well, i'm breaking it...

RSparky

From when I went down, one of the 4 plastic "collars" that held my headlight assembly in place snapped off. It still holds fine with 3.

What I mean by "collars," as I am unsure of the terminology:

The headlight housing has a screwhole that is raised up about a half inch, and the screwhole itself fits in a rubber grommet on the fairing stay. the screw squeezes the headlight housing onto the stay. So, the raised screwhole snapped off. I epoxied it on, with the hopes of being gentle, but you simply can't put any tension on that stuff. It popped as I was tightening. I tried twice. Second time, I got it snug, but it still popped.

Now, my question is this: Should I leave it be? It holds fine. I rode without even knowing it broke for a couple weeks after the fall. Or, should I drill through the other end on the housing, and put my own bolt through with washers at each end to squeeze it? It would be more secure, but it would also be pretty ghetto.

Picture for reference: This is not the side I broke.

428359_10151216486995461_646535460_22288597_822385949_n.jpg

I used a resin based epoxy called Plastex - its a 2 part you mix and apply sort of like bondo. Its more for abs resin body panel repairs so not sure it would work on your headlamp bucket, pretty sure those are more of a nylon based plastic. Epoxy may work better if you "rough up" a section larger than where its broken and sort of build it up around the tab........you may still have trouble though since there's some tension pulling on it from the piece mounting to it. Worth checking into since it is a more forgiving product than epoxy.

http://plastex.net

My head lights were all screwed up from the previous owner laying the bike down, I used epoxy and put it all back together. Give that a shot, get the stuff that comes in 2 separate tubes that you have to mix together and try to "weld" it back together. You will have to hold it in place for a few minutes but after 24 hours its hard as a rock.

EDIT: Hellmut you beat me to it by like 10 seconds lol

Its not really glue, its more like uncured plastic. There is a chemical reaction between the 2 compounds that cures the epoxy so once it dries it is super hard. I would use a bolt for the basic structure but then use epoxy over it to keep the bolt from moving and to add extra strength.