favor the 45.

There's just no making you happy is there? :) You tell us LCP carrying guys to get bigger guns and her to get a smaller gun.

I guess I should feel good though. As per your analogy, us LCP carrying guys have no insecurities in our penis size

NoBama 2012

Ankle carry is useless. A perp can unload an entire mag into you or beat the hell out of you in the time it would take you to get your weapon. Second if weight is your concern why are you considering a 45

Ankle carry isn't useless. There is a time and place for it. If you sit in a car a lot its easier to get out of an ankle holster than a pocket or small of the back holster.

Just because one person has no need for it does not mean somebody else wont find it to be the best option.

Edited by kawi kid

It may only seem to heavy if you're not carrying it correctly. It's all about the belt and the holster, there's a lot of people on here who would agree. There are guys who carry big 1911s and hardly realize it's there. I do not think it is a good idea to carry it in a briefcase or a purse as it's too easy to get separated from you.

If you're still wanting something smaller look into S&W Bodyguard 38 or 380, S&W J-Frames like the 638, Ruger LCP or LC9 or Glock 26.

If you're still wanting something smaller look into S&W Bodyguard 38 or 380, S&W J-Frames like the 638, Ruger LCP or LC9 or Glock 26.

If were going to non revolvers she could also do a S/A XDsc in a 9 or 40. Or she could get her .45 fix with the XD45s.

NoBama 2012

There's just no making you happy is there? :) You tell us LCP carrying guys to get bigger guns and her to get a smaller gun.

I guess I should feel good though. As per your analogy, us LCP carrying guys have no insecurities in our penis size

NoBama 2012

By bigger I ment the gun not the caliber. And yes you would correct on the insecurity.
I carry a bb gun... :D
I carry a squirt gun
Ankle carry isn't useless. There is a time and place for it. If you sit in a car a lot its easier to get out of an ankle holster than a pocket or small of the back holster.

Just because one person has no need for it does not mean somebody else wont find it to be the best option.

Lay it on the dash and make a statement.